Jedi vs Sith
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gun Laws

+10
Nihil
Champion
Aardvark
LoneStar
Bulldog
Spidey
Talkin'boutFreedom
Dray The Fingerless
Ptolemy
Khensu Meridius
14 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Gun Laws Empty Gun Laws

Post by Khensu Meridius Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:22 am

Just wondering what you all thought about gun laws in our fine country. It seems gun laws have come a long way in the last 20 years, and I am very thankful for those who have been there to fight for and protect our second amendment rights. I myself, am an avid firearm enthusiast. Actually, a really like weapons in general, for many reasons lol. I own two firearms, and want many, many more if only I could afford them! Rolling Eyes anyway, just wonder what you guys think, considering some recent events involving firearms have really been fueling the media's fire on this topic lately. Gun Laws 349920

Khensu Meridius

+Light/-Dark : 0

Experience Points : 4840

Back to top Go down

Gun Laws Empty Re: Gun Laws

Post by Ptolemy Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:29 am

*looks @ watch and waits for Nihil
Ptolemy
Ptolemy
Chancellor - Masters Council

+Light/-Dark : 95

Experience Points : 15832
Comments : Gun Laws Bear_wrestling

Back to top Go down

Post by Dray The Fingerless Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:42 am

Always found bullets so rudimentary...why cant we develop sth less crude.
Dray The Fingerless
Dray The Fingerless
Senate Representative

+Light/-Dark : 265

Experience Points : 26918
Comments : FIRST!

Back to top Go down

Post by Ptolemy Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:44 am

like swords? or nuclear weapons.
Ptolemy
Ptolemy

Back to top Go down

Post by Talkin'boutFreedom Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:04 am

Personally I'd like some tomahawks
Talkin'boutFreedom
Talkin'boutFreedom

+Light/-Dark : -42

Experience Points : 6672

Back to top Go down

Post by Spidey Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:05 am

yo-yo's
Spidey
Spidey
Jedi Approval Commitee

+Light/-Dark : 86

Experience Points : 21131
Comments : So many things to tell her,
But how to make her see?
The truth about my past, impossible
She'd turn away from me

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulldog Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:28 am

Ptolemy wrote:like swords? or nuclear weapons.

Portable railguns.

Or maybe a weapon not as clumsy or random as a rifle; an elegant weapon for a more civilized age. Gun Laws 581379
Bulldog
Bulldog
Senator - Jedi Approval Committee

+Light/-Dark : 16

Experience Points : 7091

Back to top Go down

Post by LoneStar Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:28 pm

IMO, guns are basically something that is used to protect yourself in places like America because of its the vast size of terrain. Thugs and robbers can rob you in the house, while the nearest neighbour might be 2-3 km away so if ur getting robbed, noone will know. I dun really see how its bad but at the same time, people abuse the freedom of carrying guns and doing god knows what they want with it other than self protection. Debatable , but in the end, guns wont dissapear from the USA i guess Surprised
LoneStar
LoneStar

Experience Points : 5374

Back to top Go down

Post by Dray The Fingerless Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:44 pm

Freedom, allied to the obvious idiocy of humanity, always turns up with the run of the mill wackos and gunslinging idiots.
Dray The Fingerless
Dray The Fingerless
Senate Representative

Back to top Go down

Post by Dray The Fingerless Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:46 pm

Ptolemy wrote:like swords? or nuclear weapons.

both extremely messy and very very dodgy. nukes just hit cause they have a wide radius. I think guns in general, exceptuating some sniper rifles, are very rudimentary in an age where we can colide two sub atomic particles near perfection. Also, humans are very squishy things. its not hard to make sth that kills them, without the unnacuraccy of bullets or the messyness too.
Dray The Fingerless
Dray The Fingerless
Senate Representative

Back to top Go down

Post by Aardvark Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:36 pm

Bulldog wrote:Portable railguns.

Guns in general are just equalizers, all weapons are. The more advanced a weapon is the less skill it takes to use it effectively, that's why a lot of people dislike guns. I like guns though, with a gun you can take care of yourself. Without weapons whoever is strongest and fastest can come up to you, steal all your stuff and run away before you can call the cops. A weapon makes it harder for someone to use brute force to take your belongings, a gun is simply the most advanced version we can keep on hand.
Aardvark
Aardvark
Prime Minister

+Light/-Dark : -194

Experience Points : 26986
Comments : Likes: Games, Books, Anime, Star Wars.
Dislikes: Punks, Douches, Ignorant People.

Back to top Go down

Post by Champion Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:30 am

Well i will give my experience.

I lived in Central Americas for 2 years as a teen, and EVERYONE carried guns. Not only did they carry guns, but they wore them proudly on their belt, displaying them for all to see that this person was armed.

Mugging and robberies were non existent.

Rape was non existent.

I was going to do a list but now that I think of it, ANY crime involving violence was non existent. The only times those guns were shot was in family feuds, literally like the old west.

I personally owned 3 guns, and I was trained by my father how to engage other humans in a fire fight safely, especially at night time. When I had my gun next to my bed, I felt safe and secure. As if I needed to, I had every means at my disposal to protect my life and my family.

Now, living here in the USA. When I walk the streets at night I have to wonder who is armed, who is going to try and rob me, who will try to rape my girl, who will break into my house, who will take my car, who will take my wallet, who will beat me up cause im in the wrong neighborhood, etc etc. The USA is a violent and sick nation, endorsing violence on TV and in Movies then smacking you across the face of you even dare to emulate those things by arming yourself. Guns keep people sane. They keep you grounded in reality, the fact that your life could end at any moment, and thus you should respect it and those who also have life.
Champion
Champion
Founder

+Light/-Dark : 415

Experience Points : 17160
Comments : Champion (n):

3. An ardent defender or supporter of a cause or another person: a champion of the righteous.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nihil Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:02 pm

Champion wrote:Well i will give my experience.

I lived in Central Americas for 2 years as a teen, and EVERYONE carried guns. Not only did they carry guns, but they wore them proudly on their belt, displaying them for all to see that this person was armed.

Rape was non existent.

I was going to do a list but now that I think of it, ANY crime involving violence was non existent. The only times those guns were shot was in family feuds, literally like the old west.

I personally owned 3 guns, and I was trained by my father how to engage other humans in a fire fight safely, especially at night time. When I had my gun next to my bed, I felt safe and secure. As if I needed to, I had every means at my disposal to protect my life and my family.

Now, living here in the USA. When I walk the streets at night I have to wonder who is armed, who is going to try and rob me, who will try to rape my girl, who will break into my house, who will take my car, who will take my wallet, who will beat me up cause im in the wrong neighborhood, etc etc. The USA is a violent and sick nation, endorsing violence on TV and in Movies then smacking you across the face of you even dare to emulate those things by arming yourself. Guns keep people sane. They keep you grounded in reality, the fact that your life could end at any moment, and thus you should respect it and those who also have life.

Everyone knows that the majority of criminals don't think about the consequences. If someone had pulled out a high powered pistol and shot the loopy guy at Tuscon, the bullet would have penetrated his flesh and hit someone else.

Give me the country name and allow me to do some research.

Time Magazine wrote:Unfortunately, the gun-rights vision of well-armed citizens shooting down an outlaw like Loughner midrampage did not come true in this case. Nationally, less than 1% of all gun deaths involve self-defense; the rest are homicides, suicides and accidents. In a study of 23 high-income countries, the U.S. had 80% of the gun deaths, along with a gun homicide rate nearly 20 times higher than the rest of the sample. Still, the gun-control movement has gotten little political traction outside selected major cities, and all but three states have laws that invalidate local gun restrictions. According to the NRA, 25 states have adopted "your home is your castle" laws that give homeowners wide latitude to shoot people on their property without fear of prosecution, and only 10 states prohibit or severely restrict the carrying of firearms in public.

I have no problem with guns, but what I do know is that if everyone carried guns around and someone happened to be partaking in a robbery, and people started shooting... well lets just say that not everyone has great aim. You'll have more collateral damage than desired.

My uncle owns a shotgun, whatever, thats fine with me, he owns a rifle, cool. But when you start getting into these ridiculously high-powered rifles and AK-47s well, all you can use that for is to kill other people. Imagine a world filled with 18 year olds and above carrying AK-47s slung on their backs... ya, nice world huh?

