Jedi vs Sith
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Racism

+5
Thing
Disturbed
Dray The Fingerless
tRibaL
Aardvark
9 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Racism Empty Racism

Post by Aardvark Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:27 pm

Is it still valid today? There are still racists out there, but is it valid to see racism in any joke about race? Considering the fact the rights have been equal among all full citizens of the United States for decades now is it valid to claim racism at any joke having a racial element? And if it is still valid, where do we draw the line? Does it have to imply something bad about the person before it's too far, or is any joke that relates to race in any way unacceptable? And does this extend to other factors? Religion, Sex, Life style? What is "too far"?
Aardvark
Aardvark
Prime Minister

+Light/-Dark : -194

Experience Points : 27038
Comments : Likes: Games, Books, Anime, Star Wars.
Dislikes: Punks, Douches, Ignorant People.

Back to top Go down

Racism Empty Re: Racism

Post by tRibaL Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:35 pm

this still exists, and ppl still die because of it, and idiots still dont respect others and mock them because of there skin, and obama=one big a** mistake america................................................................................................................ id call that racist, and were still sexist, higher pay to men than women for doing the same job just as well

(thats a facebook group)
tRibaL
tRibaL

+Light/-Dark : -2

Experience Points : 9142

Back to top Go down

Post by Aardvark Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:40 pm

They don't call Obama a mistake because he's Black, they call him a mistake because in the course of one year he took the national debt from 500 Billion to 1.4 Trillion, and unemployment is still rising.

As for the women getting less pay then men, yes I know it happens, but I think there are unmentioned factors in that. For one simple big factor, a whole new insurance has to be brought up for women called "Maternity leave" and as you'll find out, the more benefits(insurances) you have, the lower your salary will be to make up for the cost of insurance.
Aardvark
Aardvark
Prime Minister

Back to top Go down

Post by tRibaL Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:42 pm

that makes sense, but i also know that if your judging somebodys pay different, isnt that sexist even if its sensible?
tRibaL
tRibaL

Back to top Go down

Post by Aardvark Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:46 pm

No it's pragmatic. Maternity leave covers months of absence with full pay, if the company is mandated to plan for that by law, then is it really fair to make them pay out even more overall to women? Insurance costs a LOT, and generally you'll find that if a field requires the same amount of work and pays more it's more likely to have less insurance coverage.
Aardvark
Aardvark
Prime Minister

Back to top Go down

Post by tRibaL Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:47 pm

i agree with that, but i still think people are predujice in nature just because of how they were brought up.
tRibaL
tRibaL

Back to top Go down

Post by Aardvark Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:50 pm

Yes it's human nature to distrust what is not alike, but I don't really think racism is a valid argument anymore. In certain cases it may be, but there are too many claims where the person meant no harm just didn't know what people would find offensive.
Aardvark
Aardvark
Prime Minister

Back to top Go down

Post by Dray The Fingerless Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:24 pm

"You are not even human, fucking beings. You are nothing but unorganized grabastic pieces of amphibian shit. Because I am hard you will not like me. But the more you hate me the more you will learn. I am hard but I am fair. There is no racial bigotry here. I do not look down on niggers, kikes, wops or greasers. Here you are all equally worthless."- Gunnery Sergeant Hartman, Full Metal Jacket 1987.

that should be a motto for jokes. wether it be gays, blacks, nerds, etc. they are all equally jokeable. or at least should be.
Dray The Fingerless
Dray The Fingerless
Senate Representative

+Light/-Dark : 265

Experience Points : 26970
Comments : FIRST!

Back to top Go down

Post by Disturbed Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:14 pm

racism still exists, equal rights are bogus, I have friends that have been arrested for things noone else doing the same would be.
Disturbed
Disturbed
Forum Enforcer

+Light/-Dark : -67

Experience Points : 10472

Back to top Go down

Post by Aardvark Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:34 pm

Racism may still exist, this doesn't debate that, but is it still acceptable to have anything said having to do with race called a racist remark?
Aardvark
Aardvark
Prime Minister

Back to top Go down

Post by Disturbed Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:37 pm

no, as long as its not insulting. BUT, certain sterotypes can be insulting esp those related to blacks. Because they had gone through a lot of shit and haven't even went 25% of the way in getting revenge, so they kinda have a right to be touchy. However, they are taking part of their revenge in the form of rap xD
Disturbed
Disturbed
Forum Enforcer

Back to top Go down

Post by Aardvark Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:40 pm

They don't have a right to be touchy about a food joke when they can call a white man "cracker"(which if you don't know it the equivalent of nigger), and don't have to worry about being fired or exiled from their community. Sorry, but fair's fair.
Aardvark
Aardvark
Prime Minister

Back to top Go down

Post by Thing Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:02 pm

I don't take the word cracker seriously...

But I think it's acceptable only when and if you don't mean any harm with the word. It should only be used as joke. Although, you should be careful when you use it.
Thing
Thing
Senator - Forum Enforcer

+Light/-Dark : 143

Experience Points : 17694
Comments : A is Atari, the first on the scene. B is Bits, be they 8 or 16. C for Controller Cords stretched ‘cross the floor. D for the Dreamcast, a console no more. E is Ecco, the porpoise-y sea hero. F is for Fantasies Final… Look, chocobos! G is for Genesis, 16-bit mirth. H is for Hyrule, land of Link’s birth. I is for Infocom’s text-based frivoloties. J is for John Carmack’s first-person novelties. K for Konami’s dark vampire tales. L for the Lemmings who march without fail. M is for Mario. Run, goombas, run! N for Nintendo, the first name is fun. O is for Oddworld, with games strage and clever. P is for Pac-Man, who caused quite a fever. Q is for Q-Bert’s curse-filled speech bubble. R is for Ridley, who gave Samus trouble. S is for Sonic, his fleet feet reknowned. T is for Tetris blocks falling in mounds. U is for Ulala’s fast, funky feet. V is for Video cards, fast obsolete. W for Wizardry; through dungeons we’d scurry. X for the Xbox, as big as Missouri. Y is for Yoshi, a plumber’s best friend. Z is for Zelda, and here this rhyme ends.
See ya in anothah life, brothah. - Desmond Hume

Back to top Go down

Post by Disturbed Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:03 pm

the blacks never enslave the whites and tortured them for decades, so the word doesn't have that much weight in it as nigger
Disturbed
Disturbed
Forum Enforcer

Back to top Go down

Post by Thing Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:06 pm

True. That's why I don't find it offensive.
Thing
Thing
Senator - Forum Enforcer

Comments : A is Atari, the first on the scene. B is Bits, be they 8 or 16. C for Controller Cords stretched ‘cross the floor. D for the Dreamcast, a console no more. E is Ecco, the porpoise-y sea hero. F is for Fantasies Final… Look, chocobos! G is for Genesis, 16-bit mirth. H is for Hyrule, land of Link’s birth. I is for Infocom’s text-based frivoloties. J is for John Carmack’s first-person novelties. K for Konami’s dark vampire tales. L for the Lemmings who march without fail. M is for Mario. Run, goombas, run! N for Nintendo, the first name is fun. O is for Oddworld, with games strage and clever. P is for Pac-Man, who caused quite a fever. Q is for Q-Bert’s curse-filled speech bubble. R is for Ridley, who gave Samus trouble. S is for Sonic, his fleet feet reknowned. T is for Tetris blocks falling in mounds. U is for Ulala’s fast, funky feet. V is for Video cards, fast obsolete. W for Wizardry; through dungeons we’d scurry. X for the Xbox, as big as Missouri. Y is for Yoshi, a plumber’s best friend. Z is for Zelda, and here this rhyme ends.

Back to top Go down

Post by Aardvark Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:06 pm

Yes and I've never heard of a white guy strapping a black man down and force feeding him Watermelon and Chicken so the food jokes shouldn't have any weight.
Aardvark
Aardvark
Prime Minister

Back to top Go down

Post by Thing Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:12 pm

Wow... Holy shit, if that happened?
Thing
Thing
Senator - Forum Enforcer

Back to top Go down

Post by Dray The Fingerless Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:28 pm

Disturbed wrote:the blacks never enslave the whites and tortured them for decades, so the word doesn't have that much weight in it as nigger

the connotation of the word nigger has lost any valuable point in a argument, the minute the whole black community uses it blatantly. agreed some dont, but then again, if i considered every single individuals opinion in this world...

not to mention, on ur previous post, reflecting on revenge. so, im to blame for the cultural status of 2 or 3 centuries ago? not to mention, how stupid and unprofitable effort revenge is.
Dray The Fingerless
Dray The Fingerless
Senate Representative

Back to top Go down

Post by Dray The Fingerless Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:38 pm

Not to mention, my hatred towards the stupidity that most of us show when dealing with this. i think that black people are the most racist people on earth right now. and not for the reasons your thinking.

so, 2 or 3 centuries ago, the black community was enslaved and forced thru torture and death.

and nowadays, the black community think that they have more right to protest and grief those people, while i have no right to do so. honestly, go to a black community gathering or sth or talk to them about slavery.

imagine you come up in a conversation with your black friends and you say. "man, slavery was such a shame to mankind. how we could ever have done that..."

and this is the part that trully saddens me, is that, most of the time they will act as if you know nothing about it.(thankfully, this is trully changing, and it doesnt happen as much) responses such as
"what would YOU know about it white boy?"
or
"you have no idea what its like white boy"

nowadays, every single human being has the same human and governmental rights. true, racism is around, but i suffer the prejudice from black people community that they suffer from others. so at that, the point is null

but what makes a black man in more right to talk about slavery then me? because hes black? thats kinda racist. i think slavery is a error of mankind as a whole. and we should all be ashamed of it nowadays. i am no different from that black friend of mine. we are the same thing. more today then ever. we have the smae rights, we have the same opportunities, and we are made ofthe same thing. so what makes him think that he has the right to shun me from such conversations as that one? because hes black? well, was he a slave back then? did he have a friend, anyone in that time? does he have any clue of what they felt or went thru, other then the same things i do due to learning them in history books?

we have reached a point in society i think, where i dont have to say "Sorry for enslaving you". No, i will never say sorry for that. ever. i did nothing, and i hate what they did back in those days as much as i hate any kind of racism nowadays. i feel no guilt for what the europeans did, i feel only disapointed with mankind as a whole. we've reached a point where we SHOULD ALL be ashamed of what happened. black or white. equally.
Dray The Fingerless
Dray The Fingerless
Senate Representative

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:20 pm

Most of the black people I've met have been humble and respectful. I think that the whites live on too high of a society, and think too much of themselves. But honestly, MANY blacks are still recovering from the slave trade. They do not have as much of a financial foundation as the whites do to be living high society. After the slave trade, they had to work their way up to where they are now.

I live near a ghetto, where the living conditions are tough. All who live there are black, and struggle to put food on the table. They are forced into prostitution and crime to even live.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dray The Fingerless Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:34 pm

that is hardly anth to do with racism, and more to do with them being a minority. if black people become a majority, it will even things up in society. becuz of those 2 centuries ago, evening things up is hard, but it is slowly happening. for christ sake, the most powerful man in the world is black.
Dray The Fingerless
Dray The Fingerless
Senate Representative

Back to top Go down

Post by Champion Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:34 pm

Aardvark wrote:They don't have a right to be touchy about a food joke when they can call a white man "cracker"(which if you don't know it the equivalent of nigger), and don't have to worry about being fired or exiled from their community. Sorry, but fair's fair.

You're kidding me right? Your total lack of empathy is horrendous. What the hell does being called a cracker, a term with NO evil background or use compare to nigger, a word used not only out of hatred but one which freely flowed from the lips of evil men.. much like another term that comes to mind, heil hitler. And a word which still to this day flows from the descendants of the same evil murderous ignorant bastards who it originated with. You mind telling me how cracker even compares?

thing944 wrote:I don't take the word cracker seriously...

But I think it's acceptable only when and if you don't mean any harm with the word. It should only be used as joke. Although, you should be careful when you use it.

Cracker, while not as serious a term as nigger should not be used as well. It does however, not carry the same background and thus to some it may be used in jokes, such as the jokes comedians use. Note you will never see any race use the word nigger though, except for blacks (and sadly, even a black man can be racist towards his own race without even realizing it).

Maybe part of the problem with this issue is people like you, who do not take things seriously enough.

Disturbed wrote:the blacks never enslave the whites and tortured them for decades, so the word doesn't have that much weight in it as nigger

My point exactly. Not decades, centuries. And it wasnt just enslavement, many peoples have done that in the past without such horrid results. The romans valued their slaves and yes, while they did put some slaves to death they rarely tortured or physically abused them. The Jews of the bible took slaves, but they were treated as fine pieces of property and still held human life and dignity in their views. A nigger was a piece of shit to the white man, and he was below trash and garbage. They were beat, corralled with animals, fed garbage and scraps (actually the origin of many soul foods is from the slave masters, such as giblits and chitlins).

No I am sorry, the two will never compare. A cracker will never be anything near what a nigger is. Period.

Dray The Fingerless wrote:

the connotation of the word nigger has lost any valuable point in a argument, the minute the whole black community uses it blatantly. agreed some dont, but then again, if i considered every single individuals opinion in this world...

not to mention, on ur previous post, reflecting on revenge. so, im to blame for the cultural status of 2 or 3 centuries ago? not to mention, how stupid and unprofitable effort revenge is.

So basically because a bunch of youthful blacks altered the word and use it willingly to mock the racists who exist and to alleviate the pain they suffer through it suddenly its invalid towards the entire race, culture and history? I think not. A few sour apples DO NOT sour the entire cart, not with race. You really should study psychology and why people make words like nigger their own to avoid certain things.
Champion
Champion
Founder

+Light/-Dark : 415

Experience Points : 17212
Comments : Champion (n):

3. An ardent defender or supporter of a cause or another person: a champion of the righteous.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dray The Fingerless Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:47 pm

you should switch some with most. honestly, its most of them. most black people have no idea what the term really carries on to. and thus it has lost its value in society. then of course, someone brings up what it means and ppl get silent.

and another thing champ. i dont value color, religion, or culture in different levels.. so i DEFINITLY do not value descendency. you could be the son of hitler for all i care, as long as you were a good person.
Dray The Fingerless
Dray The Fingerless
Senate Representative

Back to top Go down

Post by Champion Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:51 pm

Dray The Fingerless wrote:you should switch some with most. honestly, its most of them. most black people have no idea what the term really carries on to. and thus it has lost its value in society. then of course, someone brings up what it means and ppl get silent.

Oh dray, please sir. Give me your extensive background with the black american cultural community besides the one you have from watching movies while eating popcorn. I grew up in Paterson NJ, and then lived in other highly undesirable areas like Trenton NJ. I never had many black friends, which is what the first thing a racist will tell you (DUDE, MY BEST FRIEND IS BLACK LULZ I CANT BE RACIST), but I sure as hell have dealt with them extensively. I can tell you with no doubt in my mind most blacks that do reach adulthood alive shun and never use the word nigga, and many black activists are against the use of the word in any context.
Champion
Champion
Founder

+Light/-Dark : 415

Experience Points : 17212
Comments : Champion (n):

3. An ardent defender or supporter of a cause or another person: a champion of the righteous.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dray The Fingerless Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:56 pm

funny, becuz society is reflected by what the world knows of it. and what the black society lets out to the world to know is that the word nigga is over used amongst them. in fact, it is more valuable what a person with little interaction knows then one who has bathed in deep in the society itself. so a casual bystanders opinion about

"so what do you think of Irish people?"
"uh, i dont know. they like drinks, bars n fighting..."

that reflects how the world looks at them. and the world looks at black community as in using the term nigga quite blatantly. sure once you dig in it, it becomes less simple, but the problem is what they let the world see.

also, yes i know quite some black people and have interacted with them.
Dray The Fingerless
Dray The Fingerless
Senate Representative

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next