Jedi vs Sith
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

LucasArts and... Disney?

+5
Daft Punk
Dray The Fingerless
Red-X
Ptolemy
Aardvark
9 posters

Go down

LucasArts and... Disney? Empty LucasArts and... Disney?

Post by Aardvark Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:48 pm

Escapist wrote:The Walt Disney Company announced today that it has entered into a deal to acquire Lucasfilm, which is currently wholly owned by founder, chairman and Star Wars Mastermind George Lucas, for a little more than $4 billion. Approximately half of the purchase price will be paid in cash, while the balance will be covered in the form of roughly 40 million shares in the company. Along with Lucasfilm, Disney will also take over Industrial Light and Magic, Skywalker Sound and gaming division LucasArts.

"For the past 35 years, one of my greatest pleasures has been to see Star Wars passed from one generation to the next," Lucas said. "It's now time for me to pass Star Wars on to a new generation of filmmakers. I've always believed that Star Wars could live beyond me, and I thought it was important to set up the transition during my lifetime."

Lucasfilm Co-Chair Kathleen Kennedy will take over as President, reporting directly to Walt Disney Studios Chairman Alan Horn, and will also become Brand Manager of Star Wars, working with Disney to "build, further integrate, and maximize the value of this global franchise." She will serve as executive producer on new Star Wars films, with Lucas taking on the role of creative consultant. Speaking of new Star Wars films, Disney also confirmed that Star Wars Episode 7 is in the works and expected to be ready for release in 2015, and that more films will be developed and released "well into the future."

For the full story: http://www.streetinsider.com/Press+Releases/Disney+to+Acquire+Lucasfilm+Ltd./7828436.html
Aardvark
Aardvark
Prime Minister

+Light/-Dark : -194

Experience Points : 27038
Comments : Likes: Games, Books, Anime, Star Wars.
Dislikes: Punks, Douches, Ignorant People.

Back to top Go down

LucasArts and... Disney? Empty Re: LucasArts and... Disney?

Post by Ptolemy Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:11 pm

this has got to be a hoax

Lucas would never release control of that franchise...

course 2Bil in cash is a strong argument.

I would be tempted to sell my Son for 2 bil in cash.
Ptolemy
Ptolemy
Chancellor - Masters Council

+Light/-Dark : 95

Experience Points : 15884
Comments : LucasArts and... Disney? Bear_wrestling

Back to top Go down

Post by Ptolemy Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:14 pm

well crap i just saw this,

http://thewaltdisneycompany.com/disney-news/press-releases/2012/10/disney-acquire-lucasfilm-ltd

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2012/10/30/disney-to-buy-lucasfilm-for-4-05b/

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2012/10/30/disney-buying-tar-wars-maker-lucasfilm-for-405b/?intcmp=features

fox News wrote:"The last `Star Wars' movie release was 2005's `Revenge of the Sith' -- and we believe there's substantial pent-up demand," Iger said.

Kathleen Kennedy, the current co-chairman of Lucasfilm, will become the division's president and report to Walt Disney Studios Chairman Alan Horn. Lucas will be creative consultant on new "Star Wars" films.

Lucas said in a statement, "It's now time for me to pass `Star Wars' on to a new generation of filmmakers."

The deal brings Lucasfilm under the Disney banner with other brands including Pixar, Marvel, ESPN and ABC, all companies that Disney has acquired over the years. A former weatherman who rose through the ranks of ABC, Iger has orchestrated some of the company's biggest acquisitions, including the $7.4 billion purchase of animated movie studio Pixar in 2006 and the $4.2 billion acquisition of comic book giant Marvel in 2009.
Ptolemy
Ptolemy

Back to top Go down

Post by Red-X Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:17 pm

If they are not faithful to the the Star Wars Expanded Universe Timeline, I'm probably going to cry over the amount of money I just wasted enjoying the years spent reading the stories. This is fucking wrong
Red-X
Red-X
Dark Lord of the Sith

+Light/-Dark : -47

Experience Points : 12472
Comments : "You were trusted to lead the Republic but you were decieved, as our powers over the Darkside had blinded you.