Additionally, if you think about it, concealed weapons are an even bigger deal than things like AKs because they allow an assailant to move with less suspicion than having a shotgun or AK slung around their back.

Why do you need 32 bullets anyways? To protect yourself at what? 100m? You'd have to be a pretty damn poor shot XD.

Gun control laws are fine, why should I risk my life by allowing lunatics and others to get these crazy tricked out guns that can kill people instantaneously. Guns in the 18th century weren't even reliably fired everytime. Now we have guns that can hit people at over 1000m for civilian use. WTF?

Nihil
Nihil

+Light/-Dark : -912

Experience Points : 12238
Comments : https://www.facebook.com/mattbcarr

Back to top Go down

Post by Champion Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:21 pm

Nihil wrote:
Champion wrote:Well i will give my experience.

Rape was non existent.

Everyone knows that the majority of criminals don't think about the consequences. If someone had pulled out a high powered pistol and shot the loopy guy at Tuscon, the bullet would have penetrated his flesh and hit someone else.

Give me the country name and allow me to do some research.

Time Magazine wrote:Unfortunately, the gun-rights vision of well-armed citizens shooting down an outlaw like Loughner midrampage did not come true in this case. Nationally, less than 1% of all gun deaths involve self-defense; the rest are homicides, suicides and accidents. In a study of 23 high-income countries, the U.S. had 80% of the gun deaths, along with a gun homicide rate nearly 20 times higher than the rest of the sample. Still, the gun-control movement has gotten little political traction outside selected major cities, and all but three states have laws that invalidate local gun restrictions. According to the NRA, 25 states have adopted "your home is your castle" laws that give homeowners wide latitude to shoot people on their property without fear of prosecution, and only 10 states prohibit or severely restrict the carrying of firearms in public.

I have no problem with guns, but what I do know is that if everyone carried guns around and someone happened to be partaking in a robbery, and people started shooting... well lets just say that not everyone has great aim. You'll have more collateral damage than desired.

My uncle owns a shotgun, whatever, thats fine with me, he owns a rifle, cool. But when you start getting into these ridiculously high-powered rifles and AK-47s well, all you can use that for is to kill other people. Imagine a world filled with 18 year olds and above carrying AK-47s slung on their backs... ya, nice world huh?

Additionally, if you think about it, concealed weapons are an even bigger deal than things like AKs because they allow an assailant to move with less suspicion than having a shotgun or AK slung around their back.

Why do you need 32 bullets anyways? To protect yourself at what? 100m? You'd have to be a pretty damn poor shot XD.

Gun control laws are fine, why should I risk my life by allowing lunatics and others to get these crazy tricked out guns that can kill people instantaneously. Guns in the 18th century weren't even reliably fired everytime. Now we have guns that can hit people at over 1000m for civilian use. WTF?

Everyone does not know that. Are you kidding me? Why do you think most criminals carry fire arms? Because they know the consequences of their actions. I doubt statistics will display the truth of what I am saying because in the big cities of Honduras, you get a ton of violence. I am referring to a more rural setting where I lived. Though I am sure the same would apply to a city.

As for gun ownership and collateral damage I am all for people taking mandatory courses in gun safety and proper shooting before they can own one.

As for high powered assault rifles like the AK, sure some practicality needs to be implemented. I would limit any gun that requires 2 hands to use to household defense and property defense only. pistols and smaller 1 handed machine guns should be allowed, such as an UZI. 32 bullets is better than 1. Do you know how dangerous it is to reload in the middle of a fire fight? Why worry about running out of ammo during the one moment in your life you should not have to reload?

And on your last point, sorry but the criminals will always get the tricked out guns etc. They get them illegally, thats why gun control does not work on them. Disarming the populace only enables them to use those weapons more freely. If they had to worry about every single family or person being armed, trust me, things would be different. Even if they were crazy enough to use those weapons, why would they stop if you were UNarmed? Hes gonna attack either way, better to have a means to defend yourself.
Champion
Champion
Founder

3. An ardent defender or supporter of a cause or another person: a champion of the righteous.

Back to top Go down

Post by rsG Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:18 am

Dray The Fingerless wrote:Always found bullets so rudimentary...why cant we develop sth less crude.
I heard some saying, that your comment reminded me of. "god is not cruel, hes practical" i dont have an answer for you, other then that quote.
rsG
rsG

+Light/-Dark : -1

Experience Points : 5979

Back to top Go down

Post by Khensu Meridius Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:36 pm

lots of interesting points in this thread guys. personally, i think the law abiding citizens of our nation should be allowed to own and carry guns if they choose, as long as they can show proficiency with them. just like in rural Honduras, if our everyday citizens are able to adequately protect themselves when they need to, there would be a lot less crime. problem is, with the gun control laws, the only people effected by them are the law abiding citizens! criminals will get their guns no matter what, they are not concerned or effected by these types of laws when dealing with the black market.

also, the typically AK-47 is chambered for 7.62x39mm, which is considered an intermediate rifle round by many people. with that being said, it is more then enough for many applications when engaging targets within 300 yards. I love my AK-47! =)

Khensu Meridius

Experience Points : 4840

Back to top Go down

Post by Dray The Fingerless Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:57 pm

Why love a gun? It is a destructive tool, a symbol of how dumb and idiotic humans can be. Because it makes you safe? The nuclear bombs in Japan made the USA safer by ending the war, but i dont think that makes you love them...it is a sad necessity. Sure i have shooting games, but they are games. They are a conveyor of rage and anger for me, to which i avoid applying in the real world.
Dray The Fingerless
Dray The Fingerless
Senate Representative

Back to top Go down

Post by Ptolemy Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:08 pm

I love my old .410 shot gun because it is the first weapon i have ever fired and it was left to me by my grandpa when he died. It is not the eros or erotic love or even the phileo love like you would love a friend or brother but the kind of love, or intense like, that you would issue a prized possession. some thing you would place in a position of honor, like a family portrait or the ashes of your parents... Smile
Ptolemy
Ptolemy

Back to top Go down

Post by Dray The Fingerless Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:32 pm

That gun has added value. I doubt his AK 47 has that sort of value, other than, uuuu its a gun and it keeps me safe. No person should be enthusiast about a weapon, rather cautious and seriously respectful of what they have. Even lament that they have to have it
Dray The Fingerless
Dray The Fingerless
Senate Representative

Back to top Go down

Post by Ptolemy Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:04 am

Yeah see i was gonna tell a long story about my love hate relationship with my tank in Germany.

Suffice it to say it was a meaningful relationship in which i got and gave.

i will spare you though.

Ptolemy
Ptolemy

Back to top Go down

Post by Dray The Fingerless Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:36 pm

You mean you flipped it.
Dray The Fingerless
Dray The Fingerless
Senate Representative

Back to top Go down

Post by Ptolemy Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:05 pm

hey i CRIED when i thought i killed my tank... it was very traumatic...
Ptolemy
Ptolemy

Back to top Go down

Post by Champion Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:31 pm

Dray The Fingerless wrote:Why love a gun? It is a destructive tool, a symbol of how dumb and idiotic humans can be. Because it makes you safe? The nuclear bombs in Japan made the USA safer by ending the war, but i dont think that makes you love them...it is a sad necessity. Sure i have shooting games, but they are games. They are a conveyor of rage and anger for me, to which i avoid applying in the real world.

Have you ever even shot a gun? It also can be used as a form of entertainment. I love going to the shooting range and popping off a couple hundred rounds.
Champion
Champion
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Ptolemy Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:48 pm

Champion wrote:
Dray The Fingerless wrote:Why love a gun? It is a destructive tool, a symbol of how dumb and idiotic humans can be. Because it makes you safe? The nuclear bombs in Japan made the USA safer by ending the war, but i dont think that makes you love them...it is a sad necessity. Sure i have shooting games, but they are games. They are a conveyor of rage and anger for me, to which i avoid applying in the real world.

Have you ever even shot a gun? It also can be used as a form of entertainment. I love going to the shooting range and popping off a couple hundred rounds.

^this.
Ptolemy
Ptolemy

Back to top Go down

Post by Nihil Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:28 pm

I'm restricting your rights to own guns...

You mad NRA?

Nihil
Nihil

+Light/-Dark : -912

Experience Points : 12238
Comments : https://www.facebook.com/mattbcarr

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next