Jedi vs Sith
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where is the line drawn for making fun of religion?

+8
Dray The Fingerless
Deadly Assassin
Disturbed
Aragorn
Ptolemy
Aardvark
Aureus
Nihil
12 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Where is the line drawn for making fun of religion? Empty Where is the line drawn for making fun of religion?

Post by Nihil Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:10 am

I just want to see everyone's opinions after the skirmish in the society fail thread, w/e it was called XD
Nihil
Nihil

+Light/-Dark : -912

Experience Points : 12290
Comments : https://www.facebook.com/mattbcarr

Back to top Go down

Where is the line drawn for making fun of religion? Empty Re: Where is the line drawn for making fun of religion?

Post by Aureus Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:13 am

I think it should gtfo of ppls lives entirely but mmkay
Aureus
Aureus
Dark Council

+Light/-Dark : 34

Experience Points : 16949
Comments : Henry David Thoreau
Our truest life is when we are in our dreams awake.

Back to top Go down

Where is the line drawn for making fun of religion? Empty Re: Where is the line drawn for making fun of religion?

Post by Aardvark Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:13 am

You'll find most people fall under one of these three:
1. Any religion joke is too far.
2. A joke that gives a negative connotation(such as saying Buddha was a prostitute or Jesus a pedophile).
3. No joke is too far because people shouldn't take comedy seriously.

Most will fall into one of these three. I fall into the second one because I just don't like malicious jokes.
Aardvark
Aardvark
Prime Minister

+Light/-Dark : -194

Experience Points : 27038
Comments : Likes: Games, Books, Anime, Star Wars.
Dislikes: Punks, Douches, Ignorant People.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nihil Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:22 am

Its not libel or slander is it, rather, it makes fun of an idea.

Where is the line drawn for making fun of religion? ZombieJesus

that is niether libel or slander, rather, it is protected because it is a truth about Christianity.

I mean, certainly, racist jokes are made all the time, jokes are almost always made in bad taste these days, but it is not defaming anyone, everyone knows the idea that buddha was a prostitute is unfounded and not true, and before anyone says that not everyone knows, they should take a long look at the documentary "Out Foxed" and every other joke that may have implied some knowledge that the reciever did not know.
Nihil
Nihil

Back to top Go down

Post by Aardvark Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:28 am

Actually that would fit my too far version because it uses incorrect wording to paint a negative picture.

I could just as easily say this about Evolution:
"The belief that you're debris from a giant explosion and that bacteria are just really really slow Transformers."
Aardvark
Aardvark
Prime Minister

Back to top Go down

Post by Nihil Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:35 am

well ya, sorta, thats what it is, we are all made of teh same stuff as stars. its not incorrect wording, I may be agnostic/spiritual, but I was raised christian with a deeply christian mother.
Nihil
Nihil

Back to top Go down

Post by Aureus Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:35 am

Aardvark wrote:I could just as easily say this about Evolution:
"The belief that you're debris from a giant explosion and that bacteria are just really really slow Transformers."
That's not evolution
Aureus
Aureus
Dark Council

Back to top Go down

Post by Nihil Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:36 am

I think he was talking about origin in that sense, not evolution.
Nihil
Nihil

Back to top Go down

Post by Aardvark Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:41 am

Whatever, you understand my point just fine. The point is, it's manipulative wording to make it look bad. There's no point to it other then trying to make the belief look bad, which is where I believe the line should be drawn.
Aardvark
Aardvark
Prime Minister

Back to top Go down

Post by Ptolemy Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:42 am

Aardvark wrote:You'll find most people fall under one of these three:
1. Any religion joke is too far.
2. A joke that gives a negative connotation(such as saying Buddha was a prostitute or Jesus a pedophile).
3. No joke is too far because people shouldn't take comedy seriously.

Most will fall into one of these three. I fall into the second one because I just don't like malicious jokes.

I would fall into that second group as well. Now i will not threaten to cut off your head for a joke about Jesus no matter how tasteless it is. It is not my place to punish you for such transgressions.

@ Nihil, That crap is why i do not venture into the pit. I choose not to be offended by you.

God Bless ya... Weather you want it or not.
Ptolemy
Ptolemy
Chancellor - Masters Council

+Light/-Dark : 95

Experience Points : 15884
Comments : Where is the line drawn for making fun of religion? Bear_wrestling

Back to top Go down

Post by Nihil Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:44 am

Ptolemy, you should enjoy it, its freedom of speech, and, after all, it basically sums it up from what i've read, King James edition.
Nihil
Nihil

Back to top Go down

Post by Aragorn Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:46 am

Bull
Aragorn
Aragorn
Grand Master of the Jedi Order

+Light/-Dark : -79

Experience Points : 12077
Comments : Invincibility lies in the defence; the possibility of victory in the attack. ~ Sun Tzu

Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat. ~ Sun Tzu

Back to top Go down

Post by Disturbed Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:48 am

I fall under 2 as well. Go ahead make a pun or some kind of joke...as long as it is just that..a joke. When u start criticizing the beliefs and extremely indecently depicting major religious figures that is way out of line. What sess did was equivalent of saying that Jesus (god forbid) was something very wrong which I will not post here since it would be against my religion to post anything bad about Jesus as well as Moses and Muhammad (pbuh) since it believes in respect.

Drawing a picture is bad enough, but putting him up as a symbol of child molesters is inexcusable. For anyone, even buddha, even any Hindu God, even Jesus, any religious figure, simply put

Your poster there, that is worded stupidly and is wrong too. You can say the same thing, but respectfully, without treating their religion and beliefs like cow shit.
Disturbed
Disturbed
Forum Enforcer

+Light/-Dark : -67

Experience Points : 10472

Back to top Go down

Post by Aureus Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:50 am

Disturbed wrote:I fall under 2 as well. Go ahead make a pun or some kind of joke...as long as it is just that..a joke. When u start criticizing the beliefs and extremely indecently depicting major religious figures that is way out of line. What sess did was equivalent of saying that Jesus (god forbid) was something very wrong which I will not post here since it would be against my religion to post anything bad about Jesus as well as Moses and Muhammad (pbuh) since it believes in respect.

Drawing a picture is bad enough, but putting him up as a symbol of child molesters is inexcusable. For anyone, even buddha, even any Hindu God, even Jesus, any religious figure, simply put

Your poster there, that is worded stupidly and is wrong too. You can say the same thing, but respectfully, without treating their religion and beliefs like cow shit.
I know this kinda OT but y do u add the (pbuh) to muhammad?

And I also fall under #2. I know I may not seem like it but I'm not one to insult massive amounts of ppl or their ways of life
Aureus
Aureus
Dark Council

Back to top Go down

Post by Nihil Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:51 am

also, I meant to add, double post ftw XD, that I would try not to offend someone on purpose, that is malice, doing so as a political position, such as what I thought Sess was doing, that its is ridiculous that they have to ban mohammed from screen because of fringe movements, while the other religions are allowed to be shown, in grotesque ways. All are equal before the law, so are religions then. South Park goes far, but it doesn't kill anyone and it doesn't excuse Mohammed from being above all other major religions, and besides, this is what it seems to come down to

[img]http://newhumanist.org.uk/images/Muslim.png[/BLAHBALHJBLAHBLAH THIS IS WHY WE CANT HAVE NICE THINGS OR REASONED DEBATE SESS!]

I'm not accusing all muslims, just the fringe, of being like this.

then prove that poster, NOT THIS ONE, wrong, I'm open to debate and reason as I always have been, I thrive on information.

Last edited by Nihil on Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:54 am; edited 2 times in total
Nihil
Nihil

Back to top Go down

Post by Deadly Assassin Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:52 am

EPIC WIN im gonna borrow that image nihil
Deadly Assassin
Deadly Assassin

+Light/-Dark : -25

Experience Points : 7430

Back to top Go down

Post by Nihil Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:53 am

Uh ya...

Don't.

You are obviously borrowing at the ire of Dist.

basically to get back at him.
Nihil
Nihil

Back to top Go down

Post by Aureus Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:54 am

Sesshomaru wrote:EPIC WIN im gonna borrow that image nihil

Nihil wrote:Uh ya...

Don't.

You are obviously borrowing at the ire of Dist.

basically to get back at him.
Yeah, for w/e reason sess starts being a hater let it be said that it isnt nihil's doing
Aureus
Aureus
Dark Council

Back to top Go down

Post by Deadly Assassin Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:55 am

its not even for this forum so you guys fail
Deadly Assassin
Deadly Assassin

Back to top Go down

Post by Aardvark Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:57 am

Sess, you may be DL, but you still can have that position taken from you if you get too many infractions too close together.
Aardvark
Aardvark
Prime Minister

Back to top Go down

Post by Disturbed Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:57 am

if you mean you want to depict him, then you are calling all of us like that. We make loads of religious jokes, without indecently depicting the prophet or anyone. We even joke abt the beliefs sometimes, some of which can be kinda funny (my mom gets pissed tho) but there are limits. For everything. For the ppl who make fun of christianity and every religion, they are just propaganda trying to get others for leave religion and embrace secularism, fuck them. I don't need a TV to tell me what can and can't be done because I have my own limits that I set, not some guy who we've never seen.

Btw, CoG, pbuh is peace be upon him.

And sure w/e sess, over the internet everyone becomes a cool guy who is so great because he can piss ppl off, did that in real life you'd get your ass whooped real bad.
Disturbed
Disturbed
Forum Enforcer

+Light/-Dark : -67

Experience Points : 10472

Back to top Go down

Post by Deadly Assassin Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:02 am

Disturbed wrote: I have my own limits
Shocked

so basically were back to jokes are ok but showing his face isnt Suspect
Deadly Assassin
Deadly Assassin

Back to top Go down

Post by Aureus Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:06 am

Disturbed wrote:Btw, CoG, pbuh is peace be upon him.

And sure w/e sess, over the internet everyone becomes a cool guy who is so great because he can piss ppl off, did that in real life you'd get your ass whooped real bad.
Laughing Anyhow, is pbuh a muslim only thing or should everyone do it? (J/w to see if i can get brownie points in school)

If this is too OT, plz lemme know and I'll stop right away

EDIT: I'm off for teh nightiez bb =D
Aureus
Aureus
Dark Council

Back to top Go down

Post by Nihil Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:24 am

What I mean Dist, is that people have different opinions and all religions should be on equal playing fields. And if someone depicts them in a poor way, you know, maybe take a step back and laugh a bit, but if you find it too offensive, ignore it, turn off the tv from comedy central, because, though it may be offending, its comedy, and is not meant to be taken so seriously, any serious joke about religion is not a joke, its a malicious attack on a belief system. Truths are ok, even if presented in a funny way, but when you take away the truths and obviously try to convince people that Mohammed, Jesus, or Buddha, for Tibetan monks, who believe Buddha was a god, were actually like that, that is when its wrong and not a joke. I think that maybe we need to lighten up a bit in respect to religion and jokes, laughing a bit at a depiction can be funny, but if you don't like Mohammed being depicted, maybe speak to Sess privately about it or just tell him to take it down, after all, that would have been more effective, and if he didn't take it down, you would know why, why not, and/or what to think of him.
Nihil
Nihil

Back to top Go down

Post by Deadly Assassin Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:28 am

nothing dist says could make me change what i tihink

and i agree we need to lighten the rules we have on religion
Deadly Assassin
Deadly Assassin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next