Jedi vs Sith
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How the Private Market Censors the U.S Media Outlets (Important information regarding censorship)

+3
Aardvark
Dr. Patient
Nihil
7 posters

Go down

How the Private Market Censors the U.S Media Outlets (Important information regarding censorship) Empty How the Private Market Censors the U.S Media Outlets (Important information regarding censorship)

Post by Nihil Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:53 pm

Bear with me, I will type out the pages you don't have, but will also take liberty to leave out unimportant info, or compress info

By Author: Barbra Kingsolver

pages 222-235

http://books.google.com/books?id=7ISpbnkW3WoC&pg=PA222&lpg=PA222&dq=jabberwocky+barbara+kingsolver&source=bl&ots=i9Oil5dBAY&sig=OHa1JP8ssAh9OFKZIsxYctD4SxM&hl=en&ei=QSB8TKDJCsihngeL0e33AQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=5&ved=0CCcQ6AEwBA#v=onepage&q&f=false

225:

called the fire this time, a meticulously researched account of the many ways the U.S violated the geneva convention and perpetrated crimes against teh civilians in the persian gulf war. Clark, as a former U.S attorney general, had once been appointed trustee of teh nation's conscience. Now he asked us to reckon with some truly American form of Censorship: Free Enterprise in teh hands of a monkey called See No Evil. (compression) rejected by every major ney york house, 11 publishers. (/compression)

This is spooky proposition: An information industry that narros down what we'll get to read and know about, mainly on the basis of how eagerly we'll lap it up. producers and publishers who make these chioces seem inclined, if confronted, to throw up their hands and exclaim, "I Can't help it if that's what the people want!" A mother could say the same while feeding her baby nothing but jelly beans day after day; so could a physician who administers morphine for a head cold. both would be convicted of criminal neglect. why is there no hippcrati oath for professionals who service our intellects. (summarize) why do i know more aobut iceskater x (/summarize)

227-8

summarize with quotes in paranthesis, emphasis my own

"This is not to say we only get to tune in to happy news- there are wrecks and murders galore. But it's information that coroborates a certain narrow view of the world and our place in it. Exhaustive Reports of rare, bizarre behaviors among the wealthy support the myth that violent crime is a random unpreventable disaster and obscure the blunt truth that most crime is caused by poverty. There's not much in the news to remind us, either, that poverty is a problem we could decently address, as all other industrialized countries have done. The Safest marketing technique is to DISPENSE WITH HISTORICAL ANALYSIS, ACCOUNTABILITY, AND EVEN-APPARENTLY-CRITICAL THOUGHT."

(summarize) what kind of love is patriotism if it goes away in truth. artists don't always have to sell the falsehoods that always sell, they are equally guilty.(/summarize)

IMPORTANT QUOTE emphasis is mine XD

" NOW I KNOW AND THIS IS HOW I KNOW: DURING THE GULF WAR SOME YOUNG FRIENDS OF MINE WANTED TO SET PU A TABLE IN THE SHOPPING MALL AND HAND OUT INFORMATION ABOUT THE LESS CHEERFUL ASPECTS OF THE WAR. The administrators of the mall refused permission. My friends contended, "BUT YOU LET PEOPLE HAND OUT YELLOW RIBBONS AND FLAGS AND 'WE KICK BUTT' BUMPER STICKERS!" THE MALL ADMINISTRATORS EXPLAINED THEIR CHARTER FORBIDS ANYTHING POLITICAL. "HANDING OUT YELLOW RIBBONS IS PUBLIC SERVICE," THEY SAID, "BUT WHAT YOU DO IS POLITICAL."

transition to page 229

"Now you know. THis subterfuge use of the word "political," which doesn't show up in my Random House Unabridged, means only that a thing runs counter to prevailing assumptions. If"

Ok, everything else sorta raps the story up. This is an important piece of work by Barbra Kingsolver

Nihil
Nihil

+Light/-Dark : -912

Experience Points : 12285
Comments : https://www.facebook.com/mattbcarr

Back to top Go down

How the Private Market Censors the U.S Media Outlets (Important information regarding censorship) Empty Re: How the Private Market Censors the U.S Media Outlets (Important information regarding censorship)

