PSN Is Down.. Possible Hack?

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

PSN Is Down.. Possible Hack?

Post by Sqrl on Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:51 am

So if you have been living under a rock or just don't give a damn, PSN (PlayStation Network) has been down for 5 days...

Article From G4tv.com

Mostly states what has happened recently.

Thoughts?

_________________






Aardvark wrote:
Gave me a boner, but then again my penis doesn't discriminate between real and fake tittys.


Max Rambone wrote:
Play with honor, admin with honor, speak with honor.
avatar
Sqrl

Join date : 2009-10-21
+Light/-Dark : -674
Posts : 4462

Experience Points : 10868
Location : A Location Somewhere In Pennsylvania.
Comments : Soul Stealer, Breath Taker, Ecstasy Extraordinaire.

Back to top Go down

Re: PSN Is Down.. Possible Hack?

Post by Dray The Fingerless on Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:55 am

Actually, it was hacked and user data was compromised.

_________________

"Life and power should be logarithmic"

avatar
Dray The Fingerless
Senate Representative

Join date : 2009-10-21
+Light/-Dark : 265
Posts : 10355

Experience Points : 24542
Location : your FACE is a location.
Comments : FIRST!

Back to top Go down

Re: PSN Is Down.. Possible Hack?

Post by Red-X on Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:13 am

was totally aboutz to post this :|

_________________
"To be a Sith is to taste Freedom and to know Victory..."


dandaman7 wrote:Yea, you see it on the news all the time: 'Guy gets mugged for Jedi Order symbol by possible Sith'
avatar
Red-X
Dark Lord of the Sith

Join date : 2010-07-26
+Light/-Dark : -47
Posts : 3732

Experience Points : 10042
Location : in meh head :D
Comments : "You were trusted to lead the Republic but you were decieved, as our powers over the Darkside had blinded you.

You assumed no force could challenge you and now...finally, we have returned." - Darth Malgus

Im active on XFIRE, my username is bojack2424
Im also active on STEAM, my username is solja2424

Back to top Go down

Re: PSN Is Down.. Possible Hack?

Post by Aureus on Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:58 am

its funny cuz PSN sucks.


Laggy net

Tons of Hacks

and obv, no security

_________________
“Beware the barrenness of a busy life.”
~ Socrates





avatar
Aureus
Dark Council

Join date : 2010-01-22
+Light/-Dark : 34
Posts : 6805

Experience Points : 14521
Location : Eating a Dead Mau5
Comments : Henry David Thoreau
Our truest life is when we are in our dreams awake.

Back to top Go down

Re: PSN Is Down.. Possible Hack?

Post by Dr. Patient on Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:02 am

http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/gx6o4/im_a_moderator_over_at_psxscenecom_the_real/
avatar
Dr. Patient

Join date : 2010-04-05
+Light/-Dark : 8
Posts : 763

Experience Points : 4202
Location : Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory

Back to top Go down

Re: PSN Is Down.. Possible Hack?

Post by Aardvark on Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:11 am

6-7 days(depending on when you read this post) actually went down on the 20th. And yeah this has been all over the place, they're rebuilding the entire PSN from the ground up because of this. They knew personal information was compromised the minute they knew it was an external threat and they didn't tell anyone to watch their credit for over 4 days. Anonymous didn't do it, which is too bad it would have given me even more reason to like them, so Sony got their asses handed to them by what is likely a small group or even a single hacker.

_________________

Thanks to Dr.Rabbit for the epic sig ^.^

Current rank:




Previous ranks:












avatar
Aardvark
Prime Minister

Join date : 2009-10-21
+Light/-Dark : -194
Posts : 8522

Experience Points : 24610
Location : Maryland, U.S.A.
Comments : Likes: Games, Books, Anime, Star Wars.
Dislikes: Punks, Douches, Ignorant People.

Back to top Go down

Re: PSN Is Down.. Possible Hack?

Post by CaptainSpanish on Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:40 am


_________________
I think Muigi is a pretty cool guy. Eh likes loli and doesn't afraid of anything

-Peppa
avatar
CaptainSpanish
Dark Lord of the Sith

Join date : 2009-10-23
+Light/-Dark : -49
Posts : 1021

Experience Points : 4825
Location : Pirate ship

Back to top Go down

Re: PSN Is Down.. Possible Hack?

