Jedi vs Sith
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The difference between skinning and modeling.

+6
tRibaL
Jacen
Shinobi Kenshi
Dray The Fingerless
Aardvark
Thing
10 posters

Go down

The difference between skinning and modeling. Empty The difference between skinning and modeling.

Post by Thing Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:01 am

Guys... For all you newbs out there asking for "Kento robes" and other shit you MUST understand that there is, I think, only ONE modeler in this whole clan. I'm probably wrong, but that's what I think.

Skinning is the changing of colors and/or patterns on a model already made. Like a re-skin of a reborn, or the skinning of a saber.

Modeling is a complete different thing. This requires people to make a model from SCRATCH. that means someone's gotta go into a modeling program, and build a whole new model for the game, either a person or a wepon, and from my understanding, that shit is hard.

So please, before you go asking anyone to make you something, please make sure what you want, either a skin or a model. The difference between skinning and modeling. 93989

Last edited by thing944 on Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Thing
Thing
Senator - Forum Enforcer

+Light/-Dark : 143

Experience Points : 17670
Comments : A is Atari, the first on the scene. B is Bits, be they 8 or 16. C for Controller Cords stretched ‘cross the floor. D for the Dreamcast, a console no more. E is Ecco, the porpoise-y sea hero. F is for Fantasies Final… Look, chocobos! G is for Genesis, 16-bit mirth. H is for Hyrule, land of Link’s birth. I is for Infocom’s text-based frivoloties. J is for John Carmack’s first-person novelties. K for Konami’s dark vampire tales. L for the Lemmings who march without fail. M is for Mario. Run, goombas, run! N for Nintendo, the first name is fun. O is for Oddworld, with games strage and clever. P is for Pac-Man, who caused quite a fever. Q is for Q-Bert’s curse-filled speech bubble. R is for Ridley, who gave Samus trouble. S is for Sonic, his fleet feet reknowned. T is for Tetris blocks falling in mounds. U is for Ulala’s fast, funky feet. V is for Video cards, fast obsolete. W for Wizardry; through dungeons we’d scurry. X for the Xbox, as big as Missouri. Y is for Yoshi, a plumber’s best friend. Z is for Zelda, and here this rhyme ends.
See ya in anothah life, brothah. - Desmond Hume

Back to top Go down

The difference between skinning and modeling. Empty Re: The difference between skinning and modeling.

Post by Aardvark Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:10 am

^ Epic post.

Thing's right, modelling requires coding and such and is close to the difficulty of mapping. Skinning is changing the surface of an already existing model, modelling is making something entirely new. If you want a new skin with new add-ons and a new shape, that's modelling. If you want a current skin to look different but otherwise maintain the same shape, that's skinning.
Aardvark
Aardvark
Prime Minister

+Light/-Dark : -194

Experience Points : 27014
Comments : Likes: Games, Books, Anime, Star Wars.
Dislikes: Punks, Douches, Ignorant People.

Back to top Go down

The difference between skinning and modeling. Empty Re: The difference between skinning and modeling.

Post by Dray The Fingerless Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:33 pm

meh, its not that hard....program does half the work for you.
Dray The Fingerless
Dray The Fingerless
Senate Representative

+Light/-Dark : 265

Experience Points : 26946
Comments : FIRST!

Back to top Go down

Post by Shinobi Kenshi Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:53 pm

I know how to model.
Shinobi Kenshi
Shinobi Kenshi

+Light/-Dark : 12

Experience Points : 6818

Back to top Go down

Post by Jacen Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:38 pm

thing944 wrote:Guys... For all you newbs out there asking for "Kento robes" and othe shit you MUST understand that there is, I think, only ONE modeler in this whole clan. I'm probably wrong , but that's what I think.

Skinning is the changing of colors and/or patterns on a model already made. Like a re-skin of a reborn, or the skinning of a saber.

Modeling is a complete different thing. This requires people to make a model from SCRATCH. that means someone's gotta go into a modeling program, and build a whole new model for the game, either a person or a wepon, and from my understanding, that shit is hard.

So please, before you go asking anyone to make you something, please make sure what you want, either a skin or a model. The difference between skinning and modeling. 93989

I'm asking for a reskin of JC+, a white robe. Thats it. I got confused by the redundant files in there, sooooo...thx whoever skins it. And thx for calling me a noob, of a question I didn't ask. I asked for "A reskin of a white robe."
Jacen
Jacen

+Light/-Dark : 15

Experience Points : 7106

Back to top Go down

Post by Jacen Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:39 pm

sry for double post, but...how DO u model?
Jacen
Jacen

Back to top Go down

Post by Thing Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:56 pm

I said newb, not noob...

don't put words in my mouth woman.
Thing
Thing
Senator - Forum Enforcer

Comments : A is Atari, the first on the scene. B is Bits, be they 8 or 16. C for Controller Cords stretched ‘cross the floor. D for the Dreamcast, a console no more. E is Ecco, the porpoise-y sea hero. F is for Fantasies Final… Look, chocobos! G is for Genesis, 16-bit mirth. H is for Hyrule, land of Link’s birth. I is for Infocom’s text-based frivoloties. J is for John Carmack’s first-person novelties. K for Konami’s dark vampire tales. L for the Lemmings who march without fail. M is for Mario. Run, goombas, run! N for Nintendo, the first name is fun. O is for Oddworld, with games strage and clever. P is for Pac-Man, who caused quite a fever. Q is for Q-Bert’s curse-filled speech bubble. R is for Ridley, who gave Samus trouble. S is for Sonic, his fleet feet reknowned. T is for Tetris blocks falling in mounds. U is for Ulala’s fast, funky feet. V is for Video cards, fast obsolete. W for Wizardry; through dungeons we’d scurry. X for the Xbox, as big as Missouri. Y is for Yoshi, a plumber’s best friend. Z is for Zelda, and here this rhyme ends.

Back to top Go down

Post by Thing Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:57 pm

Dray The Fingerless wrote:meh, its not that hard....program does half the work for you.

Dray, I doubt you know how really hard it is...
Thing
Thing
Senator - Forum Enforcer

Back to top Go down

Post by Dray The Fingerless Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:04 am

no, i dont model, but i doubt its harder then making a GAME....
Dray The Fingerless
Dray The Fingerless
Senate Representative

Back to top Go down

Post by Thing Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:05 am

Ohhhhhh...

You're cool. what'd you use? GameCreator?
Thing
Thing
Senator - Forum Enforcer

Back to top Go down

Post by Dray The Fingerless Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:09 am

uh...im talking about bigger games thing...not flash stuff.
Dray The Fingerless
Dray The Fingerless
Senate Representative

Back to top Go down

Post by tRibaL Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:29 am

SHINOBI CAN MODAL TOO?? SWEEET, i can modal, i just dont cause i havnt figured out how to transfer 3dsmax10 files into wahtever you guys use into wat the game uses yet... and cause i dont have the time to model much anymore..
tRibaL
tRibaL

+Light/-Dark : -2

Experience Points : 9118

Back to top Go down

Post by Jacen Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:53 pm

But shinobi, could u make me a model and skin out of Han's outfit from the book Betrayal? Cuz that would be AWESOME! so ya....thx if u can. If u need a description just pm me
Jacen
Jacen

Back to top Go down

Post by Thing Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:29 am

Dray The Fingerless wrote:no, i dont model, but i doubt its harder then making a GAME....

You make games?

What game, huh?
Thing
Thing
Senator - Forum Enforcer

Back to top Go down

Post by Nihil Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:26 am

This should clear up the difference for anyone...

this is skinning...

The difference between skinning and modeling. Droidrgba8

and THIS is modeling...

The difference between skinning and modeling. Alessandra_ambrosio_41
Nihil
Nihil

+Light/-Dark : -912

Experience Points : 12266
Comments : https://www.facebook.com/mattbcarr

Back to top Go down

Post by Disturbed Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:35 am

image fail
Disturbed
Disturbed
Forum Enforcer

+Light/-Dark : -67

Experience Points : 10448

Back to top Go down

Post by Shinobi Kenshi Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:26 pm

Yeah I do model. But I don't take requests since I have too little time for that, modeling takes months for me since I am perfectionist ... Sorry.

Post on Filefront's Forum about it, they have few modelers but someone might help you.
Shinobi Kenshi
Shinobi Kenshi

+Light/-Dark : 12

Experience Points : 6818

Back to top Go down

Post by Nihil Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:29 pm

NOOO! IMAGE FAIL!
Nihil
Nihil

+Light/-Dark : -912

Experience Points : 12266
Comments : https://www.facebook.com/mattbcarr

Back to top Go down

Post by Jacen Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:36 pm

kk thx shinobi...ill probably just download a han model off filefront and skin it...bloodstripes, dark pants, tan shirt, black vest...shud be easy
Jacen
Jacen

Back to top Go down

Post by Aureus Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:34 am

This clan likes double posts... EDIT PPL! Anyway I need a skinner to help me, should be an easy skin PM me
Aureus
Aureus
Dark Council

+Light/-Dark : 34

Experience Points : 16925
Comments : Henry David Thoreau
Our truest life is when we are in our dreams awake.

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamusar Sun May 30, 2010 10:58 am

Uhm Thing wut about saber textures replacement? I was asking you about it. Can you do it?
Shamusar
Shamusar

+Light/-Dark : 1

Experience Points : 5461

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down