Jedi vs Sith
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Accidently partially installed XP on my laptop when I already have 7

3 posters

Go down

Accidently partially installed XP on my laptop when I already have 7 Empty Accidently partially installed XP on my laptop when I already have 7

Post by Red-X Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:19 pm

Should have asked about this way sooner. In my Operating Systems class last semester we were testing out virtual machines using flash drives. One of our assignments involved installing an Operating System on the flashdrive for the virtual machine. Well I did it very wrong. Instead of installing the OS on the flashdrive, I began installing it on my laptop. Well I halted it and now I don't know how to take it off. When I restart my computer, instead of simply booting up W7, It sends me to this blank screen with an option of starting up XP or W7. If I don't come back to the screen in time, or don't make a selection, my computer goes into BSoD.

Another side note: I did not use a disk to install XP. We were given this site on our school campus that allows us to use trial software for the system, so we could get access to free OS's.
Red-X
Red-X
Dark Lord of the Sith

+Light/-Dark : -47

Experience Points : 12419
Comments : "You were trusted to lead the Republic but you were decieved, as our powers over the Darkside had blinded you.

You assumed no force could challenge you and now...finally, we have returned." - Darth Malgus

Im active on XFIRE, my username is bojack2424
Im also active on STEAM, my username is solja2424

Back to top Go down

Accidently partially installed XP on my laptop when I already have 7 Empty Re: Accidently partially installed XP on my laptop when I already have 7

Post by Aardvark Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:44 pm

Whatever you used to launch the program, if you launch it again it should give you the option to uninstall. If it doesn't I'd suggest burning a UBCD(google it) and using it to uninstall the OS.
Aardvark
Aardvark
Prime Minister

+Light/-Dark : -194

Experience Points : 26985
Comments : Likes: Games, Books, Anime, Star Wars.
Dislikes: Punks, Douches, Ignorant People.

Back to top Go down

Accidently partially installed XP on my laptop when I already have 7 Empty Re: Accidently partially installed XP on my laptop when I already have 7

Post by Red-X Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:56 pm

I just tried to go to the set up window. it began to load, then I blue screened. I went to my virtual machine to see if it would work on my flashdrive and it worked perfectly. :\ weird

i'll look at the ubcd thing
Red-X
Red-X
Dark Lord of the Sith

Comments : "You were trusted to lead the Republic but you were decieved, as our powers over the Darkside had blinded you.

You assumed no force could challenge you and now...finally, we have returned." - Darth Malgus

Back to top Go down

Post by Red-X Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:35 pm

well since i don't have any blank CD's this will have to wait
Red-X
Red-X
Dark Lord of the Sith

Back to top Go down

Post by Aardvark Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:24 am

If you partitioned the drive first then you can simply format the partition in the command prompt when you boot, though you should back-up the system first.
Aardvark
Aardvark
Prime Minister

+Light/-Dark : -194

Experience Points : 26985
Comments : Likes: Games, Books, Anime, Star Wars.
Dislikes: Punks, Douches, Ignorant People.

Back to top Go down

Post by Red-X Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:45 am

which i have zero experience doing
Red-X
Red-X
Dark Lord of the Sith

Back to top Go down

Post by Dray The Fingerless Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:36 pm

format c: or whatever drive you put XP in.

-__-

also, really stupid move red. if you dont have partitioned, wich you must have if your pc lets you choose between the 2, then you would have to format the whole thing.

also, i cannot believe they have a fucking university class where they teach you to install an OS. OH AMERICA.
Dray The Fingerless
Dray The Fingerless
Senate Representative

+Light/-Dark : 265

Experience Points : 26917
Comments : FIRST!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down