Post by haize on Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:14 am

I heard it was a 19 year old kid who is getting sued over a MW2 hacked lobby, so he was stealing peoples info and trying to shut down the PSN to get back at sony...

_________________
- Fuck it !

avatar
haize
Masters Council

Join date : 2009-10-23
+Light/-Dark : 19
Posts : 1939

Experience Points : 9946
Location : New Jersey ( its nothing like Jersey Shore)

Back to top Go down

Re: PSN Is Down.. Possible Hack?

Post by Dray The Fingerless on Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:04 pm

lol haize, cool story bro.


They didnt warn cause they have no reason to believe that any data was actually stolen.

Thing is, they fucked up, realized they had left an opening that hackers can use, and immediatly shut down the network to prevent any hack events.

Also, PSN doesnt suck Cog, Its been out for 5 years now and only NOW has it been hacked, and you know WHY it got hacked? Cause they launched a mod to give your console dev abilities. In fact, i dare you to tell me a network like it that is better(steam doesnt count, it has PC pedigree).

_________________

"Life and power should be logarithmic"

avatar
Dray The Fingerless
Senate Representative

Join date : 2009-10-21
+Light/-Dark : 265
Posts : 10355

Experience Points : 24542
Location : your FACE is a location.
Comments : FIRST!

Back to top Go down

Re: PSN Is Down.. Possible Hack?

Post by haize on Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:53 pm

Dray The Fingerless wrote:

Also, PSN doesnt suck Cog, Its been out for 5 years now and only NOW has it been hacked, and you know WHY it got hacked? Cause they launched a mod to give your console dev abilities. In fact, i dare you to tell me a network like it that is better(steam doesnt count, it has PC pedigree).


your statement is false, PS3 has shut down 2-3 other times because it was hacked by ''anonymous'' once last year that I know of Im not trying to rip on the PS3 I really don't care, all im saying is this never happened with the 360 and its been up for 6 years...

_________________
- Fuck it !

avatar
haize
Masters Council

Join date : 2009-10-23
+Light/-Dark : 19
Posts : 1939

Experience Points : 9946
Location : New Jersey ( its nothing like Jersey Shore)

Back to top Go down

Re: PSN Is Down.. Possible Hack?

Post by CaptainSpanish on Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:56 pm

xbox lives have also been hacked and have worse hardware issues. Edge goes to PS3

My xbox 360 elite barely lasted 2 years with not a lot of play tbh before it broke down a few weeks ago...probably due to the xbox's lack of a heat sink. Comparatively, I played my N64 a lot more over the years and it has stayed with me since I was 6 years old. PS3s last about 5-6 years.

Xbox 360 people are probably laughing about the events here, but the xbox live accounts are also subject to problems such as this.

_________________
I think Muigi is a pretty cool guy. Eh likes loli and doesn't afraid of anything

-Peppa
avatar
CaptainSpanish
Dark Lord of the Sith

Join date : 2009-10-23
+Light/-Dark : -49
Posts : 1021

Experience Points : 4825
Location : Pirate ship

Back to top Go down

Re: PSN Is Down.. Possible Hack?

Post by Aardvark on Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:23 pm

Dray there are only two reasons to hack: 1. To prove you can/ prove someone can't stop you, at which point someone comes forth and claims responsibility. And 2. To get information for personal gain. When no one claimed responsibility after 24 hours it should have been obvious that people's accounts were in danger.

And Span, I've had a 360 for 6 years, no problems, have a friend with PS3 had to send it to the shop twice, your argument is invalid.

_________________

Thanks to Dr.Rabbit for the epic sig ^.^

Current rank:




Previous ranks:












avatar
Aardvark
Prime Minister

Join date : 2009-10-21
+Light/-Dark : -194
Posts : 8522

Experience Points : 24610
Location : Maryland, U.S.A.
Comments : Likes: Games, Books, Anime, Star Wars.
Dislikes: Punks, Douches, Ignorant People.

Back to top Go down

Re: PSN Is Down.. Possible Hack?

