Jedi vs Sith
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SW vs LOTR

+8
Aardvark
Thing
Aureus
Aragorn
Nihil
Dray The Fingerless
Sqrl
Disturbed
12 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Which series is better overall?

SW vs LOTR Voting1029%SW vs LOTR Voting10 29% 
[ 5 ]
SW vs LOTR Voting1071%SW vs LOTR Voting10 71% 
[ 12 ]

Total Votes : 17

SW vs LOTR Empty SW vs LOTR

Post by Disturbed Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:53 pm

perhaps a bad Q to post on a SW forum, but which one was better? I say LOTR hands down.
Disturbed
Disturbed
Forum Enforcer

+Light/-Dark : -67

Experience Points : 10471

Back to top Go down

SW vs LOTR Empty Re: SW vs LOTR

Post by Sqrl Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:57 pm

tbh i have to say they are related with eachother i cant really pick one cause they are essentially the same thing.
Sqrl
Sqrl

+Light/-Dark : -674

Experience Points : 13378
Comments : Soul Stealer, Breath Taker, Ecstasy Extraordinaire.

Back to top Go down

Post by Disturbed Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:01 pm

if they are essentially the same thing, then LOTR wins because it came first, since that implies that Star Wars' success comes from using the experimental formula that LOTR used
Disturbed
Disturbed
Forum Enforcer

Back to top Go down

Post by Dray The Fingerless Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:33 pm

SW. becuz, you are cheating Disturbed. the LOTR books are amazing, and cant be compared becuz SW wasnt on a book.

in terms of movies, SW wins. period.
Dray The Fingerless
Dray The Fingerless
Senate Representative

+Light/-Dark : 265

Experience Points : 26969
Comments : FIRST!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:03 pm

Well, yes, the books were very well written. J.R.R Tolkein is one of my favorite authors. But I honestly enjoyed LOTR movies more than the SW movies.

Back to top Go down

Post by Disturbed Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:28 pm

yes same, because the plot was so well written and peter jackson was the perfect guy (not afraid to make long movies)
Disturbed
Disturbed
Forum Enforcer

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:53 pm

Disturbed wrote:yes same, because the plot was so well written and peter jackson was the perfect guy (not afraid to make long movies)

I feel he felt that this series shouldn't be screwed up with a crappy first attempt (The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Eragon), and made it a point to spend the necessary time on making it above and beyond standards.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nihil Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:41 pm

listen, you can't compare two great legends, just like you can't compare Led Zeppelin to Bach, in this manner, both are equally great.
Nihil
Nihil

+Light/-Dark : -912

Experience Points : 12289
Comments : https://www.facebook.com/mattbcarr

Back to top Go down

Post by Aragorn Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:56 pm

I would agree. Both are good for their own respects. They both hit different genres. Fantasy and Sci-Fi. So you can't really argue with facts on this, just opinions. You can't say SW is better because it has a lightsaber because you can argue that LOTR is good because it has a magical sword in it. Both of those are unrealistic and essential to both the plot and the over sub-creation of the movies. I am like them both, I prefer LOTR if you couldn't tell but both are really good.
Aragorn
Aragorn
Grand Master of the Jedi Order

+Light/-Dark : -79

Experience Points : 12076
Comments : Invincibility lies in the defence; the possibility of victory in the attack. ~ Sun Tzu

Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat. ~ Sun Tzu

Back to top Go down

Post by Disturbed Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:23 am

yes the debate is roughly based on opinion, but you could use fact to support which had the greater impact on the whole industry as a whole
Disturbed
Disturbed
Forum Enforcer

Back to top Go down

Post by Aragorn Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:27 am

Then it would be LOTR. It was created by a legendary author and Return of the King did better than any of the Star Wars movies in the box office.
Aragorn
Aragorn

Comments : Invincibility lies in the defence; the possibility of victory in the attack. ~ Sun Tzu

Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat. ~ Sun Tzu

Back to top Go down

Post by Disturbed Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:31 am

precisely, not only that but if u notice, almost every one has been attempting to make an off shoot of LOTR since it came out, video games, books, movies all coming off that. But by seeing how pathetic they usually are, u realize just how masterful a job was done by Tolkien.

Star Wars was innovative in many ways, but it didn't really revolutionize the film industry or anything
Disturbed
Disturbed
Forum Enforcer

Back to top Go down

Post by Aureus Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:46 am

Chronicles of Narnia
Aureus
Aureus
Dark Council

+Light/-Dark : 34

Experience Points : 16948
Comments : Henry David Thoreau
Our truest life is when we are in our dreams awake.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nihil Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:56 am

chronicles of narnia written by TOLKIENS FRIEND YOU FOOL

those two were best buds, and according to the author the narnia series, tolkein and his friend helped convicne him to turn to religion.

also, i'd say star wars had the greatest impact on the MOVIE macking industry and the video games, medieval junk, it was around long before the movie popularized its stuff, and tolkein studied medieval literature and myths, just lucas studied other works.
Nihil
Nihil

+Light/-Dark : -912

Experience Points : 12289
Comments : https://www.facebook.com/mattbcarr

Back to top Go down

Post by Disturbed Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:13 am

my nihil baiting worked =D lets get this party started
Disturbed
Disturbed
Forum Enforcer

Back to top Go down

Post by Aragorn Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:14 am

You do realize Star Wars has medieval qualities and ideals in it right? I wouldn't consider it junk when it has had one of the biggest impact in the entertainment business itself. Movies,books,video games,plays etc.. all have been heavily impacted by the medieval times.
Aragorn
Aragorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Dray The Fingerless Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:19 am

Disturbed wrote:precisely, not only that but if u notice, almost every one has been attempting to make an off shoot of LOTR since it came out, video games, books, movies all coming off that. But by seeing how pathetic they usually are, u realize just how masterful a job was done by Tolkien.

Star Wars was innovative in many ways, but it didn't really revolutionize the film industry or anything

WHAT? DIDNT REVOLUTIONIZE THE INDUSTRY?

AHAHAHAHAHAHA

*turns on cinema snob mode*

Not ONLY would you not even have a LOTR trilogy nowadays without star wars, you would have no avatar, or pretty much half of sci fi or fantasy movies made since then. Before Star Wars happened, anth in the realm of the fantastic was a b-movie shoot off, not recognized by anyone. It was Star Wars who opened that realm. The only reason it doesnt have a major oscar, like best actor, or best movie, is becuz, tbh, the Oscars are the biggest piece of shit awards ever made. They would never attribute any major oscars to sci fi or fantasy movies. The impact of Star wars made their views change a little, allowing newer movies of sci fi and fantasy to get those oscars. Im saying this because most LOTR fans bring up that shitty argument of the Oscar. Star Wars became what you could call a cult classic, and the sheer volume of people that follow it can overthrow the LOTR followers any day. IT is the icon of movie making. When you think cinema, Star Wars is there in the first names that come to your mind. I believe LOTR was a great movie, and the fact that it was made now, and with more money available then the original trilogy, makes it better visually, but in those terms i could just use the Prequels to shut that up about visuals. They may not have been masterpieces in movie as a general, but they were visual masterpieces.

If you go thru industry influence, you cant even FATHOM to put LOTR influence next to Star Wars influence. Its unthinkable.

Also, for the time they came out, those special effects were awesome and revolutionary, the same way people are speaking of Avatar nowadays. Only more
Dray The Fingerless
Dray The Fingerless
Senate Representative

Back to top Go down

Post by Disturbed Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:24 am

LOTR was written well before star wars. Star Wars, Harry Potter and all the hit franchises that came later all have major influences from LOTR. Of course, the effects of Star Wars definitely revolutionized the film industry int their own way, but the material itself was not extremely innovative if compared with Lotr. I love how Lotr while being medieval had some connection to real life, and it wasn't all about some random magic that everyone could use. Gandalf was one of the few that cud use magic and even then he does not walk around using spells to blow up whole battalions of orcs, and saruman did not use his magic except subtly. Its way different from the stuff that comes out these days. Star Wars had good political references but still borrowed off of LOtr, which I think is sort of the father of all current sci fi/ fantasy media
Disturbed
Disturbed
Forum Enforcer

Back to top Go down

Post by Aragorn Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:27 am

How do you figure there would be no LOTR without Star wars. That sentence makes no sense because they are different genres. Star Wars opened no doors for movies like LOTR because LOTR came before Star Wars with the books. Star Wars visually is better but of course its going to better when the setting is different. You're gonna have better visual effects when you are flying around in space and using lightsabres and hyperspace. There is nothing like that in LOTR so how can you even compare the two visually when they aren't even the same. If you wanna compare graphics to two movies that are roughly the same, do Star Wars and the new Star Trek, comparing LOTR and Star Wars visually is a stupid comparison.

Those Oscars that you say are POS's catapulted so many peoples careers and so many movies made more money and got more recognition because of that award. If the award is so bad, why does it do so much good for nominees and winners? I dont see where you get icon for movie making. Yes it was influential but that's an awfully big statement to say it IS the icon for all movies when in fact thats farthest from the truth. That movie did not impact every single genre of film to be THE movie icon. I don' really think there is a "move icon" because no one movie has had that much impact.
Aragorn
Aragorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Dray The Fingerless Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:31 am

well yeah, anth having to do with Fantasy comes from Tolkien, and anth that has to do with Sci Fi comes from Verne or Welles.

your argument is invalid thou. im talking about industry impact, and movie revolution. the changes that happened after Star Wars came out are FAR more important then the ones given by LOTR. not to mention, LOTR just came out not even a decade ago.