You assumed no force could challenge you and now...finally, we have returned." - Darth Malgus

Im active on XFIRE, my username is bojack2424
Im also active on STEAM, my username is solja2424

Back to top Go down

Post by Aardvark Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:23 am

That's the problem, the original scripts for 7-9 contradict a lot of the canonicity after the original trilogy, in order to keep the books and games straight they would have to either do a MASSIVE overhaul on the original script or they would have to generate a new one entirely. If they made the Legacy book series into movies I do think it would work well, but that's a massive jump in time and events so more likely if they adapted anything it would be the Dark Empire, Thrawn, or Jedi Academy trilogies, maybe even the Yuuzhan Vong War.
Aardvark
Aardvark
Prime Minister

Back to top Go down

Post by Dray The Fingerless Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:38 am

WILL THIS FUCKING FRANCHISE JUST DIE! These fucking movies are the origin, the primordus, the catalyst, and the keen example of the mess that started in late 1970s, the nerdom of franchises and feeding them the material like fucking lil leeches who have no mind of their own. This to me, is the worst thing created with Star Wars, this INCESSANT and MINDLESS drivel of the same SHIT, over n over again, like a masturbation session lasting for 4 decades now, and spreaded to all kinds of media, and other IPs thru out the years. i hate nerds and what theyve done to artistic creation. I thought this stupidity was limited to the mess that is the comic book genre, but no, THIS is what it came to. I hope you nerds are happy, THIS is what you get when you love something too much.
Dray The Fingerless
Dray The Fingerless
Senate Representative

+Light/-Dark : 265

Experience Points : 26970
Comments : FIRST!

Back to top Go down

Post by Ptolemy Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:48 am

I look forward to what they are doing...

(Waits for the dray rage to continue)
Ptolemy
Ptolemy

Back to top Go down

Post by Dray The Fingerless Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:52 am

The thing is Ptolemy, Star Wars has been, for a looooong time now, unrepairable. The original trilogy fans cannot be quelled well enough, and by now, these guys arent going to appeal to the people who saw and appreciated the classics. Theyre going for the idiot generation we have now, with kid friendly jar jar binkses everywhere. And then more flaming, and more jokes, and more pouring what was once a respectable movie franchise into the sewers. Star Wars has been shit for a while now, and i was hoping that Georgie would die and take it with him. Now youll see the Disney effect. Hannie Montaney crossovers, disney channel series....jar jar binkses everywhere. Sad The franchise was dead, but now theyre just gonna rape the corpse forever.
Dray The Fingerless
Dray The Fingerless
Senate Representative

Back to top Go down

Post by Aardvark Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:08 am

What they did for Marvel was actually, for the most part, an improvement save that One Last Day travesty and Spider-man in general so I don't fear the Disney effect that much, my problem is the continuation of the movies especially since Lucas said he would NEVER let 7-9 be made.
Aardvark
Aardvark
Prime Minister

Back to top Go down

Post by Dray The Fingerless Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:16 am

they are 6 movies. 3 good ones, 3 meh ones, the whole ark of anakin skywalker told. thats what star wars is. Rise, Fall and Redemption of one character. 7-9 wil not fit, will not make sense. There is just NOTHING left to be done here. Im pretty sure every single EU plot has been repeated, every cliche, every plot twist, every character type. There is simply nothing left to be done. You cannot make something Star Wars anymore without it already existing. Been there, done that. Like i said, this has degraded into masturbation aard, and it is becoming an addiction.

Disney did NOTHING for Marvel that wasnt already there. The only thing Disney did was give them money and stay the fuck away from it. Thats all.
Dray The Fingerless
Dray The Fingerless
Senate Representative

Back to top Go down

Post by Aardvark Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:44 am

Which is what they needed, though they did make them lighten the fuck up... a little which it really needed after the Civil War event comic. I'm not saying the series isn't tapped out at this point, I can guess most of the twists and turns, but not every story is really about the story. Wraith squadron books told the same tired tales, but it was a story about the characters so the plot didn't matter most of the time. Fate of the Jedi was more about diving into the Force and discovery, Legacy was about exactly how a Jedi can fall to the dark while thinking he was doing everything right and does a MUCH better job of it than the prequels did.

So yeah, I think they're running out fast, but there are aspect of the SW universe left almost completely vacant. Until 8 years ago Mandalorian didn't mean shit, now it's a whole thing and they didn't have to retread anything. So there are still things worth exploring through games and books, film is tapped though.
Aardvark
Aardvark
Prime Minister

Back to top Go down

Post by Ptolemy Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:23 pm

I dunno, I think the Bane books would make a good movie, If we fallow an X-wing squadron that would be cool as well...

kind of like the Black sheep squadron in WW2...
Ptolemy
Ptolemy

Back to top Go down

Post by Red-X Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:12 pm

They couldn't follow Bane for the new trilogy, but probably another set of movies. Those would be a prequel of a prequel

BUT the x-wing movies I guess I can sit through
Red-X
Red-X
Dark Lord of the Sith

Comments : "You were trusted to lead the Republic but you were decieved, as our powers over the Darkside had blinded you.

You assumed no force could challenge you and now...finally, we have returned." - Darth Malgus

Back to top Go down

Post by Daft Punk Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:47 pm

Post 6... Is very Dark.... do you really think Disney can do dark? I mean look at the darkest thing they have ever done, you're all thinking about Pirates of the Caribbean arn't you....It just wont work they just have no concept of showing true anguish and just being overall serious.
Daft Punk
Daft Punk

+Light/-Dark : 3

Experience Points : 5791

Back to top Go down

Post by Dray The Fingerless Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:11 pm

Daft Punk wrote:Post 6... Is very Dark.... do you really think Disney can do dark? I mean look at the darkest thing they have ever done, you're all thinking about Pirates of the Caribbean arn't you....It just wont work they just have no concept of showing true anguish and just being overall serious.

for real? you dunno disney much then....i still think this is going to suck and i wish star wars would die. i love it, but it popularized one of the worst trends in our society, wich has been limiting creative design ever since.
Dray The Fingerless
Dray The Fingerless
Senate Representative

Back to top Go down

Post by Gal3rm Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:48 am

honestly i dont know what you mean by that Dray...but please, don't tell me. I don't care. I'll watch anything star wars cause it's star wars.
Gal3rm
Gal3rm

+Light/-Dark : 5

Experience Points : 5516

Back to top Go down

Post by The Exile Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:57 am

let's just hope we don't see a friendly darth vader with white gloves
The Exile
The Exile
Senator

Experience Points : 5923

Back to top Go down

Post by Red-X Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:27 pm

The Exile wrote:let's just hope we don't see a friendly darth vader with white gloves

He does make numerous appearances later on in the EU
Red-X
Red-X
Dark Lord of the Sith

Back to top Go down

Post by Aardvark Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:53 pm

Red-X wrote:
The Exile wrote:let's just hope we don't see a friendly darth vader with white gloves

He does make numerous appearances later on in the EU

Yeah but most of them suck.
Aardvark
Aardvark
Prime Minister

Back to top Go down

Post by The Exile Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:16 pm

omg...
The Exile
The Exile
Senator

Experience Points : 5923

Back to top Go down

Post by Dray The Fingerless Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:27 am

Gal3rm wrote:honestly i dont know what you mean by that Dray...but please, don't tell me. I don't care. I'll watch anything star wars cause it's star wars.

exactly my issue. the franchising and incessant milking of the cow has nothing but killed creative design. i mean, look at what we did in the 19th and early 20th century. why cant we have more people doing works as revolutionizing as jules verne, tolkien, asimov, and less, oh star wars movie...23, fuckin, shmicky shmiwalker is pew pew lightsabering wit da bad guy. i know franchising is an old thing, but god if star wars didnt BOOM the sequelitis disease. people cant come up with their own worlds, characters, their own settings.
Dray The Fingerless
Dray The Fingerless
Senate Representative

Back to top Go down

Post by Gal3rm Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:56 am

Dray The Fingerless wrote:
Gal3rm wrote:honestly i dont know what you mean by that Dray...but please, don't tell me. I don't care. I'll watch anything star wars cause it's star wars.

exactly my issue. the franchising and incessant milking of the cow has nothing but killed creative design. i mean, look at what we did in the 19th and early 20th century. why cant we have more people doing works as revolutionizing as jules verne, tolkien, asimov, and less, oh star wars movie...23, fuckin, shmicky shmiwalker is pew pew lightsabering wit da bad guy. i know franchising is an old thing, but god if star wars didnt BOOM the sequelitis disease. people cant come up with their own worlds, characters, their own settings.

Ok. Now i get what you're getting at. I agree. Unfortunately, because everyone in this forum DOES like Star Wars, we're bound to watch it. Good or bad. But if you want a refreshing new series, let me know. I'll direct you to some awesome books.

PS. Do you still live in Portugal?
Gal3rm
Gal3rm

Experience Points : 5516

Back to top Go down

Post by KOTOR Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:54 pm

While I love starwars, the movies do nothing to stifle my creativity. I roleplay like a madthing after watching something starwarsy. Not to mention I'm also inspired by the works of Tolkien, especially the Simarillon and the links I can make to religious lore. It won't stop peoples inability to make their own stuff, only they can do that themselves, it'll most probably energise more fans to write stuff of their own, completely different to Star wars or maybe similar? I don't know, guess we gotta wait and see. I for one am interested in how the movie goes.
KOTOR
KOTOR

+Light/-Dark : 8

Experience Points : 7150

Back to top Go down

Post by The Zohan Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:36 am

I think Dray is correct.

The way I see it though is that it can't get any worse than The Clone Wars, which comforts me in a way.

If we indeed see post Episode VI Luke, Han, and Leia, I hope they do them in CGI instead of casting them to new actors. And when I say CGI, I mean CGI like Terminator Salvation and Schwarzenegger. If there was one good thing about T4: Salvation, It was Schwarzenegger's CGI.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7YYfgx_cHo
The Zohan
The Zohan

+Light/-Dark : 13

Experience Points : 6977

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum