Jedi vs Sith
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Arkham Asylum

+3
Dray The Fingerless
SouLCasT
Aardvark
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Arkham Asylum Empty Arkham Asylum

Post by Aardvark Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:31 am

Yeah I know it's an old game by now but I ran across a cheap copy of it and picked it up for my computer only to discover I had a rather odd problem being that I play normally for about 20-30 seconds when I boot it up then it lags gradually until it becomes impossible to play. Now I know I'm up to spec on it, beyond it actually, but since I'll get the question I'll list the recommended specs and my own:

Recommended OS: XP or Vista. My OS: 64-bit XP. CHECK
Recommended Processor: Core 2 Duo E6600 or Athlon 64 X2 4600. My Processor: Athlon II X4 635. MORE THAN CHECK
Recommended Memory: 2GB for XP 3GB for Vista. My Memory: 4GB for XP. MORE THAN CHECK
Recommended GFX Card: nVidia 9800GTX(512 MB RAM 3.0 pixel and shader). My GFX Card: nVidia GT220(1.5 GB RAM 3.0 pixel and shader) MORE THAN CHECK.

So like I said I should not only be able to run this smoothly, but at maxed out specs as well and when I lag it happens regardless of High, Mid, or Low spec. So I can't figure out the problem, the only thing I can figure is that the AMD processor and nVidia card don't like working together. Any help would be appreciated.

To stop the standard questions. Yes I have looked it up myself with no answer. Yes I have updated both my drivers and DirectX to the max XP will take. Yes I have reinstalled. Yes I have restarted and run nothing but the game and with Turbo Boost active.
Aardvark
Aardvark
Prime Minister

+Light/-Dark : -194

Experience Points : 27014
Comments : Likes: Games, Books, Anime, Star Wars.
Dislikes: Punks, Douches, Ignorant People.

Back to top Go down

Arkham Asylum Empty Re: Arkham Asylum

Post by SouLCasT Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:46 am

Weird enough that I also bought Arkam a week back, finished it with no problem.
And I have pretty much the same specs like you, only a better processor and that my graphic card is ATI (proc is AMD).

Oh and I have win 7. 32 bit.

Maybe it doesn't like your 64 bit..It can't really be the processor and the graph card, because your other games run fine(I asume).
That used to happen to my laptop whenever I'd play games with my cooling pad. Maybe you don't have enough ventilation for your graphic card?
SouLCasT
SouLCasT

+Light/-Dark : 7

Experience Points : 6871

Back to top Go down

Post by Dray The Fingerless Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:02 am

He runs other games fine.

64 bit XP....havent heard good things abotu that. really if you wanted a 64 bit, you shold of gone with Win 7. also, you have 4 gigs aard. 64 bit is useless with that ram. seriously, it gives alot of glitches with older stuff, so you should only invest on it if youre gonna use it.

anyway, let me check this. brb

EDIT: the lag happens when you start at the menu, or just when you enter ingame?
Dray The Fingerless
Dray The Fingerless
Senate Representative

+Light/-Dark : 265

Experience Points : 26946
Comments : FIRST!

Back to top Go down

Post by soran Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:46 pm

i get massive lag in-game when i play shogun 2 T_T
soran
soran

+Light/-Dark : 19

Experience Points : 12050

Back to top Go down

Post by Atlas Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:55 pm

aardvark wrote:Recommended Processor: Core 2 Duo E6600 or Athlon 64 X2 4600. My Processor: Athlon II X4 635. MORE THAN CHECK
You can say that again...

soran wrote:i get massive lag in-game when i play shogun 2 T_T

ANOTHER TOTAL WAR FAAAAAAAAAN HURRAY!!! Come multiplayer i'll own ur ass... (Jking im not that good)

BTW, small question out of topic ( Arkham Asylum 682863 Arkham Asylum 730971 ) What's an aardvark. I know its SOMETHING just cant remember what... Damn, blame Greek education or sth... Arkham Asylum 790112

Last edited by Atlas on Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Atlas
Atlas

+Light/-Dark : -2

Experience Points : 5571
Comments : This ain't funny -.-

Back to top Go down

Post by Dray The Fingerless Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:57 pm

anteater.
Dray The Fingerless
Dray The Fingerless
Senate Representative

Back to top Go down

Post by Atlas Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:15 pm

Raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaight......... (= Dray by 99%)
Atlas
Atlas

Back to top Go down

Post by Ptolemy Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:21 pm

Arkham Asylum Aardva10

That would be that wonderful communist education talking there right?
Ptolemy
Ptolemy
Chancellor - Masters Council

+Light/-Dark : 95

Experience Points : 15860
Comments : Arkham Asylum Bear_wrestling

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeronax Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:35 pm

This game isn't optimized.. that's why it laggs ,and you are not the only one to experience the lagg on a powerful PC ,Aard.

Very Happy i know the feeling.
Zeronax
Zeronax

+Light/-Dark : 1

Experience Points : 4806
Comments : O_O

Back to top Go down

Post by Aardvark Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:50 pm

Dray The Fingerless wrote:He runs other games fine.

64 bit XP....havent heard good things abotu that. really if you wanted a 64 bit, you shold of gone with Win 7. also, you have 4 gigs aard. 64 bit is useless with that ram. seriously, it gives alot of glitches with older stuff, so you should only invest on it if youre gonna use it.

anyway, let me check this. brb

EDIT: the lag happens when you start at the menu, or just when you enter ingame?

64-bit XP = $40
Vista = $100
Win 7 = $160 for what I needed.

So I got the cheap version and yeah it's never quite functioned the way I like. Also this did happen with TFU 2 also but I was under recommended specs on that and I heard there was a slow-mo glitch in it that's what I had experienced.

It happens when I enter the game, though I suppose if I stayed on the menu long enough it would probably start lagging too because once the game lags the menus slow to a crawl as well.
Aardvark
Aardvark
Prime Minister

Back to top Go down

Post by Dray The Fingerless Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:18 pm

this sounds like incompatibility issues, interfering with performance.

however this is a too broad of a problem so il lgive you some things

1. Having DirectX 10 does not mean you have DirectX 9. check on that.

2. I have read problems regarding this game and Physx from Nvidia. shut it off if you can, and remember that other games might override this so always update your Physx and shut it off after any installations.
In fact, ive read problems regarding Physx overall. the software is too heavy and too attached to things. it kills many framerates.

3. your 64 bit XP might be running a bit problematic. Windows 7 64 bit already corrects many mistakes that 32 bi programs may encounter, but XP is older than that, so when you run the game, run it in compatibility mode with 32 bit, not 64.

4. that graphics card has been reported as a problematic one. check about it more thoroughly.

Dray The Fingerless
Dray The Fingerless
Senate Representative

Back to top Go down

Post by Aardvark Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:38 pm

I have 9.0c installed I couldn't get 10 or 10.1 to install. I've shut off physx before with no difference. And the card is a situation I'll just have to deal with, I'll upgrade my PC next year and rebuild it from the ground up when they release the Octacore, since I'll be doing that I'm not going to pour anything more into this since I'm estimating even with a custom build getting an Octacore, AMD motherboard compatible with it, a high end AMD GFX card(ensures less compatibility issues with the hardware), Win 7 Ultimate, TB HDD, Blu-Ray capable player/burner(if possible), 16-20 GB RAM, & 1000 watt power supply will run me over up to and possibly over $2000 so I'm saving now and have been since I learned Octacore was in the works for next year.

I'll try running in compatibility for 32 bit though.
Aardvark
Aardvark
Prime Minister

Back to top Go down

Post by Dray The Fingerless Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:13 pm

i can give you soem advice already.

16 gigs of ram is completely and utterly, unnecessary. nowadays aard, not even the greatest of games use more than 2 gigs. and if a game uses 2 gigs, its a LOT. 8 gigabytes is really good for now, but if you wanna invest, put in 12 gigabytes. be warned thou, you will NEVER in the next couple years, use 12, and you really dont need those 16. its RAM you will NEVER use, and in the distant future, you can alway just buy more RAM if the need arises. i mean, its the easiest thing to upgrade in a computer, so dont worry about wasting so much in ram. 10 is perfect if you ask me, and i have never in my laptops entire lifetime, ever got to use more than 6.8, and that was running a lot of shit at the same time. furthermore, your OS will always hamper how much you can use, so really, its pointless.

now, your windows....dont buy ultimate. if you want a good windows, buy professional. Ultimate is a complete waste of money and always has been. the things it adds are completely useless to you, and its not even better in performance. the best windows is always Professional. i recommend getting 7 even if a new one comes out. Windows always takes about a year to get their OS running smoothly. I was admired actually how 7 was really clean and came out without much troubles. just some compatibility issues. best OS so far if you ask me.

dont buy AMD motherboards, they suck. ive heard more than any others, AMD motherboards frying. ASUS makes better motherboards if you ask me. the octacore is going to be REALLY incompatible with older stuff. right now i have games that lag because they cant use the multithreading capabilities of i7s. so if you invest on that, buy an Intel, and as for the GFX, who knows what will be best by next year. Right now ATIs are top dog, but it can shift just as easily. its best you just see whats available when you go buy it.

also, if you buy smart, all this can go under 2000 bucks. the only problem is octacore prices really.

also, Arkham Asylum is poorly optimized for PC. i recommend checking Steam forums for help, they usually have a lot of support.
Dray The Fingerless
Dray The Fingerless
Senate Representative

Back to top Go down

Post by Aardvark Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:34 am

Thing is AMD is currently the only manufacturer of Octacore capable motherboards and I don't know if that'll change by the time I grab one. Intel's tech is also lagging behind AMD at the moment as they still don't have even Hexcores at the moment and those have been out in AMD for months now. RAM I'll price on the spot, it's easy to buy and change your mind, I didn't even decide on the RAM for this thing until right before they installed the OS. I'll probably take your advice on the Win 7 bit. And I fucking hate shopping for GFX cards, waaaaaaaay too many questions to consider.
Aardvark
Aardvark
Prime Minister

Back to top Go down

Post by Aardvark Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:43 am

No go on the compatibility fix. Checked the CPU and GFX card heat while I was at it and both remained below 50 C.
Aardvark
Aardvark
Prime Minister

Back to top Go down

Post by Dray The Fingerless Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:24 am

Well if you wanna go into technobabble, it seems your Cpu is mishandling resources when you start the game, entering a looping that causes your game to slow to an halt. That or your video card is just too weak.

Also Intel has had hexacores out for some months now Aard. Only for desktops thou.

In a year, octacore motherboards will be more common as the technology spreads.
Dray The Fingerless
Dray The Fingerless
Senate Representative

Back to top Go down

Post by Atlas Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:19 am

Ptolemy wrote:Arkham Asylum Aardva10

That would be that wonderful communist education talking there right?

LALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALAL Arkham Asylum 822220 Arkham Asylum 305689 Arkham Asylum 371190 lol! Arkham Asylum 730971 Arkham Asylum 132667 Arkham Asylum 682863 Arkham Asylum 544598 Arkham Asylum 790112
Atlas
Atlas

Back to top Go down

Post by Atlas Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:22 am

DIS... IS... DAOUBLE PAOUST Arkham Asylum 790112

Aardvark wrote:16-20 GB RAM

OMFG!!!! I HAVE 512Mbytes of RAM!!! Arkham Asylum 341185
Atlas
Atlas

Back to top Go down

Post by SouLCasT Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:59 pm

Dray, I dont know how you managed to use almost 7 gig of RAM. Really, I've opened 3 games at the same time, winamp, mozilla, yahoo, skype+ avira and stuff like that, and I only got to about 4 and a half...On win 7. Ultimate.
SouLCasT
SouLCasT

Back to top Go down

Post by Dray The Fingerless Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:21 pm

Actualy no, you didnt run them at the same time. Your computer simply handled the games for you. Windowed or not, usually games that are not upfront and being used, the computer halts giving the game any memory for usage, and dedicates it to whatever youre doing. Unless its really old games for example. Its quite impossible to run three games at teh same time with fully dedicated memory to all 3. Your OS just stops feeeding them until you pull them back up. Thats why games usually take 2 seconds to come up fully.
Dray The Fingerless
Dray The Fingerless
Senate Representative

Back to top Go down

Post by Aardvark Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:37 am

Dray The Fingerless wrote:Well if you wanna go into technobabble, it seems your Cpu is mishandling resources when you start the game, entering a looping that causes your game to slow to an halt. That or your video card is just too weak.

Also Intel has had hexacores out for some months now Aard. Only for desktops thou.

In a year, octacore motherboards will be more common as the technology spreads.

I've checked the card out and it's overpowered if anything. The looping thing is interesting, but the processes never even hits 50% while running the game so the only thing that could be doing that is the GFX card. I wish my card had a built in thermostat so I could safely overclock it, but without even knowing how hot it's running when I start to lag I'm hesitant to try overclocking it.
Aardvark
Aardvark
Prime Minister

Back to top Go down

Post by Dray The Fingerless Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:03 am

Its not about the processor hitting more power. Can just be the software itself handling poorly. I dunno at this time. Like i said, its too broad of a problem to pinpoint solutions. I recommend complete uninstallation of the game, registry wipe as well.
Dray The Fingerless
Dray The Fingerless
Senate Representative

Back to top Go down

Post by SouLCasT Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:23 pm

Dray The Fingerless wrote:Actualy no, you didnt run them at the same time. Your computer simply handled the games for you. Windowed or not, usually games that are not upfront and being used, the computer halts giving the game any memory for usage, and dedicates it to whatever youre doing. Unless its really old games for example. Its quite impossible to run three games at teh same time with fully dedicated memory to all 3. Your OS just stops feeeding them until you pull them back up. Thats why games usually take 2 seconds to come up fully.

Didn't really know that, but still, back to my point, even so, how did you get to 7 gb RAM?
And minimized games still take quite a bit of RAM. For example, Black Ops minimized takes me 700MB. That plus another WoW or LoL, takes about 1.1GB. So still, added with the other crap, makes up to something. But it's not by far 7 gb.. rabbit
SouLCasT
SouLCasT

Back to top Go down

Post by Atlas Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:38 pm

SouLCasT wrote: rabbit

-.-

That reminds me of sb best left forgotten...
Atlas
Atlas

Back to top Go down

Post by SouLCasT Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:14 pm

Atlas wrote:
SouLCasT wrote: rabbit

-.-

That reminds me of sb best left forgotten...

rabbit
SouLCasT
SouLCasT

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next