Jedi vs Sith
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Religion

+14
Thing
Mia
Necal
JeVaS
Aureus
Aragorn
Sqrl
Daft Punk
Disturbed
Ðaaaaa
Nihil
Jacen
Dray The Fingerless
Dawn_Twilight
18 posters

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Religion - Page 3 Empty Re: Religion

Post by Aureus Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:52 pm

I am Catholic but highly believe in the world was created with a big bang, and that the first cell was made from lightning (Been proved so shh) So idk Lolz does it matter? We're gonna die and something might happen something might not, it's just the F-tards who take it too far (fk u terrorists, fk u)
Aureus
Aureus
Dark Council

+Light/-Dark : 34

Experience Points : 16949
Comments : Henry David Thoreau
Our truest life is when we are in our dreams awake.

Back to top Go down

Post by JeVaS Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:50 am

ok i guess ill jump into the fire pit (super smart of me )
look i dont beleave in a god ... im atheist , but i dont hate ppl that beleave in a god , i just hate it when they put religion in politics , and science , keep it out of thoose two thing then i dont really give a shit what u beleave in
you could beleave in the gaint flying spugety monster in space , as long as u dont put in to thoose two things
and as far as putting it into how we came here and how every thing started, science is in that too , but they dont know how all that matter got there so maybe god made that or somthin , idk .... who knows ....

but if yall ppl really want me to post why i dont beleave in a god then find i will , but if no 1 really cares then im not going to waste my time then

try to convince some 1 to not beleave what they beleave is like try to beat a dead horse (or atleast try to make a difference with what you say idk , somthin)
JeVaS
JeVaS

+Light/-Dark : 1

Experience Points : 5349

Back to top Go down

Post by Necal Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:33 pm

So... were're on the morality aspect at this point? Okay.

I can think of only a single moral religion (not counting parodies). Buddhism. Let me tell you something; no matter how douchebaggish it may be (every karma or karma-like based religion has a large element of douche baggery), there is nothing in any teachings of the buddha to suggest violence, and only a few sects are violent in any way; all of which have evolved in self defense.

Then come all the morally neutral religions. These don't have any books. They are mostly umbrella terms, such as Wicca. There can be morally wrong wiccans, but, since Wicca lacks any central tennants, it itself cannot be called morally wrong. Many tribal religions also fall under this catagory. Yes, most are violent, but these evolved as a way to keep its followers alive. When it comes to surviving, I am more than willing to excuse most actions.

Finally, we come to the morally wrong (in my opinion) religions. No matter how you look at it, allegorical, litteral, whatever, the Koran and the Bible are morally wrong in our modern society. Luckily for us, most of their followers have never just sat down and read it. While they might actually lose followers if that happened, the action would also turn a bunch of its followers into fanatics. Better to have a million moderates than fifty thousand fanatics.
Necal
Necal

+Light/-Dark : -3

Experience Points : 5532

Back to top Go down

Post by Disturbed Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:07 pm

you are quite wrong. Extremists I believe come from both sides. And most of the so called fanatics are just using the religion as a cover up for their own political agendas. They don't really give a fuck whether they go to heaven or hell. In fact, if ppl actually read the books, there would be a lot more understanding of each other and a lot more tolerance, if they read it and didn't try to get it to fit their own interpretations. The Quran for example, forbids violence except after being first offended
Disturbed
Disturbed
Forum Enforcer

+Light/-Dark : -67

Experience Points : 10472

Back to top Go down

Post by Necal Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:49 pm

'Offended'.

You know what offends a lot of people? People who don't believe in their religion.

And you cannot quote a single sentence in any holy book to get your point across unless it is not contradicted.

I know the bible best, so I'll use that.

'Thou shalt not commit murder'. Simple.

You know what the penalty for working on the sabbath is? Death.

You know what the penalty for teenagers who are disobedient to their parents is? Death.

Penalty for womens wearing mens clothing? Death.(historical quickie; THAT is the charge that got Joan of Arc killed)

I don't even need to state the penalty for witchcraft.

Simply put, there are always contradictions. And that's what messes up fanatics. When they read it, they have trouble comprehending it all. They look for someone to tell them the 'true word of god', and help them make sense of it all. Yes, the guys at the head are either nuts or have their own political agenda, but its the support of the masses that make the heads dangerous.
Necal
Necal

Back to top Go down

Post by Mia Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:13 pm

Without religion humans would master speed of light till now. A lot of people lose time praying hours to something that's useless and not true instead to do something with what they can go in future. But it is only fail for people who still live in age when humans were more animals. It is step back in evolution, it is for primitive, it is a waste.
Mia
Mia

+Light/-Dark : 6

Experience Points : 5754

Back to top Go down

Post by Aureus Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:14 pm

That's actually not true because scientists tend to believe in science... We'll that's worded wrong and an assumption but I doubt without religion or technological advances would skyrocket to the level of intelligence..
Aureus
Aureus
Dark Council

Back to top Go down

Post by Mia Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:21 pm

Thing is you can believe in what can be true and in supernatural what isn't true. So drop lie and you get the only truth. And that doesn't smell as religion. Believing in something would be called religioning in something if it was one same word, but it is not.
Mia
Mia

Back to top Go down

Post by Aureus Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:26 pm

But that's your opinion on what you believe and you saying what is and what isn't

–noun
a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, esp. when considered as the creation of a superhumanagency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conductof human affairs.

Believing in science is religion... believing in Atheism is a religion as well for having your opinion on what will happen in the end
Aureus
Aureus
Dark Council

Back to top Go down

Post by Mia Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:31 pm

Well that's an opinion as well, at least I evolved hihihih.
Mia
Mia

Back to top Go down

Post by Aureus Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:35 pm

Mia wrote:Well that's an opinion as well, at least I evolved hihihih.
Flame? jk but how is mine an opinion, imo I believe in an afterlife, God and science... What I posted was a human definition of Religion along with giving evidence that this debate results in the same outcome either way you cut it Religion - Page 3 349920
Aureus
Aureus
Dark Council

Back to top Go down

Post by Necal Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:54 pm

FrostBiite wrote:But that's your opinion on what you believe and you saying what is and what isn't

–noun
a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, esp. when considered as the creation of a superhumanagency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conductof human affairs.

Believing in science is religion... believing in Atheism is a religion as well for having your opinion on what will happen in the end

Okay, in a very broad and litteral sense, the 'believing in science thing' works. Broad in that it stretchs the defintion, litteral in that it makes no leeway for the colloquial usage of religion. Beyond that, you seem to lack the one thing all religions have in common. Faith.

Now, the atheism thing? Wrong. Absolutly wrong. Atheism is defined as the lack of belief in a personal god or gods (in the common sense), and as the lack of belief in any gods (in a far more strict sense). See the fourth word? Beliefs. Atheism is not defined by its beliefs. It is defined by the status as not believing in something.
Necal
Necal

Back to top Go down

Post by Nihil Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:21 pm

They take Atheism in Census polling as a religion, i'm pretty sure.
Nihil
Nihil

+Light/-Dark : -912

Experience Points : 12290
Comments : https://www.facebook.com/mattbcarr

Back to top Go down

Post by Thing Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:23 pm

I think you mean philosophy...

It can't be a religion if it doesn't have a deity.
Thing
Thing
Senator - Forum Enforcer

+Light/-Dark : 143

Experience Points : 17694
Comments : A is Atari, the first on the scene. B is Bits, be they 8 or 16. C for Controller Cords stretched ‘cross the floor. D for the Dreamcast, a console no more. E is Ecco, the porpoise-y sea hero. F is for Fantasies Final… Look, chocobos! G is for Genesis, 16-bit mirth. H is for Hyrule, land of Link’s birth. I is for Infocom’s text-based frivoloties. J is for John Carmack’s first-person novelties. K for Konami’s dark vampire tales. L for the Lemmings who march without fail. M is for Mario. Run, goombas, run! N for Nintendo, the first name is fun. O is for Oddworld, with games strage and clever. P is for Pac-Man, who caused quite a fever. Q is for Q-Bert’s curse-filled speech bubble. R is for Ridley, who gave Samus trouble. S is for Sonic, his fleet feet reknowned. T is for Tetris blocks falling in mounds. U is for Ulala’s fast, funky feet. V is for Video cards, fast obsolete. W for Wizardry; through dungeons we’d scurry. X for the Xbox, as big as Missouri. Y is for Yoshi, a plumber’s best friend. Z is for Zelda, and here this rhyme ends.
See ya in anothah life, brothah. - Desmond Hume