Post by Aragorn on Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:33 pm

The argument isn't invalid, just differing. It shows the fickleness of both products and can also speak to how it's treated from person to person. This is kind of comical though. I never got the hacking to prove you can do it. Who cares?

_________________

~Current rank~




~Previous ranks~



avatar
Aragorn
Grand Master of the Jedi Order

Join date : 2009-10-21
+Light/-Dark : -79
Posts : 3282

Experience Points : 9641
Location : a book pertaining to some academic subject
Comments : Invincibility lies in the defence; the possibility of victory in the attack. ~ Sun Tzu

Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat. ~ Sun Tzu

Back to top Go down

Re: PSN Is Down.. Possible Hack?

Post by soran on Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:47 pm

my friend has the first version of the ps3 and he has it running all the time and it runs awesomely. and before that his ps2 was a beast at running for long periods of time. my other friend has sent in 3 xbox's and is now having trouble with the current one he has now

_________________






R.I.P mia <3 05/05/10
avatar
soran

Join date : 2010-01-20
+Light/-Dark : 18
Posts : 3740

Experience Points : 9644
Location : owning cog every time he speaks

Back to top Go down

Re: PSN Is Down.. Possible Hack?

Post by haize on Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:08 pm

well i have had an xbox and a ps3, i hated the ps3 so i sold it. I just got the new xbox slim and it has no over heating problems or anything like that. Its just personal preference, and luck of the draw when it comes to systems breaking and what not.

Remember video games are a huge market and make lots of money for both Sony and Microsoft, they aren't going to make systems that last forever or else no one would bother buying a new one they make them to last only a certain amount of time on purpose imo.... now im not saying they are selling us junk but it is rumored that xbox and ps3 both have ways to be shut off completely remotely at Microsoft and Sony im not sure how true that is but I wouldn't put it past either company.

_________________
- Fuck it !

avatar
haize
Masters Council

Join date : 2009-10-23
+Light/-Dark : 19
Posts : 1939

Experience Points : 9946
Location : New Jersey ( its nothing like Jersey Shore)

Back to top Go down

Re: PSN Is Down.. Possible Hack?

Post by Dray The Fingerless on Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:23 pm

Uhm, you clearly dont read your news well Aard. There have been no people to step up to admit it for various reasons.

1. It wasnt hacked for sure. Tell me where it says it was hacked. The PSN was brought down by SONY to PREVENT hacking of a system that was with a security critical flaw. Sony made a disclaimer to customers because they FOUND this flaw and shut it down, but they have not yet found any evidence that this flaw was used in the week span that it was available. It is a possibility, albeit small, that the servers were infact, breached by foreign hackers.

2.Au contrair of what GeoHot did with his PS3, THIS is a crime, and will get you in jail FOR SURE, as well has having millions of people hating your guts.

Ara, its called technical savvy. Its a puzzle they want to find the solution to. I have it too, i just dont have the time or patience that hackers do when it comes to a challenge like this. Most hacking is done by trial and error anyway, so its kinda meh for me.

Haize, where do i start.

The PSN was never hacked, ever until now. One big reason is that Sony writes and makes its stuff in alien language. It all comes down to 1 and 0s in the end thou, but still, deciphering is a lot harder when they use methods you are not accostumed to, in contrair to Microsoft wich is basically code and hacking 101.

NOW, if you wanna talk about the consoles themselves, yes, those were both hijacked. There were 360 hacks almost at day one, but it took 6 months after the PS3 was released, for any good rigging to come out.

Both the Xbox and the PS3 have security systems taht shut down your console if they find pirated or unlicensed material in it, or if you mod it. I have friends with Xboxs who have fried their consoles cause they chipped them(aka, rigged them to run unlicensed or pirated games) and they accidentally connected the xbox online and puff. So thats not a rumor, thats actually in your disclosure when you buy the console.

Oh and, XBLA is a joke. its been hacked before, albeit not the direct servers like with the PSN now. The reason these systems cant be hacked permanently is because of routine updates.

What happened here was a security breach on Sony's own servers.

Oh also, PSN never shutdown because of this, instead it was to update and prevent hackers from being able to be online with their rigged consoles. All these events happened this last month.

_________________

"Life and power should be logarithmic"

avatar
Dray The Fingerless
Senate Representative

Join date : 2009-10-21
+Light/-Dark : 265
Posts : 10355

Experience Points : 24542
Location : your FACE is a location.
Comments : FIRST!

Back to top Go down

Re: PSN Is Down.. Possible Hack?

Post by haize on Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:42 pm

right dray they shut it down to ''update'' if you believe everything that a company says than the PS3 wasn't hacked and is shut down for ''updating there system'' and xbox has fixed the RROD problem...

and I know they have security systems that shut it down if you mod your system, thats not what I was talking about im talking about they can shut your system down at whim whenever they want without reason.

_________________
- Fuck it !

avatar
haize
Masters Council

Join date : 2009-10-23
+Light/-Dark : 19
Posts : 1939

Experience Points : 9946
Location : New Jersey ( its nothing like Jersey Shore)

Back to top Go down

Re: PSN Is Down.. Possible Hack?

Post by Aardvark on Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:10 pm

Actually Dray that's a rumor, I can cite at least three instances where Sony says it was brought down by "external forces". Yes both consoles go down which does mean span's argument of "PS3 is so much more stable" is invalid as in my experience the PS3 is much more fucked up more often.

_________________

Thanks to Dr.Rabbit for the epic sig ^.^

Current rank:




Previous ranks:












avatar
Aardvark
Prime Minister

Join date : 2009-10-21
+Light/-Dark : -194
Posts : 8522

Experience Points : 24610
Location : Maryland, U.S.A.
Comments : Likes: Games, Books, Anime, Star Wars.
Dislikes: Punks, Douches, Ignorant People.

Back to top Go down

Re: PSN Is Down.. Possible Hack?

Post by Sqrl on Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:13 pm

doesn't really matter which console is better and more 'stable' it's the fact that Sony was hacked and left themselves open to said hack that gets me.

_________________






Aardvark wrote:
Gave me a boner, but then again my penis doesn't discriminate between real and fake tittys.


Max Rambone wrote:
Play with honor, admin with honor, speak with honor.
avatar
Sqrl

Join date : 2009-10-21
+Light/-Dark : -674
Posts : 4462

Experience Points : 10868
Location : A Location Somewhere In Pennsylvania.
Comments : Soul Stealer, Breath Taker, Ecstasy Extraordinaire.

Back to top Go down

Re: PSN Is Down.. Possible Hack?

Post by Aardvark on Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:16 pm

I expect them to get hacked, no it's ridiculous because it's paralyzed them for a WEEK. And EVERY PSN shopper is subject to fraudulent credit charges.

_________________

Thanks to Dr.Rabbit for the epic sig ^.^

Current rank:




Previous ranks:












avatar
Aardvark
Prime Minister

Join date : 2009-10-21
+Light/-Dark : -194
Posts : 8522

Experience Points : 24610
Location : Maryland, U.S.A.
Comments : Likes: Games, Books, Anime, Star Wars.
Dislikes: Punks, Douches, Ignorant People.

Back to top Go down

Re: PSN Is Down.. Possible Hack?

Post by Ptolemy on Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:19 pm

http://www.techtree.com/India/News/PSN_Hacked_Credit_Card_Data_may_be_Compromised/551-115140-585.html

http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/712097/psn-down-due-to-external-intrusion-says-sony/index.html

http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/psn-outage-sony-confirms-personal-data-compromise-948108

How many more do you want Dray?

_________________

Life is hard... Its even harder when you are stupid...
John Wayne








avatar
Ptolemy
Chancellor - Masters Council

Join date : 2009-10-22
+Light/-Dark : 95
Posts : 4647

Experience Points : 13454
Location : MN
Comments :

Back to top Go down

Re: PSN Is Down.. Possible Hack?

Post by soran on Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:26 pm

15 MORE PTOL! CHOP CHOP!!!

_________________






R.I.P mia <3 05/05/10
avatar
soran

Join date : 2010-01-20
+Light/-Dark : 18
Posts : 3740

Experience Points : 9644
Location : owning cog every time he speaks

Back to top Go down

Re: PSN Is Down.. Possible Hack?

Post by Camus on Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:43 pm

It was hacked. And I've had the same ps3 since 2006 and haven't had a problem with it. I'm not claiming it's better; it' s just what I have.

_________________


Former Jedi Ranks:







Achievements:

avatar
Camus
Forum Enforcer

Join date : 2009-10-22
+Light/-Dark : 40
Posts : 2502

Experience Points : 9711
Location : You wish.

Back to top Go down

Re: PSN Is Down.. Possible Hack?

Post by Dray The Fingerless on Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:01 pm

Ptolemy wrote:http://www.techtree.com/India/News/PSN_Hacked_Credit_Card_Data_may_be_Compromised/551-115140-585.html

http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/712097/psn-down-due-to-external-intrusion-says-sony/index.html

http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/psn-outage-sony-confirms-personal-data-compromise-948108

How many more do you want Dray?

Compromise means that the data servers were vulnerable, but those were no evidence of access. There was hacking to permit certain PS3s to come back online due to that auto shut down i said before. Then, the people at Sony realized that this hacking, wich was being developed FOR this reason exclusively, actualy allowed the user data to be accessed as well. That is to say, that it was possible in the span of the week that this happened, to access user data servers thru this hack, but its very unlikely, since none of the parties involved in it were even looking for that. I am not saying it was not vulnerable, but its just a slim odd that someone had first the idea, then the time and resources to actually think to do it in the week that this happened. T

There is no evidence that user data was hacked into. Rather, that it was left opened for an amount of time. And hopefully, and most likely, unnoticed as well.

I am not excusing this event, this comes from a very naive development clearly, you should always make sure user data is unnaccessible thru these means. They trusted on the alienage of the PSN too much. I am just saying, the news like to overreact and Sony likes to overwarn its customers rather than being accused of being reckless.


Oh and, consoles suck. Making me play subpar graphics and physics.

_________________

"Life and power should be logarithmic"

avatar
Dray The Fingerless
Senate Representative

Join date : 2009-10-21
+Light/-Dark : 265
Posts : 10355

Experience Points : 24542
Location : your FACE is a location.
Comments : FIRST!

Back to top Go down

Re: PSN Is Down.. Possible Hack?

Post by Ptolemy on Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:06 pm

Dray The Fingerless wrote:
Ptolemy wrote:http://www.techtree.com/India/News/PSN_Hacked_Credit_Card_Data_may_be_Compromised/551-115140-585.html

http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/712097/psn-down-due-to-external-intrusion-says-sony/index.html

http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/psn-outage-sony-confirms-personal-data-compromise-948108

How many more do you want Dray?

Compromise means that the data servers were vulnerable, but those were no evidence of access. There was hacking to permit certain PS3s to come back online due to that auto shut down i said before. Then, the people at Sony realized that this hacking, wich was being developed FOR this reason exclusively, actualy allowed the user data to be accessed as well. That is to say, that it was possible in the span of the week that this happened, to access user data servers thru this hack, but its very unlikely, since none of the parties involved in it were even looking for that. I am not saying it was not vulnerable, but its just a slim odd that someone had first the idea, then the time and resources to actually think to do it in the week that this happened. T

There is no evidence that user data was hacked into. Rather, that it was left opened for an amount of time. And hopefully, and most likely, unnoticed as well.

I am not excusing this event, this comes from a very naive development clearly, you should always make sure user data is unnaccessible thru these means. They trusted on the alienage of the PSN too much. I am just saying, the news like to overreact and Sony likes to overwarn its customers rather than being accused of being reckless.


Oh and, consoles suck. Making me play subpar graphics and physics.

yes dray you are right OF COURSE YOU ARE RIGHT why would i EVER argue with you dray you are so much WISER and Knowledgeable than i am in my 20+ years in the IT industry and 40+ years just being on the friggin planet. I am so very sorry Dray i will try not to argue with you again dray please dray forgive me i pray you....

_________________

Life is hard... Its even harder when you are stupid...
John Wayne








avatar
Ptolemy
Chancellor - Masters Council

Join date : 2009-10-22
+Light/-Dark : 95
Posts : 4647

Experience Points : 13454
Location : MN
Comments :

Back to top Go down

Re: PSN Is Down.. Possible Hack?

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum