Jedi vs Sith
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BP Oil spill rant

+9
Ptolemy
Disturbed
Sinusoidal
Nihil
dandaman7
Sqrl
Dray The Fingerless
Aardvark
Champion
13 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

BP Oil spill rant Empty BP Oil spill rant

Post by Champion Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:24 pm

Seriously WTF humans? Are you fucking kidding me? Beyond Petrol, the "green" company is sitting on BILLIONS of dollars in profits, yet cannot fix a single fucking leak? YOU OWE IT TO THE PLANET TO SPEND AS MUCH MONEY AS POSSIBLE TO FIX THIS THING IMMEDIATELY. I will NEVER EVER FUCKING buy BP gas again, at ANY station. I dont care if I have to break down and call AAA to tow me to the nearest gas station, I will not buy gas from them. Join me in this boycott please. This should last the rest of your life. Never forget what these greedy vile criminals have done to this planet. These people are criminals and anyone who buys gas from them is colluding with them in criminal acts. The US government should also be held responsible at this point, since they have done little to pressure these faggots into fixing this DISASTER.
Champion
Champion
Founder

+Light/-Dark : 415

Experience Points : 17211
Comments : Champion (n):

3. An ardent defender or supporter of a cause or another person: a champion of the righteous.

Back to top Go down

BP Oil spill rant Empty Re: BP Oil spill rant

Post by Aardvark Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:31 pm

Actually they've done quite a lot to try and stop it. The problem is that when the platform went up, all the gear they were using to harvest the oil got destroyed. It's a little like trying to solve a water main burst with bare-hands and duct tape, only this is about a million times larger. I've kept up with the story and they've tried many ways to seal it off and the government and the President are already breathing down their necks. This is the inherent danger in off-shore oil drilling, but with the mass quantities required to power everyday lives, it is also the only means that gets enough of it to cover everyone.
Aardvark
Aardvark
Prime Minister

+Light/-Dark : -194

Experience Points : 27037
Comments : Likes: Games, Books, Anime, Star Wars.
Dislikes: Punks, Douches, Ignorant People.

Back to top Go down

Post by Champion Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:33 pm

Aardvark wrote:Actually they've done quite a lot to try and stop it. The problem is that when the platform went up, all the gear they were using to harvest the oil got destroyed. It's a little like trying to solve a water main burst with bare-hands and duct tape, only this is about a million times larger. I've kept up with the story and they've tried many ways to seal it off and the government and the President are already breathing down their necks. This is the inherent danger in off-shore oil drilling, but with the mass quantities required to power everyday lives, it is also the only means that gets enough of it to cover everyone.

So you are telling me with BILLIONS of dollars of profits along with government aid they cannot find a solution to this? At the very least, they could have been using hay and transport ships to clean this shit up as it comes up. But noooo that would cost too much money right? There are NO excuses. Money fixes every thing in this world if you have enough of it. They have a duty to mankind and this planet to throw every single penny they have at this till its resolved. Until they do that I don't want to hear "they are trying". And no matter what, in the end its too little too late for me. They no longer will receive a penny from me, and they should not from you either. Then they will understand it would have been better to spend more money then and recieve more later.
Champion
Champion
Founder

3. An ardent defender or supporter of a cause or another person: a champion of the righteous.

Back to top Go down

Post by Aardvark Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:43 pm

Do me a favor. Fill a sink or bathtub with water, preferably at least a foot and a half. Shake a soda can really good. Place the can in the water. Open the can, count to three, then try to hold the soda in with your bare hands as it erupts. After you're done, try getting the soda out of the water without emptying the sink.

Money can't solve everything. The laws of physics still play a huge part in what we can and cannot do. It's actually more of a miracle that this kind of thing doesn't happen more often.
Aardvark
Aardvark
Prime Minister

Back to top Go down

Post by Champion Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:50 pm

Aardvark wrote:Do me a favor. Fill a sink or bathtub with water, preferably at least a foot and a half. Shake a soda can really good. Place the can in the water. Open the can, count to three, then try to hold the soda in with your bare hands as it erupts. After you're done, try getting the soda out of the water without emptying the sink.

Money can't solve everything. The laws of physics still play a huge part in what we can and cannot do. It's actually more of a miracle that this kind of thing doesn't happen more often.

Thats bullshit aard and you know it. I don't even know why you are trying to defend these monkeys. You are telling me they can build a craft capable of enduring space travel and leaving our atmosphere, they can build a plant which harnesses nuclear energy and powers millions of homes, they can design a machine that can fly through the air and carry humans thousands of miles in mere hours and yet they cant just close a fucking hole in the floor? I don't buy it. Sorry. Makes NO SENSE and if you search your soul it won't make sense to you either. I bet if BP would have offered a cash prize of a mere 100,000 or even 1,000,000 to MIT they would have found a solution a month ago.

The reason this is still flowing is because BP refuses to spend money. They want cheap solutions. And the US government is in bed with them in that regard.

edit: moved to rancor pit did not expect anyone to actually disagree with this.

Last edited by Champion on Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Champion
Champion
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Aardvark Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:59 pm

Not defending so much as correcting. You seem to think fixing a leak of this magnitude in the worst possible environment on the planet for the kind of leak it is, is easy. Trying to plug a hole of that size underwater is one of the hardest things you can do, especially considering the sheer force of oil spewing from the hole. And the BP company has already shelled out money well into the millions trying to fix this problem.
Aardvark
Aardvark
Prime Minister

Back to top Go down

Post by Dray The Fingerless Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:26 pm

i dont get one thing. was it a oil tube that bursted, or were they drilling and accidentally let the hole open to the oil reservoir?
Dray The Fingerless
Dray The Fingerless
Senate Representative

+Light/-Dark : 265

Experience Points : 26969
Comments : FIRST!

Back to top Go down

Post by Champion Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:30 pm

Aardvark wrote:Not defending so much as correcting. You seem to think fixing a leak of this magnitude in the worst possible environment on the planet for the kind of leak it is, is easy. Trying to plug a hole of that size underwater is one of the hardest things you can do, especially considering the sheer force of oil spewing from the hole. And the BP company has already shelled out money well into the millions trying to fix this problem.

NOT ENOUGH. They should be spending AS MUCH AS NEEDED to fix it. Not as much as they want to spend within their budget. And, I can think of a great solution. Make a giant fucking ball of something that sinks and just drop it on the area. At least that would stop it for the meantime. I am far from a genius, but like I said, I GUARENTEE you if they offered MIT a reward those savants would come up with a plan within hours if not minutes.

Not to mention, this does not address the fact that they have not been using simple solutions to keep the area clean in the mean time like hay and transport ships.
Champion
Champion
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Dray The Fingerless Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:43 pm

considering they have to close the hole, im gonna rule out the oil tube theory since they can, yor at least should be able, to close the valves in such an event. Champ's idea is a good one. water pressure on a giant silicone ball would make it heavier. however, im gonna take a guess and say the pressure of the oil would make it open more holes to relieve the pressure from the ball.
Dray The Fingerless
Dray The Fingerless
Senate Representative

Back to top Go down

Post by Aardvark Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:44 pm

Not really here to argue in favor of BP, just against the notion that fixing a leak like this is easy. The whole ball argument is negated by 2 things: 1. Pressure of oil spewing from the hole which, since this is in water, has a much greater effect and also since this is in water you can't easily build a mechanism for leverage to force it in place. 2. Plugging a hole that way would only cut down on the leak, not stop it, because trying to keep one liquid from blending into another is virtually impossible and you could never get the plug to be exactly right to fill in the entire hole. It would fill part of it, then pressure would build and the plug would fly off.

It's a leak on the ocean floor Dray.
Aardvark
Aardvark
Prime Minister

Back to top Go down

Post by Dray The Fingerless Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:46 pm

Ah ok, then they are fuked Champ. One simple solution: tumbling down the hole opening. Consequence: that area is full of oil. explosions would....well you get the picture.
Dray The Fingerless
Dray The Fingerless
Senate Representative

Back to top Go down

Post by Champion Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:46 pm

Dray The Fingerless wrote:considering they have to close the hole, im gonna rule out the oil tube theory since they can, yor at least should be able, to close the valves in such an event. Champ's idea is a good one. water pressure on a giant silicone ball would make it heavier. however, im gonna take a guess and say the pressure of the oil would make it open more holes to relieve the pressure from the ball.

I was thinking that. I guess it would depend on the actual structure of the surrounding bedrock. Engineers could assess that in hours if not days with the right equipment (speaking out my ass here but survey teams dont seem to take long). Either way, they should have been cleaning this shit up from day one instead of letting it spread all over the fucking place like it is now and even arriving at beaches. Sigh... all those animals....
Champion
Champion
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Champion Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:49 pm

Aardvark wrote:Not really here to argue in favor of BP, just against the notion that fixing a leak like this is easy. The whole ball argument is negated by 2 things: 1. Pressure of oil spewing from the hole which, since this is in water, has a much greater effect and also since this is in water you can't easily build a mechanism for leverage to force it in place. 2. Plugging a hole that way would only cut down on the leak, not stop it, because trying to keep one liquid from blending into another is virtually impossible and you could never get the plug to be exactly right to fill in the entire hole. It would fill part of it, then pressure would build and the plug would fly off.