Back to top Go down

Post by Mia Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:25 pm

Frost it is not a flame, I am sorry if you took it like that. Tho if I wanted to flame you, you would know, and I wouldn't use forum. Sine here like that would be against rules.
I agree with you Necal. I can believe in what can be proved, not in stories without facts (tho I can enjoy in them). In science people must prove to others and for themselves so they can believe in it, till then always there is a doubt. And that is for sure not a religion. And gods? Where are they? So powerful yet they don't do anything, and there is no proof, why would I believe in something like that, for me it is just like any other story.
Mia
Mia

Back to top Go down

Post by Aureus Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:35 am

I was jking about the flame idc if people curse me out Lolz it's their opinion of me on that situation... but neways:
Thing I put up the definition of religion so I wouldn't have some1 argue me with that point of it not having a God
Aureus
Aureus
Dark Council

Back to top Go down

Post by Disturbed Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:02 am

k suppose god doesn't exist. Will it hurt us later? No. Suppose he exists...then all the atheists are fucked.
Disturbed
Disturbed
Forum Enforcer

Back to top Go down

Post by Dray The Fingerless Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:04 am

suppose i dont wnana waste more lifetime then i already do...Razz
Dray The Fingerless
Dray The Fingerless
Senate Representative

+Light/-Dark : 265

Experience Points : 26970
Comments : FIRST!

Back to top Go down

Post by Necal Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:08 am

thing944 wrote:I think you mean philosophy...

Buddhism. Buddhism is a religion, and buddhism has no dieties (Buddha is not a diety. Buddha is simply a human who has reachd enlightenment).

And disturbed? That's pascal's wager. It doesn't work because it assumes that the god in question awards someone for faith, not for being a good person. Which works, if only because Pascal only applied it to the christian religion (discounting all the other religions).
Necal
Necal

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:16 am

I find anyone who only believes in the seen and proven to be using half of their mind.

Back to top Go down

Post by Disturbed Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:24 am

did I say anything abt a particular religion? I'm not christian either. God rewards all those who have faith in him.
Disturbed
Disturbed
Forum Enforcer

Back to top Go down

Post by Necal Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:26 am

But why?

Faith is not worth a reward.

Being a nice person is worth a reward.

Going to church once a week to pray is not worth a reward.

Volunteering at the soup kitchen everyday, donating as much as you can to chairty is worth a reward.

It is only an evil god who rewards based on faith.
Necal
Necal

Back to top Go down

Post by Aureus Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:48 am

Necal wrote:
thing944 wrote:I think you mean philosophy...

Buddhism. Buddhism is a religion, and buddhism has no dieties (Buddha is not a diety. Buddha is simply a human who has reachd enlightenment).

And disturbed? That's pascal's wager. It doesn't work because it assumes that the god in question awards someone for faith, not for being a good person. Which works, if only because Pascal only applied it to the christian religion (discounting all the other religions).
Tbh Buddhism is a religion, but it's because they believe they have the God inside them and to reach nirvana is to become one with that inner force at more times then others... to be "present" (I studied this in english)
Aureus
Aureus
Dark Council

Back to top Go down

Post by Dray The Fingerless Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:49 am

ShadowSaint wrote:I find anyone who only believes in the seen and proven to be using half of their mind.

i find believeing in the unseen and the unproven without any doubts to be using none of their mind. logic is what you are. you are trying to run away from logic from doing so. god is not irrefutable, nor is he impossible. if i choose to doubt his existence, i have every right to do so, and it wont be some books written by people who didnt have anth else to answer their questions about the world that will change my mind. and i can tell you right now, in your own faith standards, if you do not doubt god or his existence, not even once, then you do not believe in him.
Dray The Fingerless
Dray The Fingerless
Senate Representative

+Light/-Dark : 265

Experience Points : 26970
Comments : FIRST!

Back to top Go down

Post by Aureus Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:57 am

Dray The Fingerless wrote:if you do not doubt god or his existence, not even once, then you do not believe in him.
That's a good line
Aureus
Aureus
Dark Council

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next