Post by Dr. Patient Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:08 pm

Whoa!!
Dr. Patient
Dr. Patient

+Light/-Dark : 8

Experience Points : 6625

Back to top Go down

How the Private Market Censors the U.S Media Outlets (Important information regarding censorship) Empty Re: How the Private Market Censors the U.S Media Outlets (Important information regarding censorship)

Post by Aardvark Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:47 pm

Isn't new, been happening for as long as civilazation has existed. I don't agree with it, but then again, news is a bit of a courtesy, not a right guaranteed by the Constitution so they can choose what they want out there. This applies to any business not run by the government, and you can't sue the government so there's no way around this kind of thing. Best solution, learn politics, learn science, don't take what people present you as infallible, and finally, research things for yourself.
Aardvark
Aardvark
Prime Minister

+Light/-Dark : -194

Experience Points : 27033
Comments : Likes: Games, Books, Anime, Star Wars.
Dislikes: Punks, Douches, Ignorant People.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nihil Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:57 pm

well, what do you type to learn about imposed dictators in foreign countries, such as Chile?

Its not like one can feasibly learn how to get new sources that doesn't play to the mass audience. Thats how the media makes its money.

Personally, I would like all barriers to the media lowered and a change in culture, because, the culture, is the problem, I think. One of contentment. In her book, Animal Dreams, the sister of the protagonist goes off to nicaragua to help the farmers displaced because of the U.S imposing a dictator instead of a democratically elected president, in a coup or assassination, while there, she dies and there is no news about how the U.S helped kill this U.S citizen. Her sister, Hali, also likes to say that the U.S is a nation that forgets, we never remember our atrocities.
Nihil
Nihil

Back to top Go down

Post by Aardvark Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:02 am

I would like uncensored news too, but it's reality, such things will never happen. As for getting information, you just have to know where to look, and you're right, sometimes it is impossible to decipher the truth, but if you can't find any raw information, then you've got bigger problems then just crooked news broadcasts.
Aardvark
Aardvark
Prime Minister

Back to top Go down

Post by Aureus Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:03 am

Document it urself and u'll get the the real shit
Aureus
Aureus
Dark Council

+Light/-Dark : 34

Experience Points : 16944
Comments : Henry David Thoreau
Our truest life is when we are in our dreams awake.

Back to top Go down

Post by Aardvark Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:10 am

And how can you document it yourself? Do you plan on being at every single political and media event in history? Any other source is filtered through the media, or worse through idiots.
Aardvark
Aardvark
Prime Minister

Back to top Go down

Post by Aureus Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:13 am

I don't mean 100% of that nor the history. I mean a certain topic right now. It's a pretty narrow view but it's one of the few ways
Aureus
Aureus
Dark Council

+Light/-Dark : 34

Experience Points : 16944
Comments : Henry David Thoreau
Our truest life is when we are in our dreams awake.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dray The Fingerless Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:20 am

Each human being has a unique vision of the universe. Influence of certain common factors is key for complete domination. Elimination of uniqueness leads to zombification and militarisation. Complain all you want, but i see tons of people in the US discussing and arguing about everything. You are not so zombified or lied to as you say. NEVER have i seen a country yell and insult and argue amongst themselves so fucking much(You are really annoying people). I guess that whole baby bottle, golden crattle lifestyle does this. Certainly there are things you dont know , that the big boys hide but...i dunno what you want Nihil, if you think because you live in the age of information, that humans can somehow stop, or at least, be less corrupt, lying, manipulative, opressing creatures....you are wrong. It wont by any means stop or even slow down. The more you complain, the more deceiving they become. And no matter how loud you are, they are louder.
Dray The Fingerless
Dray The Fingerless
Senate Representative

+Light/-Dark : 265

Experience Points : 26965
Comments : FIRST!

Back to top Go down

Post by Nihil Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:55 am

Dray The Fingerless wrote:Each human being has a unique vision of the universe. Influence of certain common factors is key for complete domination. Elimination of uniqueness leads to zombification and militarisation. Complain all you want, but i see tons of people in the US discussing and arguing about everything. You are not so zombified or lied to as you say. NEVER have i seen a country yell and insult and argue amongst themselves so fucking much(You are really annoying people). I guess that whole baby bottle, golden crattle lifestyle does this. Certainly there are things you dont know , that the big boys hide but...i dunno what you want Nihil, if you think because you live in the age of information, that humans can somehow stop, or at least, be less corrupt, lying, manipulative, opressing creatures....you are wrong. It wont by any means stop or even slow down. The more you complain, the more deceiving they become. And no matter how loud you are, they are louder.

What I'm complaining about, Dray, is not the right to individuality. Its just that the media provides what we want, not what is relevant.

besides whats with the hostility?

I guess that whole baby bottle, golden crattle lifestyle does this. Certainly there are things you dont know , that the big boys hide but...i dunno what you want Nihil, if you think because you live in the age of information, that humans can somehow stop, or at least, be less corrupt, lying, manipulative, opressing creatures....you are wrong. It wont by any means stop or even slow down. The more you complain, the more deceiving they become. And no matter how loud you are, they are louder.

I would think that, with more information, that things get out easier, which it does, in fact, because there are more people, more digging, and, a mixed blessing, more hackers.

I'm just embittered about our culture and how we are trapped in a vicious cycle of forgetting. Didn't you read the article? She says that in Spain she read all about what the AMERICAN newspapers wouldn't report.

Its a cultural thang yo.
Nihil
Nihil

Back to top Go down

Post by Dray The Fingerless Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:15 am

And i bet that if you go to Greece or Spain, their newspapers and news journals arent advertising the economical 'crisis' in their countries as much as the rest of the world is making it. Of course, in America, the level of idiocy and unprofessional journalism takes this censorship to another level, above any other country, but thats the price of freedom and opportunity.

Also, you ARE complaining about individuality. The minute media starts playing what WE want, instead of what I want, it is simply zombifying and mass marketing people, that is, offering freely and substantially the most common subject in people, and opressing any other subject that is the slightest bit more restrict. Basically, teaching to ALL what SOME or MOST like. if you apply this formula to ALL sorts of events, the COMMON view, becomes the ALMIGHTY view, eliminating even more individuality from the population, wich already had very little to begin with.
So yes, you are complaining about the right of individuality, since you want objective fact presentation, giving back to the people the ability to individually judge whats presented to them. To do it right, the news need to show the broadest array of views in a subject possible, instead of focusing in only one. There is one reason Fox News is the epithomy of unprofessional journalism and giant circus, it takes a position. The minute you take a position, you are no longer a journaist. At least when it comes to reporting the facts. Each person should take a position, but they shouldnt reiterate it to how they show facts.
Dray The Fingerless
Dray The Fingerless
Senate Representative

Back to top Go down

Post by Nihil Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:20 am

ACtually, we stopped talking about Greece like, 2 weeks after it happened.

I'm also not talking about views, I'm talking about presenting news that is important, not about the ice skater who broke her leg.

There needs to be a sense of responsibility, read teh article dray. Why do all doctors take the Hippocratic oath?

You are, essentially, confusing me, because, I don't think we have any qualms, I want people to report the news, but to have a sense of responsibility about it. That is, report things that people don't want to hear, about how we killed an Afghan girl of 16, or how we killed 100 innocent Afghani. Or how about the military interest in Chile in that coup that no one reported?
Nihil
Nihil

Back to top Go down

Post by Moneyman Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:43 am

Nihil wrote:ACtually, we stopped talking about Greece like, 2 weeks after it happened.

I'm also not talking about views, I'm talking about presenting news that is important, not about the ice skater who broke her leg.

There needs to be a sense of responsibility, read teh article dray. Why do all doctors take the Hippocratic oath?

You are, essentially, confusing me, because, I don't think we have any qualms, I want people to report the news, but to have a sense of responsibility about it. That is, report things that people don't want to hear, about how we killed an Afghan girl of 16, or how we killed 100 innocent Afghani. Or how about the military interest in Chile in that coup that no one reported?

Journalism is a business, they gives us what they think we want. The fact of the matter is, people are self-centered idiots who don't care about coups in Chile or murders in Afghani. If they started reporting the things that actually mattered, people would bitch and complain or just not watch the news. All people want to hear is things that effect them or that they might find remotely interesting. Thats why I don't watch the news, because I'm not going to hear about the horrors that are actually happening in other parts of the world. All I'm going to hear about is Obama getting a new hair cut.

Besides, even if the government didn't censor media, media outlets will still twist or dramatize what really happened in order to attract people. Seriously, never ever trust anything you hear about on the news, just look at the H1N1 scare. You can thank the paranoid ill-informed masses for fucking up Canada's health system even more. I hope everyone that stood in a line for those vaccination catches a flu.

I guess what I mean to say is, complaining about how the government runs things won't help, the government is screwed up because the people made it screwed up. You can't fix the stupidity of the masses, but you can make fun of them and laugh when their stupidity bites them in the ass.

Oh and this doesn't apply just to the US, the rest of the world is just as stupid(I'm a misanthropic ass, as you can see.) Very Happy
Moneyman
Moneyman

+Light/-Dark : 1

Experience Points : 5411
Comments : "I'm not racist, I hate all people equally"

Back to top Go down

Post by Dray The Fingerless Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:45 am

That is becoming objective and bringing back the individual retrospect and judgement to people. Right now they are playing what people wanna hear, therefore removing part of what people need to know to be a fully informed individual, given the parameters. When you are cut off from info, you become altered and manipulated.

Also Nihil, i forgot to mention that America is unique when it comes to foreign issues, in that it absolutely does NOT care about them, and will NEVER speak of them. Out here, we talk about other countries regularly, no sugar coating either. hardcore factuality. It happens. Accept it.
Dray The Fingerless
Dray The Fingerless
Senate Representative

Back to top Go down

Post by Nihil Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:48 pm

Dray The Fingerless wrote:That is becoming objective and bringing back the individual retrospect and judgement to people. Right now they are playing what people wanna hear, therefore removing part of what people need to know to be a fully informed individual, given the parameters. When you are cut off from info, you become altered and manipulated.

Also Nihil, i forgot to mention that America is unique when it comes to foreign issues, in that it absolutely does NOT care about them, and will NEVER speak of them. Out here, we talk about other countries regularly, no sugar coating either. hardcore factuality. It happens. Accept it.

ya, so we are agreeing, the U.S has a horrible media network?
Nihil
Nihil

Back to top Go down

Post by Dray The Fingerless Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:04 pm

OH, most definitly. I mean, the very concept of media is that of mass marketing ideals, but you americos take it to a WHOLE different level....
Dray The Fingerless
Dray The Fingerless
Senate Representative

Back to top Go down

Post by Nihil Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:23 pm

ya, that would be us!

Go back to sleep America! As long as it isn't your government making lies, then you are happy!
Nihil
Nihil

Back to top Go down

Post by Moneyman Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:11 pm

Nihil wrote:

Indeed, I posted in this thread soley to complain about crappy news reports in the U.S(and Canada).

How the Private Market Censors the U.S Media Outlets (Important information regarding censorship) Orly-43441
Moneyman
Moneyman

+Light/-Dark : 1

Experience Points : 5411
Comments : "I'm not racist, I hate all people equally"

Back to top Go down

Post by Ptolemy Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:29 pm

Moneyman wrote:
Nihil wrote:

Indeed, I posted in this thread soley to complain about crappy news reports in the U.S(and Canada).

How the Private Market Censors the U.S Media Outlets (Important information regarding censorship) Orly-43441

There obviously in nothing about America that Nihil likes Razz
Ptolemy
Ptolemy
Chancellor - Masters Council

+Light/-Dark : 95

Experience Points : 15879
Comments : How the Private Market Censors the U.S Media Outlets (Important information regarding censorship) Bear_wrestling

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down