Jedi vs Sith
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Religion

+14
Thing
Mia
Necal
JeVaS
Aureus
Aragorn
Sqrl
Daft Punk
Disturbed
Ðaaaaa
Nihil
Jacen
Dray The Fingerless
Dawn_Twilight
18 posters

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Religion - Page 2 Empty Re: Religion

Post by Dray The Fingerless Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:11 am

Drist wrote:
Dray The Fingerless wrote:
i love jesus. i hate jesus followers.

Sorry you hate me. D:

i dont hate you personally, i hate the idea that jesus followers have in general.
Dray The Fingerless
Dray The Fingerless
Senate Representative

+Light/-Dark : 265

Experience Points : 26970
Comments : FIRST!

Back to top Go down

Post by Daft Punk Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:06 pm

Has anyone mentioned "Red Shift" yet?
Daft Punk
Daft Punk

+Light/-Dark : 3

Experience Points : 5791

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:13 pm

The truth is, you win. I can only stall with realistic things that don't parallel Evolution. But in the end I can't win logically. It comes down to faith. Now lets be friends and get over this.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nihil Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:31 pm

blind faith is an ironic gift to return to the creator of human intelligence...

i don't use blind faith

i believe in a god because of logic, cells, and the universe

the logic of it is this, a god has to exist because matter cannot create itself, and matter that is could not come about, so the universe can't be the "first",

you may say, then how did god create himself,

well, just like the holocaust, there can really never be an answer to that, because it goes beyond logic, its counter-intuitive

like the fact that objects moving close to the speed of light actually SHRINK IN SIZE, they don't turn oblong.

but when you deal with things such as an OMNIPOTENT being, then there is always the answer of, just because
Nihil
Nihil

+Light/-Dark : -912

Experience Points : 12290
Comments : https://www.facebook.com/mattbcarr

Back to top Go down

Post by Daft Punk Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:35 pm

Look at it this way weigh up your options

Scientists: have chemicals, tools, rockets, supercomputers and made things like electricity and the motorised vehicle

Religion: have a book... yeah...
Daft Punk
Daft Punk

Back to top Go down

Post by Nihil Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:36 pm

Daft Punk wrote:Look at it this way weigh up your options

Scientists: have chemicals, tools, rockets, supercomputers and made things like electricity and the motorised vehicle

Religion: have a book... yeah...

didn't speak of a book,

i spoke of logic, such that it demands a god
Nihil
Nihil

Back to top Go down

Post by Daft Punk Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:39 pm

Logic doesnt even bring into thought a super sentient with omnipotency and omnisicrency. Im sorry but if you do you have are verry vivid imagination or are smoking something. Would you have come to that conclusion if you haden't heard of religion at all? No you would have thought of something a lot more realistic and a lot less drastic.
Daft Punk
Daft Punk

Back to top Go down

Post by Aragorn Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:41 pm

There is a difference between following a religion and following God. Believing in God is different than believing in a religion. Christians are meant to be "christ like" thats what christian means.Often times christians get caught up in religion and stray away from God and what he really is. Yeah, science has rockets,chemicals and all that stuff but none of that would have existed without God. Thats all I am gonna post in this topic.
Aragorn
Aragorn
Grand Master of the Jedi Order

+Light/-Dark : -79

Experience Points : 12077
Comments : Invincibility lies in the defence; the possibility of victory in the attack. ~ Sun Tzu

Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat. ~ Sun Tzu

Back to top Go down

Post by Nihil Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:44 pm

oook

here

the law of conservation of mass and energy states that matter cannot be destroyed or created and the same applies to energy

???

how can the universe exist with all that matter and energy without something influencing it??

we will never know because...

i didn't really want to do this but w/e, its not that hard

Religion - Page 2 Glcaus1

think about it this way, where the cones meet, is an event, now see this image, open it in a new tab

Religion - Page 2 Timeline

now draw the conclusion...
Nihil
Nihil

Back to top Go down

Post by Daft Punk Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:46 pm

look up red shift
Daft Punk
Daft Punk

Back to top Go down

Post by Dray The Fingerless Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:32 am

Drist wrote:The truth is, you win. I can only stall with realistic things that don't parallel Evolution. But in the end I can't win logically. It comes down to faith. Now lets be friends and get over this.

To put it simple Drist, there is one thing above God. The defining, culminating, most important thing about being a human being. Logic. Rational thought. If God does not compute with the thing that defines us as humans....its doing it wrong. :/. I cannot rule out the possibility of a God, but i can most certainly state that many of the theories i believe in, almost all, are much much much more probable, pratical, and morally right then the ones preached by religions around the world. That is where i stand. Friendship has nth to do with a debate dude. i think you all need to learn to separate things. you are my friends, regardless of these things.
Dray The Fingerless
Dray The Fingerless
Senate Representative

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:03 am

No i mean dont think less of me for not believing in the evidence. ive stated my case.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nihil Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:12 am

Drist wrote:No i mean dont think less of me for not believing in the evidence. ive stated my case.

We still love joo ^^

No homo
Nihil
Nihil

Back to top Go down

Post by Disturbed Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:02 pm

I respect those that follow the Bible, even if it has been somewhat convoluted, but other books that have been unchanged for ages have values that still apply. Dray, morals don't always develop, look at modern society and tell me how morally good it is.
Disturbed
Disturbed
Forum Enforcer

+Light/-Dark : -67

Experience Points : 10472

Back to top Go down

Post by Dray The Fingerless Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:06 pm

Ilmarë wrote:I respect those that follow the Bible, even if it has been somewhat convoluted, but other books that have been unchanged for ages have values that still apply. Dray, morals don't always develop, look at modern society and tell me how morally good it is.

yes, some morals dont always develop, the key word being SOME. if certain points of a book arent valid, then the omnitruth that the book preaches is unvalid too. just becuz parts of it are applied, doesnt mean its right about evth. and it definitly doesnt mean that its the right book to preach about the ultimate truth.
Dray The Fingerless
Dray The Fingerless
Senate Representative

Back to top Go down

Post by Nihil Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:21 am

i disagree, because then,

just like our constitution,

which allowed slavery, would mean we should get rid of our constitution, and so, from that vantage, it applies the same to religious texts that it is up to the interpreter, protestant revolution and stuff like that.
Nihil
Nihil

Back to top Go down

Post by Dray The Fingerless Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:53 am

Nihil wrote:i disagree, because then,

which allowed slavery, would mean we should get rid of our constitution, and so, from that vantage, it applies the same to religious texts that it is up to the interpreter, protestant revolution and stuff like that.

aaah but you see, you are allowed to evolve and change your constitution, and thus you have, changing your 13th amemdment to abolish slavery and involuntary servitude, but religion relys on dogmas, and this is probably where eveery religion fails, its incapacity to admit mistake in its own writtings, and to correct them or adapt them to our days. but then again, if they did that, they would be admitting that 'God' was wrong, and we cant have that now can we?
Dray The Fingerless
Dray The Fingerless
Senate Representative

Back to top Go down

Post by Nihil Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:33 pm

thats what religion always comes down to the interpreter, the individulal,

of course, if you are catholic thats a different story, but still, this is what the majority of todays people do, interpret for themselves from religious texts
Nihil
Nihil

Back to top Go down

Post by Dray The Fingerless Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:43 pm

Nihil wrote:

thats what religion always comes down to the interpreter, the individulal,

of course, if you are catholic thats a different story, but still, this is what the majority of todays people do, interpret for themselves from religious texts

and thus i present you the greatest example of how flawed that theory is.

islamic terrorist groups. they interpretate their book in their own way. yet teh islamic community says that the way they are reading it is wrong, and that the Coran does not preach their actions. i think it was all the suicidal mass murders taht convinced them of that.... Religion - Page 2 790112 so you see, while a closed dogmatic view of religious texts allows for them to be wrong, the free personal view allows for obscenities to happen, because of a certain faction who views the books a certain way. and this interpretation in a morally destructive way hasnt happened only with muslims, oh no, it goes as old as the Council of Nicaea.

i guess your next argument will say taht some interpretations will of course be too wrong for society, and these are sick twisted versions. am i right?
Dray The Fingerless
Dray The Fingerless
Senate Representative

Back to top Go down

Post by Nihil Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:06 pm

well, i'm arguing that the idea of religious texts being flawed is wrong, because it is up to the interpreter,

who am i to say that islamic terrorists aren't wrong?
all i know is that it is morally not justifiable
Nihil
Nihil

Back to top Go down

Post by Dray The Fingerless Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:12 pm

Nihil wrote:well, i'm arguing that the idea of religious texts being flawed is wrong, because it is up to the interpreter,

who am i to say that islamic terrorists aren't wrong?
all i know is that it is morally not justifiable

the fact is, these texts WERENT depending on the interpreter. but with the evolution of society, christians and other religions have found a means to prolongue their catatonic existence, by saying "Oh these books, you know, its whatever you think it is, really, its all about you" opposed to "This is the word of God, and thou shall take it by hand".
Dray The Fingerless
Dray The Fingerless
Senate Representative

Back to top Go down

Post by Nihil Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:20 pm

it has been happening for ages, since the church stopped ruling lands, and besides, who is to say that they shouldn't be interpreted? Not many literally interpret the Koran, and not many Literally interpret the bible, for in there lie discrepancies, the interpretation is from the stories.

I believe there was someone like Abraham, Mohammed and Jesus, does that mean i literally believe each of these stories? no but since they teach the doctrine of morals in a non literal way, yes.

like i said, i'm not really any religion, i just believe in a god,

but that doesn't mean that these texts aren't valid? they are all valid, because it is up to the interpreter, they were written in a different time, and how stories evolve, this is undoubtedly a part of it, another part would be penmanship, a good author has to sell his story^^
Nihil
Nihil

Back to top Go down

Post by Dray The Fingerless Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:24 pm

Nihil wrote:it has been happening for ages, since the church stopped ruling lands, and besides, who is to say that they shouldn't be interpreted? Not many literally interpret the Koran, and not many Literally interpret the bible, for in there lie discrepancies, the interpretation is from the stories.

I believe there was someone like Abraham, Mohammed and Jesus, does that mean i literally believe each of these stories? no but since they teach the doctrine of morals in a non literal way, yes.

like i said, i'm not really any religion, i just believe in a god,

but that doesn't mean that these texts aren't valid? they are all valid, because it is up to the interpreter, they were written in a different time, and how stories evolve, this is undoubtedly a part of it, another part would be penmanship, a good author has to sell his story^^

yes, it should be interpreted as any other book, such as those self estime helping books, or fables. my problem, comes when it tries to be more than that. more then a book with stories and morals. a book with stories and lessons. when it tries to make humanity bow to it, adore it, and blindly follow it.
Dray The Fingerless
Dray The Fingerless
Senate Representative

Back to top Go down

Post by Nihil Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:00 pm

ya lol, that is a problem then, because these books are great moral sources, religious texts, but you can't just interpret literally and follow its everyword, because even its writers are humans.
Nihil
Nihil

Back to top Go down

Post by Daft Punk Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:04 pm

Dont start with misinterpretations or takeing things out of context thats what the "snake handlers" are for xD
Daft Punk
Daft Punk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next