Jedi vs Sith
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The FCC's Threat to Internet Freedom

+9
Nihil
soran
Thing
dude24oak
Sinusoidal
Champion
Aardvark
Dray The Fingerless
Ptolemy
13 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

The FCC's Threat to Internet Freedom  - Page 2 Empty Re: The FCC's Threat to Internet Freedom

Post by Ptolemy Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:47 am

Nihil wrote:

The only censorship really possible would be by the internet providers themselves as explained

So are you saying that the Chinese ISP filters themselves not on the orders of the government? OH THAT'S RIGHT! The government IS the ISP... not to far fetched after this move by the FCC...
Ptolemy
Ptolemy
Chancellor - Masters Council

+Light/-Dark : 95

Experience Points : 15862
Comments : The FCC's Threat to Internet Freedom  - Page 2 Bear_wrestling

Back to top Go down

The FCC's Threat to Internet Freedom  - Page 2 Empty Re: The FCC's Threat to Internet Freedom

Post by Aardvark Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:29 am

Nihil, giving the FCC control isn't going to stop them from doing that, you should no by now that no political machine keeps it's promises, they will keep part, but only the part that best benefits them. In this case they will regulate the company, but not to stop it, just to divide it into divisions. The FCC has never complied with government regulations, it's never listened to the people, it's never kept any promises. I saw this coming a long time ago, a lot of us did, that's why you have so many tech geeks that employed by only small companies or not employed for their skills at all. It's not possible to fully regulate the internet, there will always be workarounds to anything companies put up. But it is VERY hard to work around government regulations because they don't have to worry about companies and competition, they can just block all content they don't want.
Aardvark
Aardvark
Prime Minister

+Light/-Dark : -194

Experience Points : 27016
Comments : Likes: Games, Books, Anime, Star Wars.
Dislikes: Punks, Douches, Ignorant People.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nihil Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:00 am

Dray The Fingerless wrote:I see a big lot of IFs in this. In fact, since you are on a premise guessing situation based on knowledge you have now, if you are predicting events that might happen based on common and speculative knowledge, why dont you predict that the FCC will utterly fuck this up, seeing how they have in the past, negatively messed with TV (and radio if i remember it right) on many occasions. You see Google talk to Verizon, :O omg we must get control of the internetz before it becomes a monopoly.

Nihil wrote:
Since it is a marketplace, all the other companies will have a monopoly by undercutting the innovation processes of new websites, like youtube, by corporate money grants and such. You are promoting a system where we might have to pay extra to even access this site, or any other site, which slows the speed of information transfer, decreases the free information process of the internet and creates a monopoly on one of the LARGEST CONSUMER SPENDING AVENUES! O.o

This is more farfetched than that radio channel with the conspiracy theories.

EDIT: Actualy, is not THAT farfetched, but it is a bit farfetched.

If you think the internet is screwed up as it is, then you wouldn't support the FCC's net neutrality effort. That is what it is, formalizing the rules already in place. Net Neutrality has a certain "code" since it upheld and then struck down by courts. Dray, as a market competitor my major inclination is to amass as much capital as possible. How do I do this? I give special access to popular websites quicker than unpopular websites, restricting the freedom of information, and thus, with that in mind, I can make companies pay to keep their "preferential access". It will create a quasi-monopoly. Trust me on this, I know my micro/macro. It may not happen within a day, or a year, but that is the natural inclination of the market place, especially since it serves the same purposes as a road and a highway would.

All the FCC's proposal would do is to keep the internet the same, as it is right now, it says, all websites are created equally, just as it is now.

BUt all this hysteria has arisen on a sine factibus basis. Everyone says regulation with the connotation that they actually are going to actively get in the internet and mess with stuff. No, they are saying service providers can't discriminate, that is not filtering, aard, ptolemy, that is not filtering or censoring, now amirite or amirite?

furthermore, the FCC is an executive branch. It is, then, the police force regulating the internet, this could be interpreted two ways, falling under the congressional clause permitting the "regulation of trade" or it could fall under the enforcement of laws. It works both ways, no clear cut answer in that matter. I understand the internet is supposed to be "Free"

but think about the fact that al-qaeda organizes on the internet... how stupid do you have to be to allow that shit up on the world wide web?

mmm... oh yes i forgot, the federal government actually started ENFORCING civil rights with the civil rights bill 1957 and 1960, do you want to complain to me that they've done a shitty job enforcing that? the government is soooo inefficient, they landed a man on the moon... I'm not saying that it is ideal, but it get the tough stuff done.

btw, already passed

http://www.examiner.com/marketing-in-denver/fcc-net-neutrality-ruling-will-have-dramatic-affect-on-marketing-landscape

Nihil
Nihil

+Light/-Dark : -912

Experience Points : 12268
Comments : https://www.facebook.com/mattbcarr

Back to top Go down

Post by Aardvark Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:22 am

The bill itself isn't bad, but it sets a precedent, now the FCC has domain over the internet and they can regulate whatever they like without reporting to anyone. So if you have anti-government feelings, well you're a terrorist spreading dissension and we can't have that now can we?
Aardvark
Aardvark
Prime Minister

+Light/-Dark : -194

Experience Points : 27016
Comments : Likes: Games, Books, Anime, Star Wars.
Dislikes: Punks, Douches, Ignorant People.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nihil Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:12 am

Aardvark wrote:The bill itself isn't bad, but it sets a precedent, now the FCC has domain over the internet and they can regulate whatever they like without reporting to anyone. So if you have anti-government feelings, well you're a terrorist spreading dissension and we can't have that now can we?

Click the video, it will take you to the exact point, don't worry. You'll have your point basically refuted. If you are lazy, skip to 4:00, otherwise, play the clip and it will take you to the desired point I think you should start at.