How can you even see what influence it has impacted?

For all you know, this hype you see might just be that. Hype that comes with the moment. After 30 years, Star Wars' influence is still felt all thru out the movie market.

Honestly, its like you ignored what i said. Star Wars wasnt put in a book, and you keep bringing a book in a argument about movies. If we are talking about the movies, we talk about the movies. I never bring the borrowed ideas movies acquire. LOTR is a great fantasty story, prolly THE fantasy story. But we are comparing the movies here.

And in terms of influence, politically, CINEMATICALLY, artistically, and culturally...Star Wars is unbeatable in that.
Dray The Fingerless
Dray The Fingerless
Senate Representative

Back to top Go down

Post by Aragorn Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:35 am

Visually, Star Wars is best because the setting is different you can't really compare those. Plot wise, LotR blows Star Wars out of the water and I can bring the books into it because the books are the movies and the movies are the books. I don't see how you can say Star Wars had a bigger impact where the influence for most of the ideals in that movie come from medieval ideals and from things tolkien has done. He studied medieval literature for God sake's he is arguably the father of medieval literature therefore he is one responsible for said influence. With that said, Star Wars would be nowhere without LotR because of the influence it had on the cinematic industry.
Aragorn
Aragorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Dray The Fingerless Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:36 am

Ara, i CAN compare both visually, how the camera angles are done, how well the special effects are, how well focused the scenes are made, how well detailed a scene is. YOUR argument is stupid. i cant compare them becuz the visual effects are doing different things? no, thats wrong.

i cna see when one visual effect is done better then another. LOTR and the prequels are on par on that point.

i say its the icon, becuz honestly, if you come to a person and say.
"Name me some movies"

90% the time amongst the first names, Star Wars is gonna pop up.
Dray The Fingerless
Dray The Fingerless
Senate Representative

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:38 am

This thread makes me lul.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dray The Fingerless Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:40 am

And you dont get the point. Your argument keeps being the same

"LOTR had more influence cause the books influenced evth."

Thats a fallacy.

We are discussing the movies, and the movies alone. Saying the books is the movie is wrong. I didnt go to the theater to read the fucking book. I went to see the movie. Many movies that come from books blow ass many times. I went to see if LOTR the movie was a good movie. And it was. i honestly couldnt give a fuck if it was based off of a kindergarten story. The movie was awesome.

Im discussing what impact Star Wars had in the cinema industry when it came out,, comparing it to the impact the LOTR movies had when they came out.

And to shut you up Ara about the Oscars, i say they are a piece of shit becuz, like you said, they promoted many actors and directors with their awards. But what happened to the AMAZING actors and directors they cast off, becuz their movies were sci fi and fantasy? Hell, imagine if Star Wars hadnt been loved by the crowd. you know now it is a great movie, but imagine the people at that time didnt like it. The only other way for the people participant in those films to gain recognition would be in the oscars. Do you think Harrison Ford would have had a career if it depended on the Oscars? No, that Academy is the most biased shit ive seen. Sure they promote actors and directors, but they promote the ones they feel like it.

Last edited by Dray The Fingerless on Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Dray The Fingerless
Dray The Fingerless
Senate Representative

Back to top Go down

Post by Thing Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:40 am

I think when he said that without Star Wars there would be no LotR, he means the movies...

I like Star Wars more than LotR... call me crazy, but there's just something about manipulating everything around you that's just way more entertaining than fighting Orcs.
Thing
Thing
Senator - Forum Enforcer

+Light/-Dark : 143

Experience Points : 17693
Comments : A is Atari, the first on the scene. B is Bits, be they 8 or 16. C for Controller Cords stretched ‘cross the floor. D for the Dreamcast, a console no more. E is Ecco, the porpoise-y sea hero. F is for Fantasies Final… Look, chocobos! G is for Genesis, 16-bit mirth. H is for Hyrule, land of Link’s birth. I is for Infocom’s text-based frivoloties. J is for John Carmack’s first-person novelties. K for Konami’s dark vampire tales. L for the Lemmings who march without fail. M is for Mario. Run, goombas, run! N for Nintendo, the first name is fun. O is for Oddworld, with games strage and clever. P is for Pac-Man, who caused quite a fever. Q is for Q-Bert’s curse-filled speech bubble. R is for Ridley, who gave Samus trouble. S is for Sonic, his fleet feet reknowned. T is for Tetris blocks falling in mounds. U is for Ulala’s fast, funky feet. V is for Video cards, fast obsolete. W for Wizardry; through dungeons we’d scurry. X for the Xbox, as big as Missouri. Y is for Yoshi, a plumber’s best friend. Z is for Zelda, and here this rhyme ends.
See ya in anothah life, brothah. - Desmond Hume

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next