It's a leak on the ocean floor Dray.

The ball can easily be made to have enough counter buoyancy to sink and fit the hole, even with pressure from below. Thats where the guys at MIT come in. They could make those calculations as needed. And how would you know it would not stop it? Why is the oil leaking? Its because its under water, and oil floats. Not because their is some natural pump forcing that shit out. And even if their was pressurization, like I said, the right material, the right weight and buoyancy would not be an issue.
Champion
Champion
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Aardvark Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:51 pm

The reason it would keep leaking? Simple, they can't get close enough to the hole to tell it's size.
Aardvark
Aardvark
Prime Minister

Back to top Go down

Post by Champion Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:57 pm

Aardvark wrote:The reason it would keep leaking? Simple, they can't get close enough to the hole to tell it's size.

Just backs up my point even further. They could have spent a few mil a month ago on a deep sea submarine (hell they have ones that go into the marianna trench now). But its almost 2 months later and we still dont even know the size of the hole?
Champion
Champion
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sqrl Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:33 pm

I'll let my opinion fly in this one, i think BP screwed themselves over. But thats my personal opinion. The main reason why the problem isnt fixed is due to as aard said laws of physics. When they tried to cap the leak, moisture from the water caused the pump to 'eject'. They are trying to contain the leak this time by trying to cap the leak again and suck the oil from it. The problem(s) are one the hole they are trying to cover up is about the size of a dish plate. And in this article it states what the problems are.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100601/ap_on_bi_ge/us_gulf_oil_spill_872
Sqrl
Sqrl

+Light/-Dark : -674

Experience Points : 13378
Comments : Soul Stealer, Breath Taker, Ecstasy Extraordinaire.

Back to top Go down

Post by Champion Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:38 pm

That article almost brings a tear to my eye. I feel as if my mother is being raped seeing this happen to the Earth. I feel like my neighbor walked into my house, took a shit on my rug and refuses to clean it.
Champion
Champion
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by dandaman7 Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:57 pm

I have nothing to say it, it is a complete tragedy, at the same time, I don't completely blame BP. Could have happened to anyone, they just didn't plan it out enough. I also don't think it is reasonable to blame them for not being able to fix it, because anyone else should try to too, but they are not, because it is near impossible.
dandaman7
dandaman7

+Light/-Dark : 2

Experience Points : 7079

Back to top Go down

Post by Dray The Fingerless Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:42 pm

not near impossible. Hole location is specified. Correct insertion of debrees is possible. the hole is artificially made, so im guessing the rock structure would allow an implosion. oil burning is a risk, but at that pressure i dont think there is a danger of it spreading. drop a fucking bomb, the implosion that would follow the shockwave would most likely make the surrounding walls cave in. it may not do anth, it may just reduce the leakage. either way, it cant get worser.
Dray The Fingerless
Dray The Fingerless
Senate Representative

Back to top Go down

Post by Aardvark Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:46 pm

An implosion device could backfire and send a pressure wave through the water. In short, that could make the environmental damage worse then it is. It would actually be better to just rebuild an apparatus to funnel the oil to a place it can be stored.
Aardvark
Aardvark
Prime Minister

Back to top Go down

Post by Dray The Fingerless Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:50 pm

insertion of debrees or explosion would do fine aard. it can hardly backfire. Unlike sea floor movements, wich cause tsunamis, a shockwave does not alter volume water is in, it simply pushes water. significance in far off water bodies is minimal. The movement of sea floor alters volumes suddenly, causing a sudden shift in water balance, causing tsunamis. Shockwaves much more like rubber band. Sea floor is as if someone took the floor under your feet.
Dray The Fingerless
Dray The Fingerless
Senate Representative

Back to top Go down

Post by Aardvark Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:25 pm

Aquatic life is very sensitive to pressure waves. Setting off an implossion or explosion would kill any sea life in the vicinity.
Aardvark
Aardvark
Prime Minister

Back to top Go down

Post by Dray The Fingerless Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:05 pm

eh aard....i dont wanna ruin your time but, whatever was down there...is dead now. aquatic life suffers shockwaves all the time. underwater eruptions, plate shifting....
Dray The Fingerless
Dray The Fingerless
Senate Representative

Back to top Go down

Post by Aardvark Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:09 pm

The necessary level of magnitude to close the hole would probably mean a huge death radius. They probably will resort to that, but only if everything in the area is already dead.
Aardvark
Aardvark
Prime Minister

Back to top Go down

Post by Dray The Fingerless Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:28 pm

the pressure down there is quite big. rock is under pressure already. a minor explosion inside the hole radius entrance would just cause the rock to have too much pressure and collapse.
Dray The Fingerless
Dray The Fingerless
Senate Representative

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next