Jedi vs Sith
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Enhanced sv_maxfps + damages to virtually eradicate ghosting/lag

+8
tRibaL
cheddar
Deadly Assassin
Sinusoidal
Drist
Talkin'boutFreedom
Spidey
Moneyman
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Enhanced sv_maxfps + damages to virtually eradicate ghosting/lag Empty Enhanced sv_maxfps + damages to virtually eradicate ghosting/lag

Post by Moneyman Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:43 am

Our clan(Union) got our second server up and running. I wanted to do something special for this server, so I looked all around JA+ looking for altered damages and other stuff like that.

I came across this:
http://www.japlus.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=9137#9137

I gave these settings a try, and I must say they are amazing. This virtually removes all "ghost" hits, when your saber hits somebody it actually hits them. Its basically like playing with 0 ping. We haven't had any ill effects from it, our server doesn't suffer any lag as a result(from what I've seen).

You guys should look into this.
Moneyman
Moneyman

+Light/-Dark : 1

Experience Points : 5415
Comments : "I'm not racist, I hate all people equally"

Back to top Go down

Enhanced sv_maxfps + damages to virtually eradicate ghosting/lag Empty Re: Enhanced sv_maxfps + damages to virtually eradicate ghosting/lag

Post by Spidey Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:22 am

what is the ip for your second server? i wouldn't mind trying this out
Spidey
Spidey
Jedi Approval Commitee

+Light/-Dark : 86

Experience Points : 21182
Comments : So many things to tell her,
But how to make her see?
The truth about my past, impossible
She'd turn away from me

Back to top Go down

Enhanced sv_maxfps + damages to virtually eradicate ghosting/lag Empty Re: Enhanced sv_maxfps + damages to virtually eradicate ghosting/lag

Post by Talkin'boutFreedom Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:18 am

You're gonna screw your server up, increasing the sv_fps causes servers to crash more frequently due to the added stress of the server. Along with that screwing up saber mechanics basically
Talkin'boutFreedom
Talkin'boutFreedom

+Light/-Dark : -42

Experience Points : 6723

Back to top Go down

Post by Moneyman Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:55 am

Talkin'boutFreedom wrote:You're gonna screw your server up, increasing the sv_fps causes servers to crash more frequently due to the added stress of the server. Along with that screwing up saber mechanics basically

The damages are lowered so that your saber doesn't do 5x the normal damage, and it doesn't "screw up" the saber mechanics. So far, all people have commented on is a drastic decrease in ghost hits, and far greater mid-air accuracy. As for server crashes, we haven't had any so far and we had about 9 people on it fighting with no increased lag. Although I admit we need to test it out with more people, I haven't seen any such decrease in server performance.

EDIT:

Forgot to mention, some people have suggested setting the "/snaps" to 100. It supposedly helps get rid of ghosting even more if you are on a server with increased server fps.

http://www.japlus.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1030&highlight=server+fps

5th post, I've heard it from a few people.
Moneyman
Moneyman

Back to top Go down

Post by Drist Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:58 pm

Wut, 9 people?
Drist
Drist
Sith Approval Committee

+Light/-Dark : 4

Experience Points : 6850

Back to top Go down

Post by Moneyman Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:23 pm

It was like 2 weeks ago, I was on rather early and there were a bunch if random people on. 3 padawans, 4 noobs, and 2 other people.
Moneyman
Moneyman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinusoidal Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:54 pm

the best way to remove ghosting is just to set it to base jka and restart your server every now and then, if you start messing with too many settings at once you will screw the server up, and it will be hard to restore, make sure you save a .cfg current, and then save the .cfg of the modified one, just incase you screwed it up.
Sinusoidal
Sinusoidal

+Light/-Dark : -8

Experience Points : 5598

Back to top Go down

Post by Moneyman Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:58 pm

Sinusoidal wrote:the best way to remove ghosting is just to set it to base jka and restart your server every now and then, if you start messing with too many settings at once you will screw the server up, and it will be hard to restore, make sure you save a .cfg current, and then save the .cfg of the modified one, just incase you screwed it up.

