Jedi vs Sith
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Addressing the Issue of Race (Post 1700s Sense) !SERIOUS!

+8
Champion
Nomad
muigi
Thing
Talkin'boutFreedom
Dray The Fingerless
Red-X
Nihil
12 posters

Go down

Addressing the Issue of Race (Post 1700s Sense) !SERIOUS! Empty Addressing the Issue of Race (Post 1700s Sense) !SERIOUS!

Post by Nihil Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:33 am

Race is a topic always handled ineloquently.
Race is also a topic that cannot be removed because of a variety of reasons.

Ignoring the socioeconomic background to modern racism, what is crossing the line, what is it like to be a minority? What is it like to know that, because of an intellectual construct of justification for immoralities committed against mankind, whose atrocities rival that of the Holocaust, Stalin's Purges and the Native American Genocide, that you must be wary and that unfair prejudices, primarily a result of socioeconomic factors, will haunt you for your entire existence. From cradle to grave, an unfair prejudice, sown in unwitting minds through the seeds planted by racist bigots and unequal socioeconomic standing and quality of life. The mass deportation of Africans from their home, culture, and family into a new world, not just the Americas, is not only a crime against humanity, it is a crime directed at ourselves, the ramifications of this epic unnatural migration and subsequent exploitation of a people are universally tangible. A degree of racism prevalent anywhere in the world.

The Asians face a similar challenge. The Muslims had helped lift Western Europe out of the Dark Ages. However, with the economic expansion of the Western portion of Europe, Asia fell behind, the pinnacle of learning moved from Turkey and predominantly Muslim countries into the West. Following this, the result of internal fighting, economic exploitation from the West, and a fragmented Dar-al-Islam prevented differing Muslim factions from worshipping together and kept the nation down as the lack of fair rule, as exemplified by the last Shah of Iran, although his economic reforms were helpful, and the otherwise laissez-faire tribal units, exemplified by the Arabian Peninsula, particularly Saudi Arabia.

Native Americans are notable in their approach to Europeans in their amity. Their culture was rich, flourishing and diverse in every conceptualization. However, it was their amity that pushed them back. Leading Europeans and Americans, like Thomas Jefferson, believed that Indians were in a less civilized state of living and could be enlightened as equals of Europeans through assimilation. Their strong culture, however, prevented any such assimilation and, as the Jacksonian era approached, the Americans took an increasingly negative view of Natives, epitomized in the Trail of Tears. The forceful pushing out of Natives destroyed their magnificent advanced culture, more advanced than the Americans at the time, I contend, and splintered them into tiny reserves where they attempt, to this day, to live on in their rich culture and tradition which is slowly passing into myth and mystery.

I congratulate the "success" that the "majority" the white man, has had in his pursuit of recourse in redressing the situation with Indians, from the sub-continent, not Native Americans, and the Far East Asians. The mean socioeconomic standing in Japan rose dramatically after WWII, eliminating much of the perceived prejudices regarding them, however, as hypocritical as we know it to be, a deep-seated mistrust of Chinese, being of the same race within in the artificial sense of "race" as it is, remained for quite a while. Indians, with the world attention turned to the British Empire, received wide support due to the atrocities thrust upon them by the British in their quest for autonomy. The racism of the Indians sufficiently petered out following the Sepoy Rebellion and the establishment of railways and the rise in mean socioeconomic standing.

I would go on, but this addresses the issue pertinently. As is inevitable, racism flows from the belief of cultural inferiority and the lack of technological advancement. However, if a culture's outlook is more belligerent and spiritual, they will have advanced less than a culture that is less belligerent and less spiritual, by the same token, geographic conditions can be an impediment or boon to progress. Take Great Britain for instance, their natural abundance of resources key for industrialization lead to the Industrial Revolution. And technological advancement, as a function of culture, still doesn't explain why every society has an equal level of ingenuity, creativity, and intellect, from the Harrapans famous sewage system to the tremendous African city-state of Great Zimbabwe, we see that, even without the proper technology, different races completed monumental tasks that even European explorers marveled at.

I would like to plead for you all to stand up against racism and pledge to renounce racist comments, jokes and slurs in addition to perpetuating false stereotypes. And saying no is fine too... I suppose.

I Pledge to Renounce All Racist Terms, Slurs, Jokes and Insinuations in Addition to Perpetuating False Stereotypes. If I do so, It is by Accident and was Never my Original Intent

Last edited by Nihil on Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:49 am; edited 2 times in total
Nihil
Nihil

+Light/-Dark : -912

Experience Points : 12272
Comments : https://www.facebook.com/mattbcarr

Back to top Go down

Addressing the Issue of Race (Post 1700s Sense) !SERIOUS! Empty Re: Addressing the Issue of Race (Post 1700s Sense) !SERIOUS!

Post by Red-X Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:36 am

^ why this thread?
Red-X
Red-X
Dark Lord of the Sith

+Light/-Dark : -47

Experience Points : 12454
Comments : "You were trusted to lead the Republic but you were decieved, as our powers over the Darkside had blinded you.

You assumed no force could challenge you and now...finally, we have returned." - Darth Malgus

Im active on XFIRE, my username is bojack2424
Im also active on STEAM, my username is solja2424

Back to top Go down

Addressing the Issue of Race (Post 1700s Sense) !SERIOUS! Empty Re: Addressing the Issue of Race (Post 1700s Sense) !SERIOUS!

Post by Dray The Fingerless Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:37 am

No.
Dray The Fingerless
Dray The Fingerless
Senate Representative

+Light/-Dark : 265

Experience Points : 26952
Comments : FIRST!

Back to top Go down

Post by Talkin'boutFreedom Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:39 am

hell to the N to the O
Talkin'boutFreedom
Talkin'boutFreedom

+Light/-Dark : -42

Experience Points : 6706

Back to top Go down

Post by Thing Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:02 am

Why in the fuck is this Great Hall?

I pledge not to use racist comments as insults or jokes on these forums. I will still joke about race until someone is insulted, which at that time I will promptly apologize.

It's not like I do this anyway...
Thing
Thing
Senator - Forum Enforcer

+Light/-Dark : 143

Experience Points : 17676
Comments : A is Atari, the first on the scene. B is Bits, be they 8 or 16. C for Controller Cords stretched ‘cross the floor. D for the Dreamcast, a console no more. E is Ecco, the porpoise-y sea hero. F is for Fantasies Final… Look, chocobos! G is for Genesis, 16-bit mirth. H is for Hyrule, land of Link’s birth. I is for Infocom’s text-based frivoloties. J is for John Carmack’s first-person novelties. K for Konami’s dark vampire tales. L for the Lemmings who march without fail. M is for Mario. Run, goombas, run! N for Nintendo, the first name is fun. O is for Oddworld, with games strage and clever. P is for Pac-Man, who caused quite a fever. Q is for Q-Bert’s curse-filled speech bubble. R is for Ridley, who gave Samus trouble. S is for Sonic, his fleet feet reknowned. T is for Tetris blocks falling in mounds. U is for Ulala’s fast, funky feet. V is for Video cards, fast obsolete. W for Wizardry; through dungeons we’d scurry. X for the Xbox, as big as Missouri. Y is for Yoshi, a plumber’s best friend. Z is for Zelda, and here this rhyme ends.
See ya in anothah life, brothah. - Desmond Hume

Back to top Go down

Post by muigi Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:47 am

silly white boy
muigi
muigi

+Light/-Dark : -3

Experience Points : 5627

Back to top Go down

Post by Nomad Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:43 am

Red-X wrote:^ why this thread?
Nomad
Nomad
Senator - Dark Council

+Light/-Dark : -37

Experience Points : 12655

Back to top Go down

Post by Nihil Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:12 am

Hey, I think it is a good idea and reinforces Champ's post about racism.
Nihil
Nihil

Back to top Go down

Post by Champion Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:16 am

Someone want to give cliffs on that gigantic blob o text?
Champion
Champion
Founder

+Light/-Dark : 415

Experience Points : 17194
Comments : Champion (n):

3. An ardent defender or supporter of a cause or another person: a champion of the righteous.

Back to top Go down

Post by Aragorn Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:17 am

Dray The Fingerless wrote:No.

Nihil, you're not gonna force people to do this with your pledge. It's great that you're taking initiative but this isn't it...
Aragorn
Aragorn
Grand Master of the Jedi Order

+Light/-Dark : -79

Experience Points : 12059
Comments : Invincibility lies in the defence; the possibility of victory in the attack. ~ Sun Tzu

Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat. ~ Sun Tzu

Back to top Go down

Post by Drist Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:18 am

Unnecessary.
Drist
Drist
Sith Approval Committee

+Light/-Dark : 4

Experience Points : 6833

Back to top Go down

Post by Ptolemy Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:28 am

Aragorn wrote:

Nihil, you're not gonna force people to do this with your pledge. It's great that you're taking initiative but this isn't it...
Ptolemy
Ptolemy
Chancellor - Masters Council

+Light/-Dark : 95

Experience Points : 15866
Comments : Addressing the Issue of Race (Post 1700s Sense) !SERIOUS! Bear_wrestling

Back to top Go down

Post by Dray The Fingerless Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:28 am

There is no way i will ever abide by attempting to eliminate all material that can be offensive. Either learn to get a few guts and laugh with it, or just ignore it. This is not referring to insults, if anyone was thinking of pulling that card on me.
Dray The Fingerless
Dray The Fingerless
Senate Representative

+Light/-Dark : 265

Experience Points : 26952
Comments : FIRST!

Back to top Go down

Post by Nihil Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:53 pm

Aragorn wrote:

I'm not forcing people to take it, just read the text, says you can say no too.

Also, people are offended by stuff, sure. But that doesn't mean that we go around offending people, do we?

In public, we don't use offensive racist words, and we have a great diversity in JVS, so why should we use offensive racist words here?

I'm not saying that we should eliminate all offensive material. But when it comes to racism, yes, we should try to be above that, otherwise, well, you are contributing to the vicious cycle of racism.

Also

@CHAMP

I basically outline, imo, the causes of racism and its origins and how it plagues society today. All I'm really asking is for people to show racial sensitivity so that we DON'T discriminate.
Nihil
Nihil

Back to top Go down

Post by Champion Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:31 pm

The thing is Nihil I do not think anyone here is truly a racist. I just think some people are insensitive (and others overly sensitive), and even then not to a great extent. The problem is I think that most of these people did not grow up around the racism. They did not have to worry about making that black or mexican or whatever joke because the black or mexican was not around to punch them in the face.
Champion
Champion
Founder

+Light/-Dark : 415

Experience Points : 17194
Comments : Champion (n):

3. An ardent defender or supporter of a cause or another person: a champion of the righteous.

Back to top Go down

Post by Drist Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:31 am

And now instead of punching you in the face, they'll sell you some weed.
Drist
Drist
Sith Approval Committee

+Light/-Dark : 4

Experience Points : 6833

Back to top Go down

Post by Aureus Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:20 am

lul.

But uhm... yeah...
Aureus
Aureus
Dark Council

+Light/-Dark : 34

Experience Points : 16931
Comments : Henry David Thoreau
Our truest life is when we are in our dreams awake.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down