Jedi vs Sith
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gun Laws

+10
Nihil
Champion
Aardvark
LoneStar
Bulldog
Spidey
Talkin'boutFreedom
Dray The Fingerless
Ptolemy
Khensu Meridius
14 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Gun Laws - Page 3 Empty Re: Gun Laws

Post by Ptolemy Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:06 am

Aardvark wrote:If guns become harder to get then even blackmarket supplies die down, and while those MacGuyver guns may work for a shot or two, they don't do automatic and don't have easily reloaded clips.

do not need multiple shots to kill someone Ard. one bullet will do it.
Ptolemy
Ptolemy
Chancellor - Masters Council

+Light/-Dark : 95

Experience Points : 15875
Comments : Gun Laws - Page 3 Bear_wrestling

Back to top Go down

Post by Aardvark Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:38 pm

Yeah, most people don't have that much accuracy with a gun. Hell most people have a hard time hitting a target with a full revolver.
Aardvark
Aardvark
Prime Minister

+Light/-Dark : -194

Experience Points : 27029
Comments : Likes: Games, Books, Anime, Star Wars.
Dislikes: Punks, Douches, Ignorant People.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nihil Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:53 pm

Honesty, besides the danger even a normal honest gun bearing citizen presents, if you feel insecure enough that you have to pack heat when you leave your house, then you really have a problem...
Nihil
Nihil

+Light/-Dark : -912

Experience Points : 12281
Comments : https://www.facebook.com/mattbcarr

Back to top Go down

Post by Dray The Fingerless Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:22 pm

You mean the place you live has a problem.
Dray The Fingerless
Dray The Fingerless
Senate Representative

+Light/-Dark : 265

Experience Points : 26961
Comments : FIRST!

Back to top Go down

Post by Thing Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:33 pm

Dray The Fingerless wrote:You mean the place you live has a problem.
That or you're paranoid.
Thing
Thing
Senator - Forum Enforcer

+Light/-Dark : 143

Experience Points : 17685
Comments : A is Atari, the first on the scene. B is Bits, be they 8 or 16. C for Controller Cords stretched ‘cross the floor. D for the Dreamcast, a console no more. E is Ecco, the porpoise-y sea hero. F is for Fantasies Final… Look, chocobos! G is for Genesis, 16-bit mirth. H is for Hyrule, land of Link’s birth. I is for Infocom’s text-based frivoloties. J is for John Carmack’s first-person novelties. K for Konami’s dark vampire tales. L for the Lemmings who march without fail. M is for Mario. Run, goombas, run! N for Nintendo, the first name is fun. O is for Oddworld, with games strage and clever. P is for Pac-Man, who caused quite a fever. Q is for Q-Bert’s curse-filled speech bubble. R is for Ridley, who gave Samus trouble. S is for Sonic, his fleet feet reknowned. T is for Tetris blocks falling in mounds. U is for Ulala’s fast, funky feet. V is for Video cards, fast obsolete. W for Wizardry; through dungeons we’d scurry. X for the Xbox, as big as Missouri. Y is for Yoshi, a plumber’s best friend. Z is for Zelda, and here this rhyme ends.
See ya in anothah life, brothah. - Desmond Hume

Back to top Go down

Post by Ptolemy Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:49 am

well i would carry to have the ability to protect myself and my family. I read to much about idiots shooting places up and doing the damage because there is no one there with the ability to stop them. If i can distract the guy so my family can get away then so be it. If in that process i can take them down i would do that as well.

you do not have to be paranoid or live in a bad part of town to feel like you have to carry It is my constitutional right to keep and bear arms and what i have or what i use them for is not your business unless i break the law with them.
Ptolemy
Ptolemy

Back to top Go down

Post by Champion Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:37 am

I'll put it this way.

Even if it were illegal to have a gun, I would have one. And the first person who comes and tries to take it from me will find out why I have one in the first place.
Champion
Champion
Founder

+Light/-Dark : 415

Experience Points : 17203
Comments : Champion (n):

3. An ardent defender or supporter of a cause or another person: a champion of the righteous.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nihil Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:53 am

Ptolemy wrote:well i would carry to have the ability to protect myself and my family. I read to much about idiots shooting places up and doing the damage because there is no one there with the ability to stop them. If i can distract the guy so my family can get away then so be it. If in that process i can take them down i would do that as well.

you do not have to be paranoid or live in a bad part of town to feel like you have to carry It is my constitutional right to keep and bear arms and what i have or what i use them for is not your business unless i break the law with them.

It is my right to bear nuclear armaments, as long as a don't break the law with them, so that I can protect my family from the "evil muslims" then?

Au contraire!

And yes, you do have to be paranoid to take arms with you when you walk your dog, seriously, and even if you did have a gun, what are you going to do when someone pulls a gun on YOU? Shoot them??? LOL, they already have a bullet in you by the time you pull out your gun!

Ptolemy, if someone could have stopped those "idiots" don't you think someone might have been killed in the cross fire? AND the fact that these "idiots" can even procure guns in such an easy manner is a problem.

You're stuck in your vision and ideal of the pre-industrialized version of America, where guns didn't even have that much a chance of firing successfully and they required constant management on the field to continue firing, where Indians roamed against invaders of their land and where there was no established police force. THAT america is gone forever. The definition of Freedom to an American changed around this time too, the government did not provide freedom through laissez-faire dealings, it provided freedom through protections and an activist state that sought to address social issues.
Nihil
Nihil

Back to top Go down

Post by Ptolemy Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:13 am

Nihil wrote:
Ptolemy wrote:well i would carry to have the ability to protect myself and my family. I read to much about idiots shooting places up and doing the damage because there is no one there with the ability to stop them. If i can distract the guy so my family can get away then so be it. If in that process i can take them down i would do that as well.

It is my right to bear nuclear armaments, as long as a don't break the law with them, so that I can protect my family from the "evil muslims" then?

Au contraire!

And yes, you do have to be paranoid to take arms with you when you walk your dog, seriously, and even if you did have a gun, what are you going to do when someone pulls a gun on YOU? Shoot them??? LOL, they already have a bullet in you by the time you pull out your gun!

Ptolemy, if someone could have stopped those "idiots" don't you think someone might have been killed in the cross fire? AND the fact that these "idiots" can even procure guns in such an easy manner is a problem.

You're stuck in your vision and ideal of the pre-industrialized version of America, where guns didn't even have that much a chance of firing successfully and they required constant management on the field to continue firing, where Indians roamed against invaders of their land and where there was no established police force. THAT america is gone forever. The definition of Freedom to an American changed around this time too, the government did not provide freedom through laissez-faire dealings, it provided freedom through protections and an activist state that sought to address social issues.

Your mistake is going to extremes. A nuclear weapon is not a firearm is it? a 'gun'? there are several cases where a 'rampage' was stopped at 1 or 2 victims. that's a lot better than 30 is it not? i will look them up and get back to you. could i stop someone lie that? i dunno but like i said, if i can provide a distraction and allow others to escape i would do it. I will not be the one shot in the back, i will not lay down and let someone roll over me. You like to debate and refuse to see another point of view. I like to be prepared to protect my family. someone with a gun will shoot you as fast as they will me. I have a good chance of being missed because i will be shooting back.

the constitution didn't change Nihil. there are still certain things that the government cannot do. these things are outlined in the Constitution. our freedom hasn't changed. It is your definition or freedom that has changed.
Ptolemy
Ptolemy

Back to top Go down

Post by Nihil Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:42 am

Ptolemy wrote:
Nihil wrote:

Au contraire!

Your mistake is going to extremes. A nuclear weapon is not a firearm is it? a 'gun'? there are several cases where a 'rampage' was stopped at 1 or 2 victims. that's a lot better than 30 is it not? i will look them up and get back to you. could i stop someone lie that? i dunno but like i said, if i can provide a distraction and allow others to escape i would do it. I will not be the one shot in the back, i will not lay down and let someone roll over me. You like to debate and refuse to see another point of view. I like to be prepared to protect my family. someone with a gun will shoot you as fast as they will me. I have a good chance of being missed because i will be shooting back.

the constitution didn't change Nihil. there are still certain things that the government cannot do. these things are outlined in the Constitution. our freedom hasn't changed. It is your definition or freedom that has changed.

OMG ptolemy, really? the right to BEAR ARMS, not FIREARMS >.>

Also, you've got a gun pointed at you, tell me, do you draw your weapon and hope the assaulter misses when he sees that? Seriously, you would be shot Ptolemy, there is no chance of you living if you have a gun pointed at you, unless by some miracle, the assaulter misses, and then you fire back.

Ptolemy, pick up your goddamn history book and read it, I'm fucking looking at it right now and unless Eric Foner is a "goddamn liberal" hellbent on brainwashing the youth of america with his "bias" in the liberal corrupt public school system, this is pretty damn well the truth.

The definition of freedom to an american does change, look at the progressive era, LOOK AT ABOLITION, look at temperance and prohibition, these may seem like restrictions on freedom, but our modern sense of freedom has changed, many reformers saw alcohol as a restriction to liberty.

Here you can't see my book, so here is the second best thing:

http://college.usc.edu/news/stories/419/the-meaning-of-freedom/

WITH ERIC FONER
Nihil
Nihil

Back to top Go down

Post by Ptolemy Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:03 am

well i tell you what, when you can have a civil discussion, i will discuss.

you seem frustrated so you go calm down and let me know when you are ready to be civil.
Ptolemy
Ptolemy

Back to top Go down

Post by Beaner Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:21 am

Nihil, you're just going off dude.. The whole point is. If you outlaw guns in the U.S, criminals who want to harm people will ALWAYS.. ALWAYS, find ways to get them. No matter what. Now, who would you rather be..

Scenario 1: You are at a convenience store, an armed assailant barges in and points a gun at you.. you immediate duck around aisles, you have no weapon, your only hope is that a police officer comes along and stops the criminal.. Cops do not show up soon enough, and criminal finally catches you and shoots you in the back while you attempt to flee.

Scenario 2: You are at a convenience store, an armed assailant barges in and points a gun at you.. you immediate duck into an aisle, pull out your handgun --which you have a right to carry with a CWP.. -- Cops don't show up in time.. Criminal shoots at you, you shoot back.. (You aren't just trying to flee, you are strategically moving to be able to fire as well)..

Scenario 2 has two possible outcomes.. You get lucky and kill the dude/dudette (let's not be sexist here), and you survive.. YAY!

or

Criminal gets lucky and kills you.. well.... at least you tried right?

Your chances of survival went up dramatically when you had a gun in your hand.
Beaner
Beaner

+Light/-Dark : -7

Experience Points : 6367

Back to top Go down

Post by Dray The Fingerless Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:29 am

Ptolemy wrote:well i tell you what, when you can have a civil discussion, i will discuss.

you seem frustrated so you go calm down and let me know when you are ready to be civil.

i never am civil in a debate. i find i would crush my opponents too easily if i make less mistakes. best to go in with whats in my mind and let them find the mistakes for me. also, irony that the subject of guns has led to civil and unmutable reason. and beaner is right. in a sense. i do not believe any person should get a gun, and i do believe periodic checks on people shoul dbe made. make them have the guns, but have constant reminders and checks on them.
Dray The Fingerless
Dray The Fingerless
Senate Representative

+Light/-Dark : 265

Experience Points : 26961
Comments : FIRST!

Back to top Go down

Post by Beaner Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:32 am

well no.. in order to buy a gun there is --i believe/was told-- there is a waiting period while they do background checks and the like.. Now if you have a CWP (concealed weapon permit), no wait.. but you have to get a psych check and some other tests and have to be renewing it as well.. Or so I was told by a guy who has one..
Beaner
Beaner

+Light/-Dark : -7

Experience Points : 6367

Back to top Go down

Post by Ptolemy Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:55 am

For the concealed carry; there is mandatory training , you have to have a clean record, no record of mental illness and there is a fee.

To buy a handgun, there is a back ground check and you cannot have a history of mental illness and the hand gun has to be registered.

I believe there is a background check to buy a long gun (rifle) as well. shotguns i am not sure they care about.

This will vary from state to state.
Ptolemy
Ptolemy

Back to top Go down

Post by Nihil Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:12 pm

Nihil
Nihil