I have the defaults on back-up. The server is up and has been running just fine, there really isn't very much that is changed in the config from your standard JA+ MP. Setting the server to base/SP damage does remove ghosting a lot, but then your stuck with lame damages(IMO). Ghosting can be avoided in regular MP servers by aiming ahead of your opponent. I always aim for my attacks/movements to be one second ahead of were my opponent is.

Remember to set your /snaps to a minimum of 60, otherwise you won't notice a difference in accuracy.
Moneyman
Moneyman

Back to top Go down

Post by Deadly Assassin Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:41 pm

i did snaps 80 a long time ago XD
Deadly Assassin
Deadly Assassin

+Light/-Dark : -25

Experience Points : 7429

Back to top Go down

Post by cheddar Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:49 am

/necro

Why isn't this considered? ._.
cheddar
cheddar

Experience Points : 5385

Back to top Go down

Post by Moneyman Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:32 am

cheddar wrote:/necro

Why isn't this considered? ._.

Because people still cry "OMFG YOUR SERVER IS GONNA EXPLODE", even though they have no idea how it works. Bumping up the FPS to 60 will crash the server if:

-Your running it on a home computer from 2003
-You spawn 20 rancors, play on a poorly modded SP map, or basically do anything that would crash a normal server
-You get raped by hackers because your the United Exiles

Bumping up the FPS to 60 MAY cause the server to crash if:

-You rape your maps with GTK radiant by filling them with CPU intensive crap, which would lag any server.
-Your Jedi Pheonix and have 32 players fighting(I'm only speculating this)

Our server has been running just fine for 4 months, we have had no crashes that were even remotely related to having 60 FPS. Our server doesn't get overly populated, I'd say we had about 8 people max at once, there was no lag on the server.

Here is a picture of the Server Resource Usage for the last 30 days. This month hasn't been very active, but I've looked at the Server Usage before and it there was very little change in the readings.

Enhanced sv_maxfps + damages to virtually eradicate ghosting/lag Serverusage01

EDIT: I uploaded the wrong file, here is the real readings for the past 30 days. You'll notice that, aside from the one random spike in memory, the server was fairly consistent. I do not know if the Memory Usage is a lot higher then a normal server, but the CPU usage certainly is not.
Moneyman
Moneyman

Back to top Go down

Post by tRibaL Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:15 pm

because people prefer tradition and stable servers. and moneyman, alot of people run this game on older computers cause it CAN run on older computers and if they had a better computer they would prolly be playing better games also...
tRibaL
tRibaL

+Light/-Dark : -2

Experience Points : 9141

Back to top Go down

Post by Nihil Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:25 pm

xzavier wrote:because people prefer tradition and stable servers. and moneyman, alot of people run this game on older computers cause it CAN run on older computers and if they had a better computer they would prolly be playing better games also...

that wasn't a very good argument >.>
Nihil
Nihil

+Light/-Dark : -912

Experience Points : 12289
Comments : https://www.facebook.com/mattbcarr

Back to top Go down

Post by cheddar Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:58 pm

Can we, like, try this cfg on some server for one day? Seriously, not that I'm pro or anything, but today most of the time I'd die was because of ghost hits O_o
cheddar
cheddar

Experience Points : 5385

Back to top Go down

Post by Moneyman Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:30 am

xzavier wrote:because people prefer tradition and stable servers. and moneyman, alot of people run this game on older computers cause it CAN run on older computers and if they had a better computer they would prolly be playing better games also...

1. People who prefer tradition play Base, or Jedi Outcast, or Dark Forces 2.
2. The server is stable.
3. It doesnt matter what computer THEIR running, as long as they type /snaps 60 in their console, they can enjoy the ghost free gameplay.

This config is designed to play like standard MP damages, only without the annoying ghost hits. Wiggling becomes more exploitable on this server, but the MP velocity based damages easily counter wiggle whoring.
Moneyman
Moneyman

Back to top Go down

Post by Deadly Assassin Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:10 pm

@why

cause we get well over 20people on average every day on at the same time and that creates a fair bit of lag on its own this command would rly cause crashes (most likely)
Deadly Assassin
Deadly Assassin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nihil Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:03 am

we don't know until we try!

Nihil
Nihil

+Light/-Dark : -912

Experience Points : 12289
Comments : https://www.facebook.com/mattbcarr

Back to top Go down

Post by Moneyman Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:52 am

Nihil wrote:we don't know until we try!

^

I don't know how the server would handle 22 people, I don't know if it would be to much or to little. There is no way to find it out until 20+ people show up on a server with 60fps.

At the very least, this setting would be perfect for a duel server. If it can handle 10 people in a FFA at once then it should handle a duel just fine.
Moneyman
Moneyman

Back to top Go down

Post by Deadly Assassin Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:10 pm

Chance of being used 5%
chance of people rly not caring 95%
Deadly Assassin
Deadly Assassin

Back to top Go down

Post by Champion Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:08 pm

Seems like everyone would have to learn how to fight again.
Champion
Champion
Founder

+Light/-Dark : 415

Experience Points : 17211
Comments : Champion (n):

3. An ardent defender or supporter of a cause or another person: a champion of the righteous.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dray The Fingerless Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:17 pm

I reiterate you to what Serv said. I cannot stress to people i meet how exponential the possibility to crash a server increases as you do things as this move you are suggesting. It is common to take a cfg like this, and not only in JKA or not even only in games,and assume it works because at low rate levels it functions better. the problem is, each increase in server process, that is in this case, with each new person, the amount of server stress and usage elevates itself, making each new person cause the server usage to increase more drastically as each person joins.
Dray The Fingerless
Dray The Fingerless
Senate Representative

+Light/-Dark : 265

Experience Points : 26969
Comments : FIRST!

Back to top Go down

Post by Red-X Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:08 am

Champion wrote:Seems like everyone would have to learn how to fight again.

yeah lets not do that Neutral
Red-X
Red-X
Dark Lord of the Sith

+Light/-Dark : -47

Experience Points : 12471
Comments : "You were trusted to lead the Republic but you were decieved, as our powers over the Darkside had blinded you.

You assumed no force could challenge you and now...finally, we have returned." - Darth Malgus

Im active on XFIRE, my username is bojack2424
Im also active on STEAM, my username is solja2424

Back to top Go down

Post by Moneyman Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:17 pm

No, they would just have to adjust their aiming/timing. The config is meant to play like MP damages, but without the ghosting phenomenon.

@Dray
Until this config is actually tested on server with 20+ people, you can't say for certain that it will crash or lag the server to much. If it does lag the server with 20+, who cares? Use the config for an alternate server, such as a private or euro or duel server. Why throw away a good config because it might not work with a large number of people? How many clans do you know of where they reach 20+ people on their server?

If 60 fps is to much, then lower it. You'll remove some of the ghosting while lightening the burden on the server.
Moneyman
Moneyman

Back to top Go down

Post by Champion Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:15 pm

Moneyman wrote:

No, they would just have to adjust their aiming/timing. The config is meant to play like MP damages, but without the ghosting phenomenon..

Umm to me thats exactly what I meant. relearn how to fight. Timing/aiming is everything in that game.
Champion
Champion
Founder

+Light/-Dark : 415

Experience Points : 17211
Comments : Champion (n):

3. An ardent defender or supporter of a cause or another person: a champion of the righteous.

Back to top Go down

Post by Moneyman Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:22 pm

Champion wrote:
Moneyman wrote:

No, they would just have to adjust their aiming/timing. The config is meant to play like MP damages, but without the ghosting phenomenon..

Umm to me thats exactly what I meant. relearn how to fight. Timing/aiming is everything in that game.

Not really, timing and aiming is crucial, but technique is also important. Its not hard for me to switch from MP to Base, or to hybrid MP. Its actually very easy because all you have to do is aim normally, no need to be psychic. If you can aim fine on base, you will have no trouble here. If you can get used to aiming psychically on MP, then you have more then enough skill to switch to this.

Default MP is great, and so is SP/Base. They each have unique traits that make them stand out. This config tries to blend the best of both of them together. You get the smoothness and accuracy of Base, and you get the physics and versatility of MP.

For a change of pace, I'm going to look into some slight alterations to the config. I want to see how 40 FPS feels like compared to 60. Although there will be more ghosting, it won't be nearly as much as default MP. Plus, the physics will feel closer to default MP.
Moneyman
Moneyman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum