Jedi vs Sith
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Religion

+14
Thing
Mia
Necal
JeVaS
Aureus
Aragorn
Sqrl
Daft Punk
Disturbed
Ðaaaaa
Nihil
Jacen
Dray The Fingerless
Dawn_Twilight
18 posters

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Religion Empty Religion

Post by Dawn_Twilight Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:24 am

He he, thought I'd bring this over from the ol' forums ^^

o_o so yeah! Begin you crazy debaters Religion 581379

I would like to share a new view of my own o.O!

In my opinion, religion may be neccasary for man to evolve, until man basically becomes somewhat of their own god. I mean look at it now today, we can clone animals, we have control over the genetics of plants and other animals, the power to destroy ourselves a thousand times over (YAY Too many Nuclear War Heads in like every major country!).

That and Religion now a days, is leading to people being somewhat close-minded. Since you all know (or should know) I'm Bisexual, right? I just thought of all of these religious dumbasses trying to say being GLBTis "sinful, wrong and disgusting" just because a book "says so" To be honest, a mortal man just like you and me, wrote that book, not a all powerful and all knowing god that watches over us and crap? Also, there usually is some Religious nonsense in a lot or prejudice, racism and the likes throughout history? Along with religion somewhat seperating people or making others feel inferior. Look at Hinduism (no offense to any hindus here!) with their rigid cast system that has influenced India since the Ayrans showed up. The Brahmans at the top, Warriors, Commoners and the "Untouchables"...

I'm just saying, Religion may have been neccasary early on, but in my opinion if man wants to evolve then we're going to have to ditch religion. Not to say eventually everything would be...Contradicting it anyhow...
Dawn_Twilight
Dawn_Twilight

+Light/-Dark : -8

Experience Points : 6208

Back to top Go down

Religion Empty Re: Religion

Post by Dray The Fingerless Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:28 am

Dawn_Twilight wrote:In my opinion, religion may be neccasary for man to evolve, until man basically becomes somewhat of their own god. I mean look at it now today, we can clone animals, we have control over the genetics of plants and other animals, the power to destroy ourselves a thousand times over (YAY Too many Nuclear War Heads in like every major country

1.Infidel invasion of europe.

2.Medieval Ages.

3.Crusades.

i rest my case. still think man needs religion?
Dray The Fingerless
Dray The Fingerless
Senate Representative

+Light/-Dark : 265

Experience Points : 26960
Comments : FIRST!

Back to top Go down

Post by Dawn_Twilight Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:32 am

Dray The Fingerless wrote:
Dawn_Twilight wrote:In my opinion, religion may be neccasary for man to evolve, until man basically becomes somewhat of their own god. I mean look at it now today, we can clone animals, we have control over the genetics of plants and other animals, the power to destroy ourselves a thousand times over (YAY Too many Nuclear War Heads in like every major country

1.Infidel invasion of europe.

2.Medieval Ages.

3.Crusades.

i rest my case. still think man needs religion?

Meh, you read what I believe I posted later, it "may" be neccasary, for the more primitive civilizations before us to explain the world and stuff, and for a basic set of Morals.

but we really don't need religion anymore.
Dawn_Twilight
Dawn_Twilight

Back to top Go down

Post by Jacen Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:56 am

CHRISTIANITY!!!
WOOHOO, YEAHHHHH!!!
Jacen
Jacen

+Light/-Dark : 15

Experience Points : 7120

Back to top Go down

Post by Nihil Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:57 am

RIGHT WING BIBLE THUMPERS WHOO YAAA,

comon just look at where that got the world with George Bush Rolling Eyes
Nihil
Nihil

+Light/-Dark : -912

Experience Points : 12280
Comments : https://www.facebook.com/mattbcarr

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:11 am

meh, dawn thinks Christianity is bogus, i think Evolution is just as bogus. these debates have become some what tedious and irrelevant. we arent gonna convert eachother, so what's the point. i think we should be more focused on a minor coexistence and have more respect for others and what they believe to be true; not just treating others as inferior because they have difference.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dawn_Twilight Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:19 am

Drist wrote:meh, dawn thinks Christianity is bogus, i think Evolution is just as bogus. these debates have become some what tedious and irrelevant. we arent gonna convert eachother, so what's the point. i think we should be more focused on a minor coexistence and have more respect for others and what they believe to be true; not just treating others as inferior because they have difference.

not trying to convert eachother. o_O

Religion justb rings out the worst in some people wheni t comes to being different

I.e. Different Religions = Started some Wars..

How is Evolution bogus? theres actually evidence of it o.o
Dawn_Twilight
Dawn_Twilight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:24 am

you actually buy that garbage? that there was age old evidence found that proves the Evolutionary cycle (at least the more blunt "evidence)?

Back to top Go down

Post by Dawn_Twilight Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:31 am

Drist wrote:you actually buy that garbage? that there was age old evidence found that proves the Evolutionary cycle (at least the more blunt "evidence)?

*massages temple*

Fossils, Same Animals Different traits in different areas/ Land broken away from mainland = same animals, different traits...

Then Humans? we're the ultimate example of Evolution.

We just didn't exist.
Dawn_Twilight
Dawn_Twilight

Back to top Go down

Post by Ðaaaaa Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:47 am

Jews FTW! ;D someone had to say it What a Face Religion 682863
Ðaaaaa
Ðaaaaa

Experience Points : 6169

Back to top Go down

Post by Disturbed Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:51 am

evolution, as far as I know, may be true, but its definitely not a counter to religion. Did you know that there are 20 co-efficients, that, if off by even a decimal would send this whole universe into chaos. Or that the Genetic Code is so complex and even with our advanced science, we cannot fully understand it yet, but it somehow manages to make organisms? Or that humans have not been able to create a single atom, even though we apparently know what they are made of.......either there's a god who made all this, or its a coincidence. If its a coincidence, then...its the darn biggest coincidence ever. Let me point out that the probability of all these calculations coming out as coincidences is less than 1*10^-100000000000000000
Disturbed
Disturbed
Forum Enforcer

+Light/-Dark : -67

Experience Points : 10462

Back to top Go down

Post by Dray The Fingerless Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:52 am

Ilmarë wrote:evolution, as far as I know, may be true, but its definitely not a counter to religion. Did you know that there are 20 co-efficients, that, if off by even a decimal would send this whole universe into chaos. Or that the Genetic Code is so complex and even with our advanced science, we cannot fully understand it yet, but it somehow manages to make organisms? Or that humans have not been able to create a single atom, even though we apparently know what they are made of.......either there's a god who made all this, or its a coincidence. If its a coincidence, then...its the darn biggest coincidence ever. Let me point out that the probability of all these calculations coming out as coincidences is less than 1*10^-100000000000000000

first off, dont point out numbers that CANT be calculated. the variables in the universe are uncalculable. i find that number a quite wrong number. second, if u account the laws of physics, and certain theories of creation itself, you will see that the aproximated probabilities come up higher.the existence of mankind of course is STILL a very very very VERY fortunate event. and so wat if its a coincidence? is it that every event in the universe that has a slim possibility a act of god? is ppl being struck by lightning a act of god? cause its so rare and hard to happen? is the perfect thermal expansion of metal(the thing that allows BUILDINGS to exist) such a rare event that its an act of god? i think you put too many things in god's shoulders.
Dray The Fingerless
Dray The Fingerless
Senate Representative

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:03 pm

Not being biased here, but when I first heard of all this sudden evidence proving Evolution, I didn't buy it. 1. Fanatical Evolutionists could have created it 2. It was too media-involved. I often question things put so bluntly in the news. Give me proof.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dray The Fingerless Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:11 pm

Drist wrote:Not being biased here, but when I first heard of all this sudden evidence proving Evolution, I didn't buy it. 1. Fanatical Evolutionists could have created it 2. It was too media-involved. I often question things put so bluntly in the news. Give me proof.

so basically your saying that evolution is a conspiracy theory? thats what you sound like right now. a conspiracy theory. also, how old are you drist? evolution was never on the news. do you know how OLD the theory of evolution is? do u realize your existence wasnt even THOUGHT when this came out? this isnt a NEW trend. its a scientifical proven theory. with centuries of age. but i guess you dislike science too uh? cause, by ur words, i guess all they do is a scam too uh? think about that, next time u need medicines or surgery. the same ppl who gave you that are teh same ppl who propose you the evolution theory. thats pretty good credentials if u ask me.

i guess believing in some book written by some ppl eons ago, when slaves were considered a good thing, is more credible then this.

you want proof? easy, go study. science isnt the medieval ages. you are ALLOWED to go see it for yourself. you are allowed to reach the same conclusions, using the same data. and since you want proof, tell you what, mr religious. give me proof god exists. substantial proof. not a book, not a story. something that cant be just a twisted story to make it sound like a miracle. something concrete. and thus u see,
Dray The Fingerless
Dray The Fingerless
Senate Representative

Back to top Go down

Post by Nihil Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:30 pm

omg, someone who doesn't believe in evolution, *cracks fingers* this shouldn't take long.

vestigial structures, whales have bones in them that serve no purpose, however, they are remnants of "legs" that they evolved from.

how do you explain fossils and animal traits that are similar, apes and humans share 99% the same genes, how do you explain that?

evolution is no conflict with religion, it just explains how things happened.

you have to not believe in science to not believe in evolution

human gene coding deficiency is about one error per every 1000 transcribed. that is how evolution occurs, because the error may produce a trait favorable within the community.

most famously is the case of the english peppered moth
Religion Peppered-moths

see how they are different colors but the same species, there used to be more white ones

now there are more black ones because of industrialization. That is evolution by natural selection my friend.

what about genetic diseases, some are caused by certain transcription errors putting the wrong aminos in creating the wrong proteins,

its science stupid, XD
Nihil
Nihil

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:34 pm

Evolution and Christianity do conflict. The billions of years required for evolution does not parallel the c. 2000 years in the Bible.
I'll just express my final words on this because it's becoming tedious. A Christian can't be concrete minded. We believe that things that happen, happen for reasons beyond us. Throw me as much evidence as you want, I'll still not believe in the theory of Evolution. Christians require faith in something beyond us. The supposed "evidence" thrown in front of us are just induced as tests of our faith and belief.

Also, just because Evolution is old, does not mean it is the awesomesauce. Christianity is way older than the theory of Evolution. I just have one question I'd like you guys to answer. Explain to me the origin of the Bible. How it came about. How the things written inside it apply to everything you can think of in someway. You may not agree with this, but trust me, I've tried to sit back and see how it would not apply to all circumstances, specific or not; I came up with nothing. Who wrote the Bible? Who was so wise to create something so genius? And for the circumstances described in the Bible to still be common through the evolution of society up to this date.

Without the Bible, there would be no measure of "morality". Morals obviously exist. Without the Bible, there is no standard for morality. There would be no outline for society as it is today. To acknowledge that morals exist acknowledges the things written in the Bible.

Back to top Go down

Post by Daft Punk Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:23 pm

Religion was invented for two reasons
1. To give order to a lawless society
2. To give people hope that there is something after death

the latter is still in use
Daft Punk
Daft Punk

+Light/-Dark : 3

Experience Points : 5781

Back to top Go down

Post by Dray The Fingerless Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:59 pm

Drist wrote:Evolution and Christianity do conflict. The billions of years required for evolution does not parallel the c. 2000 years in the Bible.
I'll just express my final words on this because it's becoming tedious. A Christian can't be concrete minded. We believe that things that happen, happen for reasons beyond us. Throw me as much evidence as you want, I'll still not believe in the theory of Evolution. Christians require faith in something beyond us. The supposed "evidence" thrown in front of us are just induced as tests of our faith and belief.

Also, just because Evolution is old, does not mean it is the awesomesauce. Christianity is way older than the theory of Evolution. I just have one question I'd like you guys to answer. Explain to me the origin of the Bible. How it came about. How the things written inside it apply to everything you can think of in someway. You may not agree with this, but trust me, I've tried to sit back and see how it would not apply to all circumstances, specific or not; I came up with nothing. Who wrote the Bible? Who was so wise to create something so genius? And for the circumstances described in the Bible to still be common through the evolution of society up to this date.

Without the Bible, there would be no measure of "morality". Morals obviously exist. Without the Bible, there is no standard for morality. There would be no outline for society as it is today. To acknowledge that morals exist acknowledges the things written in the Bible.

funny that you ask. you ever heard of a meme Drist? you know, Shoop da Whoop, Pedobear, Weegee, Long cat, etc etc. im gonna ask you the same. who created them? who was smart enough(or stupid enough) to create sth that is so famous thru out the internet? and why dont they die? how did they spread? if you answer these, you will answer your own question. because my friend, the Bible is nothing more then the oldest meme in history. THE meme. daft said teh reasons to why religion lived for so long. it is the back up answer when we dont have one. oh and, morals without the bible? lol, you must think the world revolves around you and those who believe in ur religion. hindu, islam, budhism, tribal religions. they all based morals in their societies. for millennia even. some even OLDER then ur precious bible. dont go thinking the bible is the reason for why we have morals. its not. Humans, as a social being, are bound to develop morals. if you need to live in society, you need to develop trust and mutual respect and law.

To acknowledge that morals exist is to acknowledge the things written on the Bible? YOUR BIBLE TELLS ME I CAN HAVE SLAVES, SELL MY DAUGHTER, KILL PEOPLE. im sick of people ignoring the old testament. if this book is written by God, how come so many things written in it have long been discarded as non valid? By Christians too btw. because our morals evolved, demonstrating that this book is not defining morals in society.

And to that, im gonna tell you the main reason, why Evolution is ruling and decimating Christianity.(more than half christians dont believe or dont practice their religion.). The reason this happens, is because Christianity lays in dogmas, and stiff, neverchanging sayings, while Evolution, along the years it has existed, has been shaped and improved to agree with our recent discoveries. Thats science. discover, improve, research, discover, improve, research....
Dray The Fingerless
Dray The Fingerless
Senate Representative

Back to top Go down

Post by Dray The Fingerless Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:05 pm

one last thing.

"The supposed "evidence" thrown in front of us are just induced as tests of our faith and belief."

thats the Medieval Ages. ignoring knowledge. causing humanity into going into the worst state of existence it has ever had.
Dray The Fingerless
Dray The Fingerless
Senate Representative

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:11 pm

Drist wrote:Evolution and Christianity do conflict. The billions of years required for evolution does not parallel the c. 2000 years in the Bible.

funny that you ask. you ever heard of a meme Drist? you know, Shoop da Whoop, Pedobear, Weegee, Long cat, etc etc. im gonna ask you the same. who created them? who was smart enough(or stupid enough) to create sth that is so famous thru out the internet? and why dont they die? how did they spread? if you answer these, you will answer your own question. because my friend, the Bible is nothing more then the oldest meme in history. THE meme. daft said teh reasons to why religion lived for so long. it is the back up answer when we dont have one. oh and, morals without the bible? lol, you must think the world revolves around you and those who believe in ur religion. hindu, islam, budhism, tribal religions. they all based morals in their societies. for millennia even. some even OLDER then ur precious bible. dont go thinking the bible is the reason for why we have morals. its not. Humans, as a social being, are bound to develop morals. if you need to live in society, you need to develop trust and mutual respect and law.

To acknowledge that morals exist is to acknowledge the things written on the Bible? YOUR BIBLE TELLS ME I CAN HAVE SLAVES, SELL MY DAUGHTER, KILL PEOPLE. im sick of people ignoring the old testament. if this book is written by God, how come so many things written it have long been discarded as non valid? By Christians too btw. because our morals evolved, demonstrating that this book is not defining morals in society.

And to that, im gonna tell you the main reason, why Evolution is ruling and decimating Christianity.(more than half christians dont believe or dont practice their religion.). The reason this happens, is because Christianity lays in dogmas, and still sayings, while Evolution, along the years it has existed, has been shaped and improved to agree with our recent discoveries. Thats science. discover, improve, research, discover, improve, research....

The Bible mentions that when you are in the position of slavery, to respect your master at all costs, unless it means defying the Word of God ("Slaves, obey your human masters with fear and trembling, in the sincerity of your heart, as to Christ." (Ephesians 6:5). It does not say that you can legally have slaves. Back up this claim. I'll provide an example for the murder claim. "But if ... evidences of virginity are not found for the young woman, then they shall bring out the young woman to the door of her father's house, and the men of her city shall stone her to death with stones..." (Deuteronomy 22:20, 21). This is saying here that this is what the should be done to one who disobeys the word of God. But then the Bible goes back to say "Do not murder". This is saying that man is not to put a man to justice for such things, because that is the job of God. (May sound different than it really is). This is why there is theology, because the Bible isn't all literal truth. There is much alegorical truth behind it all, and some blatent truth.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dray The Fingerless Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:33 pm

i love how you try to evade what your book says. at least the book i read is staright forward and needs no deviation from its original meaning. you can say all you want drist, but you know when that book was written, ppl WERE brought out and stoned to death. it was the morals of that time. THAT time. it was OK to ahve slaves. it was OK to kill people for planting two crops side by side. for working on the sabbath. not to mention the AMAZING AND STAGGERING exploit and demeanor of women. you say the bible says not to murder. yes. in the new testament. care to tell me why the book contradicts itself? again, if you come to tell me not evth in the bible is to be taken by word, it only prooves my point that what is written in ur book, many parts of it at least, have gone out of date and against our morals. you can keep trying to be a hard headed, all believer of the bible, or you can pick up that book, rip off the old testament, and find the underlying kind of morals the new testament has. you say to learn to read your book? learn that it is a story. A STORY above eevth else. and as every story, it has a moral. but unlike most outdated stories that die becuz they cant be applied to the current morals, powerful stupid ppl let the stupid ideas remain, they let the slavery ideas, the right to kill, the battles, the blind following. and instead of letting it be a guide, opposite to be a instructions manual, they slapped ppl with wrongs and rights that, with the evolving of society, would eventually just fall.

i love jesus. i hate jesus followers. he was a upright man. he prolly wasnt perfect, but at least he had teh right mind in the right place. he doesnt deserve what has been done of him. kill, maim, torture, corrupt in his name. and this happens to this very day. maybe not the kill maim and torture, but definitly the corrupt. you wanna make jesus a favor? leave him alone and be happy and make others happy.
Dray The Fingerless
Dray The Fingerless
Senate Representative

Back to top Go down

Post by Ðaaaaa Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:39 pm

Dray The Fingerless wrote:i love how you try to evade what your book says. at least the book i read is staright forward and needs no deviation from its original meaning. you can say all you want drist, but you know when that book was written, ppl WERE brought out and stoned to death. it was the morals of that time. THAT time. it was OK to ahve slaves. it was OK to kill people for planting two crops side by side. for working on the sabbath. not to mention the AMAZING AND STAGGERING exploit and demeanor of women. you say the bible says not to murder. yes. in the new testament. care to tell me why the book contradicts itself? again, if you come to tell me not evth in the bible is to be taken by word, it only prooves my point that what is written in ur book, many parts of it at least, have gone out of date and against our morals. you can keep trying to be a hard headed, all believer of the bible, or you can pick up that book, rip off the old testament, and find the underlying kind of morals the new testament has. you say to learn to read your book? learn that it is a story. A STORY above eevth else. and as every story, it has a moral. but unlike most outdated stories that die becuz they cant be applied to the current morals, powerful stupid ppl let the stupid ideas remain, they let the slavery ideas, the right to kill, the battles, the blind following. and instead of letting it be a guide, opposite to be a instructions manual, they slapped ppl with wrongs and rights that, with the evolving of society, would eventually just fall.

i love jesus. i hate jesus followers. he was a upright man. he prolly wasnt perfect, but at least he had teh right mind in the right place. he doesnt deserve what has been done of him. kill, maim, torture, corrupt in his name. and this happens to this very day. maybe not the kill maim and torture, but definitly the corrupt. you wanna make jesus a favor? leave him alone and be happy and make others happy.

+rep and AMEN!! cheers Religion 102690
Ðaaaaa
Ðaaaaa

Experience Points : 6169

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:49 pm

i love jesus. i hate jesus followers.

Sorry you hate me. D:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sqrl Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:00 am

tbh i really dont think that this topic is a good one in my opinion.
due to that its really on what YOUR belief is. Now im pretty sure there is some sayin that one is better than the other but i think that it doesnt matter what religion you follow or is the best.
Sqrl
Sqrl

+Light/-Dark : -674

Experience Points : 13369
Comments : Soul Stealer, Breath Taker, Ecstasy Extraordinaire.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nihil Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:09 am

Nihil wrote:omg, someone who doesn't believe in evolution, *cracks fingers* this shouldn't take long.

vestigial structures, whales have bones in them that serve no purpose, however, they are remnants of "legs" that they evolved from.

how do you explain fossils and animal traits that are similar, apes and humans share 99% the same genes, how do you explain that?

evolution is no conflict with religion, it just explains how things happened.

you have to not believe in science to not believe in evolution

human gene coding deficiency is about one error per every 1000 transcribed. that is how evolution occurs, because the error may produce a trait favorable within the community.

most famously is the case of the english peppered moth
Religion Peppered-moths

see how they are different colors but the same species, there used to be more white ones

now there are more black ones because of industrialization. That is evolution by natural selection my friend.

what about genetic diseases, some are caused by certain transcription errors putting the wrong aminos in creating the wrong proteins,

its science stupid, XD

uhh...

this is undeniable proof of evolution???

right there,

my quote

read it...
Nihil
Nihil

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content